3' Star Destroyer parts?

Krachenvogel

The great pics posted on Forbidden Plastic have got me curious about the identity of a few key parts used on the 3' Star Destroyer studio model (aka, the Devastator). I know how secretive the studio scale guys tend to be and I understand why, but I figured I'd ask anyhow. What I'm interested in are:

-The two spherical sensor domes / shield generators on top of the bridge
-The four small 'secondary' engine bells on the back
-The main part of the turrets alongside the superstructure. There are four of them (the other side is apparently removed for the mounting armature), and the last one in line looks to be the commander's cupola from an M-60 (presumably the 1/35 Tamiya), but the other three are different. I'm thinking Italeri PzKpfw I turrets, or maybe Tamiya PzKpfw II turrets (though they're probably too small for that). I notice what appears to be a PzKpfw I hull top-center of the stern...

Thanks for any input you folks might have.

-The four small 'secondary' engine bells on the back

Those are small measuring cups. You can get them at any hobby shop. They are plastic with several kinds of measurments, ML, oz, cc, dram, etc.

The turrests I have not really looked for yet.

Someone on another board suggested that the sensor spheres could be a couple of those crystal-style door knobs that were popular in the 70's. Can anyone confirm or refute that? It didn't occur to me to consider sources beyond model kits.

Originally posted by Krachenvogel@Nov 10 2005, 03:48 PM
Someone on another board suggested that the sensor spheres could be a couple of those crystal-style door knobs that were popular in the 70's.  Can anyone confirm or refute that?  It didn't occur to me to consider sources beyond model kits.
[snapback]1113860[/snapback]​

119pt.jpg

;)

Fascinating, thanks Darkside. That's a regular full-size doorknob, yes? I'm kicking around the idea of doing a studio-scale Devastator as a LONG term project, maybe build the hull and add greeblies at my leisure. I don't plan on sweating every single detail part, but there are a few signature features that are key, and those spheres are probably the most important in my mind. I'll have to check out HOBO and the local building salvage shops for knobs like that.

Have correctly-proportioned blueprints of the 3-footer ever been published? I have little confidence in those from WEG supplements and the like.

Originally posted by DARKSIDE72+Nov 10 2005, 10:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DARKSIDE72 @ Nov 10 2005, 10:27 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Krachenvogel
@Nov 10 2005, 03:48 PM
Someone on another board suggested that the sensor spheres could be a couple of those crystal-style door knobs that were popular in the 70's.  Can anyone confirm or refute that?  It didn't occur to me to consider sources beyond model kits.
[snapback]1113860[/snapback]​

119pt.jpg

;)
[snapback]1113918[/snapback]​
[/b]

Study the sensor spheres closely -- the spheres on the 3-footer have much fewer facets. The posted image has a number of facets that is closer to the spheres of 8-footer...

Looks like some type of craft bead from Hobby Lobby or some other place. Could also be some type of chain-end ball on some psychodelic type of bead curtain from the 70's. Something like that.

Maybe someone can get in touch with some ILM'ers and find out.

Somewhat OT, but I have been looking for someone to buildup a 3+' Star Destroyer or Super Star Destroyer after salivating over the screen used at the Boston Museum of Science exhibit. I have tried the modelling boards, and I have contacted a few folks that have done build ups. I know it's a daunting, time consuming, and expensive task, but interested.
Any pointers appreciated.
Tim

Originally posted by DARKSIDE72@Nov 11 2005, 12:17 PM
It has exactly the correct number. And amazingly is the exact size.

anhstardestroyer1582iu.jpg

[snapback]1114265[/snapback]​

I was both correct and incorrect...

The facets of the ANH and ESB models are different, but not so much in number. The shape/style of facets are different.

And as Jaime clearly indicated, the image he posted does match the ANH.

Originally posted by rudolpht@Nov 20 2005, 02:05 PM
Somewhat OT, but I have been looking for someone to buildup a 3+' Star Destroyer or Super Star Destroyer after salivating over the screen used at the Boston Museum of Science exhibit.  I have tried the modelling boards, and I have contacted a few folks that have done build ups.  I know it's a daunting, time consuming, and expensive task, but interested.
Any pointers appreciated.
Tim
[snapback]1119636[/snapback]​

Tell you what, I'll build you one at the same time I build mine. Say $40,000 and a couple of years build time. :lol

Seriously though:
Right now 98% of all donor parts have been positivly ID'd. A few are going to be building. 1.1 prints are being made by a very tallented artisan.
One of the most common misconceptions made about the model is the size. Everyone keeps calling it a 3' star destroyer. The rear is in the 3' wide range, but the hull length is much longer than 3'.

Originally posted by DARKSIDE72@Nov 22 2005, 07:24 AM
One of the most common misconceptions made about the model is the size. Everyone keeps calling it a 3' star destroyer.  The rear is in the 3' wide range, but the hull length is much longer than 3'.
[snapback]1120596[/snapback]​

I've started working on my own drawings for this project, and I was just wondering about that. The dimensions published in Chronicles and Lucasfilm Archives state that the model is 91 x 46 cm, but that doesn't seem to give the correct proportions - it looks too long and skinny. If the 91cm length is correct, the width should be more like 57 cm. Does anyone who knows the correct length and width care to share?

Originally posted by Krachenvogel@Nov 22 2005, 09:32 AM
I've started working on my own drawings for this project, and I was just wondering about that.  The dimensions published in Chronicles and Lucasfilm Archives state that the model is 91 x 46 cm, but that doesn't seem to give the correct proportions - it looks too long and skinny.  If the 91cm length is correct, the width should be more like 57 cm.  Does anyone who knows the correct length and width care to share?
[snapback]1120630[/snapback]​

All measurements taken from those books are terribly incorrect.

Sorry don't know anything about the metric system.

91cm = 35.8"
46cm = 18.1"
57cm = 22.4"

1" = 2.54 cm

There's a photo I just remembered on p 42 of Chronicles which shows the internal frame of the SD next to a yardstick. Just by eyeball, the length from the rear bulkhead to the point at the front where the brim trench walls meet looks to be as much as 40". Overhang from the top and bottom hull pieces will increase that further, so the 4' figure might not be too far off.

Does anyone have a scan of the photo I'm referring to? I'd like to drop it into CAD to do a more refined analysis.

Have the photo but the angle of the camera is off and the model is raised off the work bench considerably.

The model is 4' 5" long...

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back