'Sculpting a Galaxy' booksigning & screening

So what are the chances that PPT presentation could be smuggled outta there and made available to a select few - ME for example :love

the falcon is going to be there after all and I hear the smuggling compartments have been faithfully replicated ;)

Jedi Dade

This has come up in a few posts and some PM's, so I figure I may as well address it now. None of the miniatures on display will be from the Lucasfilm Archives or the tours. They will be replicas. Some will be from my collection. swpropmaker is going to try and bring some, as is echoleader. And, of course, the MR Millennium Falcon will be there, courtesy of Barry and co. There is no way I was even going to ask Lucasfilm for that kind of favor. Both venues are small and we don't have the large display cases a museum has. And I don't even want to guess what the insurance and shipping costs would be to get originals down here.

Besides, I think people, including Lorne, will get a kick out of seeing what we can do replica-wise. FYI, I believe one of the touring exhibits will be in the LA area next year - so we'll get a chance to see the originals soon anyways.

Sorry to disappoint some of you, but I think the event will be worth attending nonetheless.

GK

Time for a quick update.

The event is this coming Saturday. See the first post for all the deatails and location. The booksigning is free and I think the screening is something like $10. I really encourage everyone who wants to go to the screening to get their tickets early, either in person or via fandango.com. The theatre has already presold a bunch of seats and they are anticipating a crowd. The theatre seats about 425. Also, show up early. I think they are going to let people into the lobby early in order to check out the display.

We are going to have a copy of the DVD that's included in the uber-geek edition of the book running on a monitor at the gallery and Lorne will be basing his presentation on that as well. We should also have a copy of the book on hand so you can see firsthand what it looks like. I've seen the DVD and it looks really cool (and actually is probably the book we RPF'ers would probably love).

EchoLeader is coming out and bringing his re-painted MR Y-wing for display. I'm also hoping swpropmaker can put in an appearance since he has been working dilligently on stuff for this event as well. I'm going to have my CC X-wing, a TIE fighter, and the Naboo Fighter psuedo-studio scale model, and a casting off of a chunk o' Deathstar tile on display as well. And of course, the MR Falcon is scheduled to appear (though I am still scratching my head and trying to figure out the logistics of it after seeing the photos on rebelscum of the box.) And maybe a surprise or two.

Lucasfilm has been very generous in providing behind the scenes stills for the display. Stuff I've never seen before - the RBR as the Falcon, the blue striped X-wing, and other making-of stuff.

Van Ling, who produced the DVD for the book as well as the extra goodies on the OT and Prequel DVDs is going to try and make it - and he always has some tricks up his sleeve..... Since this is in LA and more of these guys are local, I'm hoping some of the original ILM guys show up so we can do the Q&A with them as well. I've talked to a few and they're going to try and make it - we'll see.

Hope to see some RPF'ers there......

GK

I wish they would take this show on the road. I wouldn't mind taking the train down to NYC for something like this.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stormy320 @ Dec 4 2006, 10:03 PM) [snapback]1371661[/snapback]</div>
Can you come see the photos, models, and Lorne without purchasing tickets for Star Wars?
[/b]

The booksigning and his little presentation are free - it's in a gallery. We'll have the Falcon, an ATAT, some photos and some other goodies there. The X-wing/TIE/Naboo/Y-wing and their respective photos are going to be in the lobby of the theatre. I don't think its going to be possible to sneak in there without a ticket due to the crowd and the fact that it is a small venue.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GKvfx @ Dec 4 2006, 07:18 PM) [snapback]1371260[/snapback]</div>
I'm going to have my CC X-wing, a TIE fighter, and the Naboo Fighter psuedo-studio scale model, and a casting off of a chunk o' Deathstar tile on display as well. And of course, the MR Falcon is scheduled to appear (though I am still scratching my head and trying to figure out the logistics of it after seeing the photos on rebelscum of the box.) And maybe a surprise or two.
[/b]

Hey, that Naboo Fighter, what´s it based on ? A kit ? Completely scratch built ?

Michael

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ManfromNaboo @ Dec 7 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]1373451[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GKvfx @ Dec 4 2006, 07:18 PM) [snapback]1371260[/snapback]
I'm going to have my CC X-wing, a TIE fighter, and the Naboo Fighter psuedo-studio scale model, and a casting off of a chunk o' Deathstar tile on display as well. And of course, the MR Falcon is scheduled to appear (though I am still scratching my head and trying to figure out the logistics of it after seeing the photos on rebelscum of the box.) And maybe a surprise or two.
[/b]

Hey, that Naboo Fighter, what´s it based on ? A kit ? Completely scratch built ?

Michael
[/b][/quote]

That's a darn good question. It is a kit and I have seen them around the 'net. The story goes was that the digital file was smuggled out of ILM, made watertight and then SLA'd, cleaned up and rotocast. I asked Lorne if he knew anything about that and he didn't. But he did indicate that the digital file did get shipped around to make the full size set, the pyro model, etc. So it is possible. Who knows? It's a nice kit. Large too - about 30". The pilot figure and R2 are actually action figure parts, so I guess that makes the scale around 1/18th. It's about double the size of the Art Department study model, but the pyro model was about 2 1/2 times bigger than this one.

I'm trying to finish the darn thing right now. I've got five sheets of Bare Metal foil Ultra Bright Chrome in front of me and a long night ahead. The only difference I can see between the regular stuff and the Ultra Bright is the thickness of the sheet - and it's not smooting out as well as the regular stuff. I might re-do it. But after the show.

GK

PS - I cannot reccommend highly enough the Tamiya Spray paint I used for the Yellow (TS-47). Great color and the paintjob came out with a racecar finish almost right out of the can.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Dec 7 2006, 03:30 PM) [snapback]1373519[/snapback]</div>
Is this same Naboo fighter SS kit that Monsters in Motion sells?

Sorry to hyjack this farther.
Lynn
[/b]

Yes, I think it is. I got it from Steve this summer. It's actually a fun kit. Each engine is two parts. The main body is one rotocast piece plus a little tip of the tail. Nice casting too.

GK

Tamiya spray paint is great stuff. Have you thought about Alclad Chrome?

Back on topic...

You mentioned Lorne's presentation may be based on the DVD. Is that the presentation that is to be held in the gallery?

And as I understand it, the DVD will be playing in the theater lobby though, correct?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHArchivist @ Dec 8 2006, 07:41 AM) [snapback]1373855[/snapback]</div>
Tamiya spray paint is great stuff. Have you thought about Alclad Chrome?

Back on topic...

You mentioned Lorne's presentation may be based on the DVD. Is that the presentation that is to be held in the gallery?

And as I understand it, the DVD will be playing in the theater lobby though, correct?
[/b]

Actually, Lorne's presentation is going to be off the DVD from the book.. We ditched the PowerPoint thing. Lorne's laptop crashed at ComicCon and it was a mess. So, I'm bringing a monitor and a DVD player. I'll probably run it at some point during the afternoon. (And I think I will superglue the DVD tray shut (just kidding Jedi Dade.......).

Here's the deal about photography. Take all the photos of the models and Lorne that you want. The only thing that is a no-no is taking really close-up photos of the photos and artwork. The stuff was given on the condition that it not get distributed and wind up.....well in places like this. If we play nice and by Mr. Lucas' rules (even if we don't agree with them), we will get to play with the toys again. And I am trying to come up with a way to do this again next year.

The Bare Metal Foil experiment on the Naboo ship was a disaster. I gave up and went to bed around 2am. I'll finish it for the show and then come up with a plan 'B' for myself later. I Used SNJ Aluminum on the nacelles and it looks OK. The Bare Metal foil is shinier, but it has more of a grain pattern. And wrinkles.

EchoLeader is inbound from the East Coast and is hand carrying (insert drum role .mp3 file here) an Escape Pod. Probably just in primer, but it will look cool nonetheless.

GK

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GKvfx @ Dec 8 2006, 05:03 PM) [snapback]1373901[/snapback]</div>

The Bare Metal Foil experiment on the Naboo ship was a disaster. I gave up and went to bed around 2am. I'll finish it for the show and then come up with a plan 'B' for myself later. I Used SNJ Aluminum on the nacelles and it looks OK. The Bare Metal foil is shinier, but it has more of a grain pattern. And wrinkles.

EchoLeader is inbound from the East Coast and is hand carrying (insert drum role .mp3 file here) an Escape Pod. Probably just in primer, but it will look cool nonetheless.

GK
[/b]

Darn, I wish that I could be there and have a look at those models myself.

I just looked at the Naboo Fighter, and its a beauty, especially since it seems to be accurate in scale to the action figures, although it looks like the figure fits in quite tightly. But it still looks better than the Hasbro one.
I really have to get me one of those, but alas, just as with so much stuff in life...

Michael

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back