Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
    Aug 17, 2012, 2:33 PM - Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #1

From the scene in Batman Begins when Bruce rushes down to the cave to go after Rachel at Arkham.

There's also this photo, a promotional shot released during the production of Begins that served as my original inspiration:

And finally, after about 4 years of already working on this, I came in contact with the set designer and production designer for the film, and got my hand on a couple of photos from the set of the actual armoire itself in full detailed color. This much was never seen on film, so there was no need for me to go as far as I did (no one will ever recognize the detail, but I would know...)

The cowl and gauntlets are real deal, cast by Infrno. He also cast the armor and is responsible for the final look and undersuit mounting. The initial sculpt was Dullam's V3. Belt and Grapple Gun sculpted by Keith Billanti, completed and painted by Johan Leiter. Boots are from Herowares, which I believe David Pea was responsible for before his UD Replicas venture. Cape is inkmonkey's, the best around, period. Steel batarangs are from synasp.

All I can really take credit for is building the armoire and getting everything together.

The armoire is made from the absolute cheapest pine wood I could find and took me a very long time to stain to my liking. I've installed overhead lights that come on when the doors open too. I know I still don't have the bottom set of door handles, and I'm okay with that The ones I do have are linked up to wooden gear assemblies inside the doors. Turn the handles just like Bruce does, and the wooden posts unlock the doors so it can open. The hardware all steel or brass.

Aug 17, 2012, 2:42 PM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #2

I forgot to mention, I started getting into props in 2005 after seeing Begins and thinking it would be cool to have a real metal batarang. Then things just went out of control from there After I got a cowl I wanted a good way to display it, and decided to go all the way and build the armoire. I'm not quite at liberty to say what I paid for each piece since I didn't make those myself. But I probably spent close to $1600 on various pieces and experiments getting the armoire to the point it's at today. I think I started on it in 2006.

Specifically I am proud of the overall appearance and astonishment on the face of someone who opens the doors for the first time. I spent a very long time getting subtle details about lighting, shadows, angles, color blends, all pitch perfect so that when you see it, you really feel transported to another world. My favorite thing is when I see a grown man open the doors, and just burst into uncontrollable joy because they know they are seeing Batman's own suit. It's childlike wonder and it's irreplaceable. Materially, I really like those batarangs. They are heavy and hard and could really mess you up. Can't take credit for making them though
    From
    Chandler, AZ
    Aug 17, 2012, 3:38 PM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #3

This is Incredible, no other words needed
    From
    Slovenia
    Aug 17, 2012, 4:01 PM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #4

Pure awesomeness.
  5. Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Aug 17, 2012, 4:08 PM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #5

what!? This total epic awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    From
    Los Angeles
    Aug 17, 2012, 4:16 PM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #6

This thread is winning

Whose BB suit build is that? Or is that your own? It looks really clean, may even be cleaner than the screen used one!

I've seen that kind of utility belt setup both here and on eBay, who built that and is it wearable?
  7. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Aug 17, 2012, 4:33 PM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #7

Fantastic!
    Aug 17, 2012, 4:45 PM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #8

sleeprfocus said: View Post
    This thread is winning

Whose BB suit build is that? Or is that your own? It looks really clean, may even be cleaner than the screen used one!

I've seen that kind of utility belt setup both here and on eBay, who built that and is it wearable?
    In the post I explained where the suit came from. Most of the credit should go to Infrno, who cleaned up the Dullam V3 and made it look laser cut. he also nicely tinted the urethane to make it look like foam, while keeping the bat emblem slightly glossy. That part isn't screen accurate, but it does look great.

The belt was built by Johann Leiter, but the original sculpt is Keith Billanti. The awesome paint job is all Leiter. The equipment is in a Pelican 1720 rifle case.

Everything is 100% wearable. Also, notice I never acquired the suit legs. The goal from day 1 was the armoire display.
    From
    New York city
    Aug 17, 2012, 4:48 PM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #9

Super awesome! The belt and weapons looks great too!
  10. Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Aug 18, 2012, 6:53 AM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #10

That's amazing!
  11. Coldhands RPF Premium Member Sundowner's Avatar
    From
    Midwest
    Aug 18, 2012, 7:16 AM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #11

AWESOME! DO WANT!
    From
    Gotham City
    Aug 18, 2012, 3:26 PM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #12

awesome replica
  13. Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Hereford
    Aug 18, 2012, 3:46 PM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #13

Looks great,
  14. Coldhands RPF Premium Member Sundowner's Avatar
    From
    Midwest
    Aug 18, 2012, 4:44 PM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #14

I can't get over how cool this is. I need a new project to tackle and this may be it!
  15. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Aug 18, 2012, 6:35 PM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #15

You're my hero!!
  16. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Aug 18, 2012, 8:07 PM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #16

oh man, this is so awesome, the word "awesome" doesn't even cut it!
    From
    Tucson, AZ
    Aug 19, 2012, 3:25 AM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #17

This is ridiculous in a wonderful way. Great collection, man!
    From
    Toulon, France
    Aug 19, 2012, 6:26 AM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #18

Wish I could be able to do the same for my collection
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Aug 19, 2012, 8:18 AM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #19

I think...you just won the Internet
  20. Coldhands RPF Premium Member Sundowner's Avatar
    From
    Midwest
    Aug 19, 2012, 8:34 AM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #20

Ok I'm doing it. Greg I may bend your ear soon.
    From
    Manila, Philippines
    Aug 23, 2012, 2:01 AM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #21

The Begins suit is my absolute favorite among all the incarnations. I'm so happy I stumbled upon this. I've always wanted this particular display ever since I saw it in the movie. The work you've done is absolutely stunning. This is the only way I'd choose to store and display a BB outfit (if I owned one haha)

Amazing work and thank you for sharing!
  22. Member Since
    Apr 2012
    Aug 23, 2012, 9:04 AM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #22

That's awesome work.
  23. planet is offline planet
    Aug 23, 2012, 9:31 AM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #23

Its what everyone dreams to have . That is by far the nicest cowl I have EVER seen.
  24. RPF Premium Member Psab keel's Avatar
    Aug 23, 2012, 11:07 AM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #24

Are you sure you didn't break into Wayne Manor and steal all of this amazing gear? Or break onto the film set and steal it?

Incredible Batgear, and a killer display replica of the wardrobe closet. I wish I had the muscles to fill out a Batsuit, or at least the room to tackle large prop projects like that wardrobe. So freaking awesome!
    Aug 23, 2012, 12:01 PM - Re: Batman Begins Batsuit Closet #25

Thanks everyone. I was definitely going for the "stolen from Wayne Manor" look and feel. I love how the armoire itself doesn't stand out too much. At most it just looks like an old, beat-up, Eastern import. It doesn't draw that much attention just sitting in the corner of a room.

I'll try to get some pictures of the inner parts later that show how the suit and cowl mounts are made, and the door-activated lighting and gear lock system.