Batman Begins Batsuit Closet

fsdKWQw.jpg

Completely rebuilt the handle arches to space them wider apart so the gears on the inside will turn.

Bottom grille frames cut and stained. Just need to cut some grooves into the reverse side so they can lay flat over the mesh and then that can be fully assembled. The reference material kind of sucks, so I did the best I could with the grille frame color. It's Minwax, about 2/3 Red Mahogany and 1/3 Ebony. Will look black in low light and very dark reddish brown in bright light.

The plan is to stain the inside of the doors and crown molding, and have the doors mounted by end of weekend. Getting very close now.

Already starting to do some final waxing/poly and polishing.

9qgEVES.jpg

Door insides are stained, and I figured how to secure the gears to the handle axles. I may end up doing 1 vertical lock and 1 horizontal (as is accurate) after all due to one handle being looser than the other.

Just waiting on stain to dry and then I believe I'll be ready to mount the doors. However since it's 6PM that may not be today :)

Trying to not get ahead of myself and get sloppy as things are wrapping up.

This is so freakin awesome. I have dreamed of creating a display like this. Your attention to detail is unbelievable!! Incredible work!!!!!

LCK28YE.jpg

5Kx5kho.jpg

Got a punch list of little items to fix up:
- Crown molding trim pieces need to be detailed (there are 3 dots to carve in every curved section) and stained
- Cut the hole(s) in the ceiling for the locking post(s) to insert. In doing so, decide whether I want both vertical or one vertical/one horizontal
- Thin cover pieces need to be attached on the outer front edges to cover the outer halves of the hinges
- The bottom handles came loose while staining the door backs, so need to re-secure those
- Pressure switch in the door to auto activate the overhead lights
- Find some sort of diffuser cover for the lights so they aren't so intense and focused
- Mount Batarangs!

Gear rack mounting tonight. So, due to reasons I'll need to mount the right assembly vertically, and the left assembly horizontally. But that's okay -- that's accurate!

However, what's not accurate is that I won't be able to put one of the lock bar bracers right on the edge of the door. There just isn't room. So both will go on the inner side of the gear... which is okay. The gear still turns and the bar still moves smoothly and securely. I will however need to trim that bar so only about 2 inches protrudes over the door edge.

So basically, the right door will lock into the ceiling, and the left door will lock into the right door.

n5Szj4v.jpg

A few more small sub-projects wrapping up. I have now (what I believe to be the first ever) accurate replica Grapple Gun darts. These are 3D printed resin by Futurescape3D. I need to bore out a deeper opening in the gun barrel to push them in all the way.

W9qy210.jpg

LP7SVre.jpg

4JyTZkB.jpg

VEpoZ4j.jpg

Photos of the 100% finished closet coming soon.

Update on the Batman 1989 project (maybe that should be a separate thread?):

Custom foam is finished for the Batman (1989) weapons.

y9Cwal1.jpg

M1ee2At.jpg

Almost everything fits perfectly, except the batarang. I mistakenly used my resin batarang for this cutout shape, and this metal one has slightly different curves at the tips and won't fit (all the props you see here are metal, including the emblem). That's OK , won't be too hard to fix.

This block is about 36" tall, so my vault will be around 42-44". The idea is to use the movie suit vault as the basis for the design, but instead of having a suit in the vault and the weapons on the inner side of the door, use the entire smaller scale vault as the weapons holder. I'll build with a rotating wheel handle and interlocking bars and pins, but the vault will be mixed construction media with a convincing paint job instead of being actual iron or steel. Other than my 89 utility belt, I have no plans to build an 89 batsuit.

Also planning to modify the gauntlet to add a lock and trigger. It has the full range of motion and a tight spring to make the barrels flip out, but nothing to lock and release them. There's no reason that part couldn't be made fully functional, even if the gas cylinders are never able to shoot anything.

Your working on the Batman 89 vault too. I know you're not putting a suit in it, but that still awesome! Very jealous of both projects. Your attention to detail is mind blowing!!!!

A few more small sub-projects wrapping up. I have now (what I believe to be the first ever) accurate replica Grapple Gun darts. These are 3D printed resin by Futurescape3D. I need to bore out a deeper opening in the gun barrel to push them in all the way.

That is FRAKKING awesome, dude. I've been waiting for somebody to do this. They look perfect!

Picked up a copy of Volume 3 of "The Ha Ha Times", the Jokerized defaced version of The Gotham Times from the viral marketing campaign.

fEmX43d.jpg

yjfJjMv.jpg

LKgnEh7.jpg

I had assumed these were just alternate prints of the regular Gotham Times newspapers, but they aren't. It appears they started out as regular versions and all the crazy ransom-note style cut & paste lettering is really pasted, and the ink they used for the blood is really soaked in; those spots have a different texture.

Anyone know how many of these Jokerized versions they made for the campaign?

Having completed my Wayne Enterprises equipment case ( Batman Begins "Wayne Enterprises" transport case -- Finished pics on pg. 3 ), I decided to have another go at the finish on my Batsuit closet. It never sat right with me how orange it came out, and I mixed up a couple of different red tints and restained this weekend. Next I'm going to add the missing side details, and then poly coat the whole thing.

Attachments

• IMG_5987.jpeg
    IMG_5987.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_5985.jpeg
    IMG_5985.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 134
Update on the Batman 1989 project (maybe that should be a separate thread?):

Custom foam is finished for the Batman (1989) weapons.

y9Cwal1.jpg

M1ee2At.jpg

Almost everything fits perfectly, except the batarang. I mistakenly used my resin batarang for this cutout shape, and this metal one has slightly different curves at the tips and won't fit (all the props you see here are metal, including the emblem). That's OK , won't be too hard to fix.

This block is about 36" tall, so my vault will be around 42-44". The idea is to use the movie suit vault as the basis for the design, but instead of having a suit in the vault and the weapons on the inner side of the door, use the entire smaller scale vault as the weapons holder. I'll build with a rotating wheel handle and interlocking bars and pins, but the vault will be mixed construction media with a convincing paint job instead of being actual iron or steel. Other than my 89 utility belt, I have no plans to build an 89 batsuit.

Also planning to modify the gauntlet to add a lock and trigger. It has the full range of motion and a tight spring to make the barrels flip out, but nothing to lock and release them. There's no reason that part couldn't be made fully functional, even if the gas cylinders are never able to shoot anything.
Have you done anything else to your 89 Batman display?

Not really. I built a frame around the foam so it can stand up against the wall, but I don't really yet have a vision for how this ends up. I'd like to do something sort of in the motif if the 89 vault, but I haven't worked it all out yet. Since these pictures, I've also added the Time Bomb, Batmobile Remote, and Valor's excellent Bolo Launcher and Tranq Dart speargun attachments. So it doesn't help that I keep needing to redesign the entire layout :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back