Batman Begins Batsuit Closet

Bumping after 18 months because I am rebuilding this from scratch! This time, correctly scaled. So far I have a back wall done, new larger shelves, side walls mostly finished, and all new suit parts courtesy of coofunkcurly.

14aoCa2.jpg

This beast stands at about 80" tall, (and will get another 4" or so once the feet are added) and is about 48" wide. It's utterly massive.

New armor pieces badly need an accurate 2 piece neoprene undersuit. Contact me if you can help!

The equipment case is a Pelican 1720 rifle case. The plaque came on the case that my Bronze Armory Begins belt shipped in years ago. That belt and it's case were pretty crap, but I kept the little plaque that Allan made. I would guess any trophy shop or engraver could make one up.

The foam is the foam that came in the case. One of the reasons I chose the 1720 is that it comes with flat foam instead of egg crate texture. As for the template cutouts for the equipment, an electric carving knife (sold in the hunting section of your local outdoors/hunting store) does a great job of slicing up intricate shapes. Just trace an outline and keep a slow, steady hand.

The schematic drawings I think came from someone here. Just print em out and laminate them. The belt and grapple ones are pretty accurate. The memory cloth one is fan concept.

http://seraphim.ecsis.net/~gregday/schematics/Utility Belt Info Card.jpg

http://seraphim.ecsis.net/~gregday/schematics/Grapple Gun Info Card.jpg

http://seraphim.ecsis.net/~gregday/schematics/Memory Cloth Info Card.jpg
Can't access the link: 404 not found and what did you use for the cable?

wish i could do wood work like that i stayed on the save side:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451035451.282668.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451035485.648730.jpg

Im looking forward seeing how you make this cabinet

happy holidays !

Case foam has since been replaced with custom cut rigid PE foam. Belt and accessories are missing since they are currently being redone.

image1.jpeg

IMG_4454.jpg

And I got the original screen used Wayne Enterprises data plate to mount on the outside of my case.
IMG_3524.jpg

And a correction, my case is a 1700, not a 1720.

Last edited:
Case foam has since been replaced with custom cut rigid PE foam. Belt and accessories are missing since they are currently being redone.

http://seraphim.ecsis.net/~gregday/image1.jpeg
http://seraphim.ecsis.net/~gregday/IMG_4454.jpg

And I got the original screen used Wayne Enterprises data plate to mount on the outside of my case.
http://seraphim.ecsis.net/~gregday/IMG_3524.jpg

And a correction, my case is a 1700, not a 1720.
That is so awesome!!!
send you a PM ;)

grts
jeroen

Lid foam is done for the equipment case. I think this subproject is all wrapped up except for waiting on the new belt to be done.

prYu7y6.jpg

On the armoire front:
- Floor/legs attached
- Ceiling lights installed
- Cowl mount done

rhsLL0J.jpg

Going to need to build a new torso mount with articulated arm supports to get the suit pose just right. That's probably 2-3 weeks out. Still working on finding the right undersuit. Contact me if you can help.

Getting closer. This thing now stands at 83" tall. Will probably get another 2" from the top trim and casing.

Last edited:
Today's work was all about the suit mount. I initially planned to use a white or beige jersey covered torso form to closely match the original photo, but the torso form that the articulated arms attach to is just so good, I tried it out. So, after trimming down the neck and the hips with the jigsaw, I was very impressed with how well it worked. I considered moving the shoulder cups over to my white form, but the shoulders aren't really designed for that. I still might strip away the black jersey and put on white, but this is definitely the form to go with.

The other big thing is I finally looked at all my scrap metal parts and figured out how I want to do the mount. A 5/8" threaded steel rod right through the back wall of the closet, with big washers and hex nuts on either side. No wiggle at all. You could literally support the entire piece on this rod.

Then a base bolted (not screwed) right onto the torso form, with a wing nut to tighten it. Also no wiggle on that end. The steel rod goes right through the torso form and butts up against the inside front for the best support.

wWbpDgE.jpg

So, so glad to have this thing off the utility cart and properly mounted. Next I begin serious work on the undersuit and the front doors.

Cape is missing right now because there's still some wood and fiberglass dust in the closet and I was too impatient to clean up before snapping a progress pic.

igNSMoh.jpg

Now with cape!

3uC4BSD.jpg

I'm still not 100% sure on the lighting. Using any combination overhead, room lighting, or sunlight from a nearby window produces very different looks both in photos and in person.

Began work on the front doors, starting with the ring medallion. Thanks to RPF member hdtheater who made the 3D model and carved this for me out of MEDEX MDF:

A1I5J4n.jpg

I've sealed it and begun laying on the coats of paint that will ultimately give it the golden color -- but not too shiny:

yyWue1e.jpg

Work still continues on the front doors. I'm having the handle rosettes 3D printed, and I'm taking my very careful time getting the hinges and handles just right. Not much to report on that.

Other than that, there is the Wayne Enterprises equipment case: one "sub-project" of my Begins project (the main part being the Batsuit Armoire) but there is another little sub-project: a nice display for my real deal League of Shadows Ninja Gauntlets.

L0QnaIj.jpg

I picked up a decorative trunk from a home decor store and made a few modifications. First I used #000 steel wool and Brasso to rub most of the black off the brass parts and make them a little shiny again. Then I got some burnt umber paint and black acrylic wash and recolored the wooden areas to match my armoire better. Then I lined the interior with vinyl.

KylTeFa.jpg

JSkLHrq.jpg

TODO:
- Use the dark red fabric to create another layer of protective, padded lining inside. It's a little ostentatious for the Dark Knight, but the idea is that this is stuff from the LoS monastery, and fits in more with (fake) Ra's al Ghul's style of clothing.

- Replace the side handles with pull bars/short poles, sort of 'shrine' style.

- Add hanger mounts for the gloves to slide down over, inside the lid.

My absolutely favorite detail is the medallion I added to the front. Not too on-the-nose I hope :)

3gf6MWO.jpg

Looking great Greg. Fantastic job. for a second i thought the giant circle was Wonder WOmans Shield. Kind of looks like it, just at quick glance. Great work. Keep it up man.

Best Begins display I've seen. And I've always admired your closet. Mine is so sub par in comparison. But, I am starting to do some refit on it. Would love to know where/how you got the design for the gear mechanism for the insides. I once sent me a message about the modello on the front. Still, stunning after all these years. Hope you are still very proud of it!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Baby steps on the closet, but been trying to get these right for a long time. Handle rosettes! With the help of Futurescape3D on the RPF, these were printed with a metallic brass composite for some added durability and weight. I put the first few layers of paint and polish on them last night, and have a little more to go before they are ready. This is almost all the pieces needed to build out the front doors. I've decided that, unlike my 1.0 attempt at the armoire, this version will correctly have both the upper and lower handles. But perhaps only the upper set will be functional to the door mechanism.

Still needed: external lock and rattan for the lower section.

wTMhfOp.jpg

sfCEYxn.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back