Propworx Closing its Doors

Re: The Myth of Propworx

Don clearly has an unhealthy obsession with Alec and Propworx that borders on psychosis as evidenced by multiple threads either created or hijacked by him on the subject... I've decided to find it charming.
Ah. And I've decided to find your obsession about my obsession and your pop psychology diagnosis whimsical.

Ok, so Don, you're saying that Alec Peters is leaving himself hanging as well? I see his name listed 9th on that creditors list. So, he's taking a loss too?

Personally, I've never won anything from Propworx (that recent Ironman Mk I kneecap was the only thing I've ever bid on) but I appreciated the auctions, the catalogs and the opportunity the company gave others. I know a few people that did acquire stuff from them and they were over the moon.

Good luck on your future ventures Alec!

Everyone here is so appreciative of Alec and Propworx. That's really nice. But what about the hundreds of thousands of dollars that are owed to Propworx's creditors who will evidently never see a dime? I see not a single sympathetic word to the various companies that helped finance the business, only to get the shaft when things didn't work. Here's the people that Propworx left hanging:

PropworxCred.jpg

This stuff is public record – anyone can find it.

Don, I will hold your feet to the fire every time you subject us all to one of your broken record rants about how Propworx and Alec are the anti-****** without a good reason.

No balanced person could harbor the venom that you routinely inject in to this forum when the subject is Alec Peters or Propworx, without there being a much deeper issue, so I'll come right out and ask it -- what is the real reason you despise Alec and Propworx so much? It's not the bankruptcy, because you were boiling the oil and grabbing your pitchfork well before that came to light. Their bankruptcy filing was just the fuel you needed to start another round of nastiness. It's not because you two exchanged jabs on several collector forums while trying to one up each other. So, what is it? Did he screw you on a deal (in which case we might all want to know so we don't get burned, too)? Were you two bidding on the same item at an auction and he won? Is it some kind of jealousy trip? Did he boink your sister? Seriously, throw us a bone here and help us understand what the deal is if you believe it's something that the rest of us should care about.

I challenge you to share the truth with us.... it might help us understand where you're coming from and why you appear to be so obsessed, because numerous threads started by you and numerous posts on the threads of others here on The RPF, and a few lengthy posts on your own blog, don't just happen because of petty bickering between collectors. They happen because either you were wronged in a big way or because you're off in the head. My money is on the former and I'm sure we'd all like to know what was so terrible to cause you to take every opportunity to relentlessly bash the man.

Ah. And I've decided to find your obsession about my obsession and your pop psychology diagnosis whimsical.

Last edited:

Don, I will hold your feet to the fire every time you subject us all to one of your broken record rants about how Propworx and Alec are the anti-****** without a good reason.

No balanced person could harbor the venom that you routinely inject in to this forum when the subject is Alec Peters or Propworx, without there being a much deeper issue, so I'll come right out and ask it -- what is the real reason you despise Alec and Propworx so much? It's not the bankruptcy, because you were boiling the oil and grabbing your pitchfork well before that came to light. Their bankruptcy filing was just the fuel you needed to start another round of nastiness. It's not because you two exchanged jabs on several collector forums while trying to one up each other. So, what is it? Did he screw you on a deal (in which case we might all want to know so we don't get burned, too)? Were you two bidding on the same item at an auction and he won? Is it some kind of jealousy trip? Did he boink your sister? Seriously, throw us a bone here and help us understand what the deal is if you believe it's something that the rest of us should care about.

I challenge you to share the truth with us.... it might help us understand where you're coming from and why you appear to be so obsessed, because numerous threads started by you and numerous posts on the threads of others here on The RPF, and a few lengthy posts on your own blog, don't just happen because of petty bickering between collectors. They happen because either you were wronged in a big way or because you're off in the head. My money is on the former and I'm sure we'd all like to know what was so terrible to cause you to take every opportunity to relentlessly bash the man.

TRANSLATION:
88_450xNULL.jpg

I live in the real world just like you. As such, I don't weep for MGM. But Peters claimed that NOT ONE CUSTOMER LOST A DIME. Whatever you may think of MGM (or me) you'll have to admit that his statement isn't remotely true, is it? MGM was DEFINITELY a Propworx customer,

Don, you have it the wrong way round I'm afraid.

People who bought things from Alec, are his customers. As far as I know, they are not owed a dime.

Alec bought from MGM. He never sold anything to them.

Alec was the customer of MGM, not vice-versa. MGM were his suppliers.

Alec never said none of my suppliers lost a dime.

Ergo, and until proven otherwise, Alec's statement is in fact, totally true - his customers did not loose a dime.

Alec is only a defaulting by bankruptcy customer of MGM.

The one thing I will DEFINITELY disagree with you about, though, is the term "shrewd" as it pertains to Peters. If you feel using bankruptcy to further one's goals is shrewd, we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree.

Oh he's shrewd, no doubt in my mind about that. You have to be shrewd in order to use legitimate means to your advantage.

------------------------------------------
adj. shrewd·er, shrewd·est
1. Characterized by keen awareness, sharp intelligence, and often a sense of the practical.
2. Disposed to artful and cunning practices; tricky.
3. Sharp; penetrating:
------------------------------------------

Do not confuse shrewdness with ethics or what is morally right and wrong. That is a whole different matter.

I repeat what I said in my previous post : the idyllic principles you are expressing are solid and admirable.

And whether it is legal or not, leaving others with $400,000 worth of your debt is not something I would be particularly proud of. Anyone can play – and lose – with other people's money. A true entrepreneur is the guy that succeeds. The guy that loses and leaves others to clean up his financial mess is a deadbeat, IMO.

To be crystal clear, I agree with most of the above. Although Alec did not say he was proud of that failure, the nonchalant manner in which he mentioned it ...

Propworx was my fourth company and having sold Marketworks for $ 16 million, (I wish got most of that!), I can take a loss on my entrepreneurial record (Which now stands at 1 win, 1 loss and 2 ties) :)

... was, IMO, extremely poor form, that to me, also portrays over-confident arrogance. Sorry Alec, it's the way I see it. I equate that smiley to a raspberry to all the people you owed money to. To make it clear Alec, I don't know you from Adam. Since I have derived no satisfaction from dealing with you, there are certain things that stick out like a sore thumb to my unbiased eyes.

Don, what I also do not agree with is the use of the word 'deadbeat' by you, amongst many others. I say 'by you', because unfortunately, you do indeed seem to have something intrinsically personal against Alec that sparked all this off on your part (which we know nothing about).

Therefore, it is hard for you to express yourself objectively, and more importantly, for others to sift through the personal jabs and see the truthful essence in what you are saying.

Once again, keep in mind that you are addressing an audience who is happy with Alec and the items he sold to them. Which makes your task twice as hard.

That said, I think that some collectors out there, no matter how few, actually DO give a crap about integrity and full disclosure as it concerns those they buy from. That is supported by the many PMs and e-mails I've gotten about this subject.

If Propworx related, they should therefore post their experiences in this thread. It is always good to see any other possible side to a coin directly from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Last edited:

Don, you are a stalker. Pure and simple. You attack me on every post where Propworx is mentioned.

You have ZERO credibility. You have achieved NOTHING in this hobby. You have never built a big company, you know nothing about business.

And let's face facts:

1) You lost out on doing the Battlestar Galactica catalogs because your quote was a joke and you didn't have the skill. You are bitter about this.

2) You are pissed at me for outbidding you on a Kirk costume (which you weren't even the under bidder on)

3) You had the chance to be part of Adam and my purchase of the Gallileo Shutlecraft, but you couldn't act like an adult and Adam jettisoned you. You then wrote several "nasty grams" as Adam put it and blew that relationship.

Don, you are an evil person with a bone to pick. You have no life so you attack me at every chance. What a sad existence you must lead.

Go away. Some of us have things to build.

Alec

The Myth of Don Hildenrand (Newworld)

Well since Don Hildebrand is stalking me on the Internet, and some people have been asked why, I thought I would tell you why Don is stalking me and constantly posting his pathological rants.

1) Don lost out on doing the Battlestar Galactica auction catalogs in 2008 when I was getting bids on them. He lost because his quote was a joke, he couldn't define a scope of work, he wouldn't give me a price and he was claiming he had skills he clearly didn't. He is bitter about this.

2) He is pissed at me for outbidding him on a Kirk costume from It's A Wrap on eBay. he never asked me to step aside, he has simply mentioned it on my forum. I won it, but Don wasn't even the under-bidder! So why he was upset I don't know.

Interestingly, I had stepped aside for him on the Kirk Klingon translator that was at Profiles about the same time. He said he really wanted it, and so I let him have it.

So much for gratitude

3) Don had the chance to be part of Adam Schneiders's and my purchase of the Gallileo Shutlecraft. He had taken some photos of Galileo and wanted to buy in to the project to the tune of $ 25,000. I said OK to Adam, as long as he buried the hatchett with me. But what did he do? he attacked me on this forum immediately! How crazy is that? He couldn't act like an adult and Adam jettisoned him. Don then wrote several "nasty grams", as Adam put it, and blew that relationship.

So Don has continuously exhibited bizarre behavior and his pathological obsession with me is kind of comical at this point.

And I am not the only one. I think Terry said it best here.

Don clearly has a pathological obsession.

Alec Peters

Last edited:
Re: The Myth of Don Hildenrand (Newworld)

Wow. All I can say is that you misspelled my name two different ways. It's "Hillenbrand". As for the rest of it, I've issued you a challenge in my thread. If you can meet my challenge I'll go away and never bother you again.

I'll tell you guys what: I'll issue and "all or nothing" challenge right here on the RPF. Since you all think he's such a swell guy I'll NEVER mention him again if he accepts my challenge. Here goes:

Years ago on his forum (where he can hide in the shadows and say whatever he wants without being challenged) Alec made this statement about me:

“This guy is BAD news and some of you have told me of deals that were less than satisfactory.”

I can produce a screen cap of Alec's post plus his entire forum read it so the fact that it was stated cannot be in question.

So here's the deal: I've never had a bad deal in my life so I challenge you, Alec, to produce these "some of you" people and the details of the supposed deals that were less than satisfactory. It's not possible since they don't exist. So please TELL THE WORLD WHO IT IS I SCREWED.

If you can do this, I'll publicly apologize on every forum and never cross paths with you again. If you can't, it proves you are a liar and you are to never address me again. It's that simple.

So, Mr. Integrity, what do you say?

Don Hillenbrand (notice the spelling for cryin' out loud.

BTW, my complete Alec experience can be found here:
Wrath of Dhan Prop Blog: Off Topic Treatise: My Experience With Alec Peters

For ease of reference, here are newworlds' full comments relating to Propworx closing its doors / bankruptcy, that are pertinent to the understanding of the developing comments in this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

There used to be a prop and costume reseller called Propworx which was run by a guy named Alec Peters. Mr. Peters fancied himself to be quite the entrepreneur. He had only started collecting screen-used props and costumes in 2006 when Christie's had their big "40 Years of Star Trek" auction, but in 2009 he decided that he would show the world just how the prop business should be run by creating Propworx.

Fast forward to August of 2012 and Propworx files for bankruptcy. And not just any form of bankruptcy either. There was no "restructuring" to allow for repayment of debts or anything like that. Propworx underwent Chapter 7 – liquidation. How surprising then, that a mere two months later we are told that Propworx is back! Did they repay their creditors? No. They owed $401,466 to various creditors including MGM which was Propworx's customer for the Stargate auctions (MGM produced the various Stargate incarnations). And they didn't repay a cent. The bankruptcy court was under the impression that Propworx had no assets and so could not repay anything. The bankruptcy was settled on October 1.

So lots of people were surprised when, just one week later, Propworx was apparently selling props again. Here's what was sent around by Alec Peters to potential buyers:

"We have new BSG, Star Trek, Stargate, Iron Man and Hulk items up on eBay.

linnear | eBay

Or check out seller name Linnear.

There are 50 items this week and we have at least two more weeks of auctions! We had a bunch of new consignments come in recently and are cleaning out some of my personal collection. Dean is now working part time with me to clear out the warehouse and get auction items up. He can be reached at dean@propworx.com.

Thanks for all your support!

Alec Peters"

So just a week previously, Propworx had no assets. Then, as if by magic, one week later they do. That's amazing.

But no more amazing than Propworx itself. Here's what Mr. Peters had to say when Propworx closed:

"While we have done some great work, and the Battlestar auctions remain the pinnacle of that type of studio event auction, it is time to move on. And I really have no interest in just buying or selling props like The Prop Store or Screen Used (who both do an awesome job) or doing eBay auctions like VIP (which also does good work and I have recommended to studios). Our specialty was always event auctions accompanied by the best auction catalogs ever."

Propworx auctions are the pinnacle? I bet MGM would disagree with that, as would all of Propworx's other creditors. And that's where the myth comes in.

Ask yourself this: how successful would you consider yourself to be if you had $400,000 of other people's money that you agreed to pay, then didn't? Is that ANYONE'S idea of success? Yes – Alec Peters'. In his posts about Propworx there were many boasts about how they redefined the business and had great catalogs and such. But there's not one single word about the $400,000 that he was able to magically make disappear via bankruptcy court. There were no apologies to the companies he victimized nor any concern whatsoever about how PW's bankruptcy would affect those creditors. If you bought something from Propworx and had a positive experience, that's great. But you should know that it was at someone else's expense. That Stargate prop you got? It might not have ever been paid for – your money may have gone straight into Alec's pocket.

Here's another post from Peters accepting accolades for his work:

"Thank you all for the kind words! Propworx was an auction house that we built and did the things that we as collectors wanted to see. Thus the awesome catalogs, the state of the art COA's, the holograms, etc. "

That, in a nutshell, was what was important to the PW experience: pretty catalogs and COAs with holograms. Not spending money responsibly and fulfilling their contractual obligations to customers like MGM. Nope. Their attitude appears to be "we owe MGM and other creditors hundreds of thousands of dollars? Who cares? We have catalogs and holograms." All hat, no cattle.

Is that YOUR idea of success? Is that what entrepreneurialism is about? Not in my opinion.

And THAT is the myth of Propworx. I've been in business for 20 years and I can tell you that success claimed at the expense of others is not success at all. It's pillaging. It's recklessness. But it's not success.

Not in this writer's opinion, anyway.

LLAP

Don Hillenbrand

--------------------------------------------------------------

Original text here.

Mate, take it off board. We don't care. This is between you and him.

It's not about everyone here thinking Alec is 'a swell guy', it's about you continually starting threads about him, and acting like a stalker. You're doing much more damage to your rep than his.

Are you guys aware of what a pair of pre-teen drama queens you are coming across like?

No-one cares about your pointless feud. I'm tired of seeing it everywhere. Please take it off-board before you both get banned.

I agree! This is my FIRST thread about Don, where as he has posted countless times. Maybe speak up sooner, and tell the Admins (who refuse to do anything) because I don't want to be wasting my time talking about a stalker.

Alec

Last edited:

Mate, take it off board. We don't care. This is between you and him.

It's not about everyone here thinking Alec is 'a swell guy', it's about you continually starting threads about him, and acting like a stalker. You're doing much more damage to your rep than his.

Thank you. EXACTLY.

If anybody is being stalked anywhere (not just on this board), file a police report. Stalking is a crime. Present your evidence to the proper law enforcement authorities and let them deal with it. Otherwise, please stop using the term. Stalking is no joking matter.
James

Well, maybe you shoudl have said that before so Don would stop posting. This is my FIRST thread about Don, where as he has posted countless times. Maybe speak up sooner, and tell the Admins (who refuse to do anything) because I don't want to be wasting my time talking about a stalker.

Alec

I think that was covered pretty well in the other thread by myself and others. By starting this completly needless 'response' thread, you look as bad as him.

I suggest you both start acting like adults and stop posting this crap before the mods stop it for you.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back