eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!!

I too think the weathering might be a little heavy-handed, but the STYLE of weathering is pretty spot on. While Stephen Lane's helmet is pretty pristine in comparison, the one area of weathering on it, looks very similar to the weathering Gino did on the eFX helmet.

View attachment 108505

Couple of points:

- After going to the recent display here in Orange County, I have to say I too was a bit surprised by the used of "spray can" weathering on the original props. Not entirely surprising given my experience with props/models and working in the field, though.

- As for the purists that insist that they be vac-formed - it's one thing to build them fast/dirty/cheap for a production. And yes, we RPF'ers are a dedicated (and picky) audience, demanding authenticity wherever possible. But eFX has be concerned with other things - building things that are going to last, building things with a perceived value to them. How many times have you picked up a real prop and been amazed at what a piece of junk it is? It's one thing to pay a premium for the real thing (because it's "real") - but to pay a premium for a replica that comes off just plain shoddy? Can you imagine the complaints and returns? And can you imagine the issues down the road if the vacform styrene were to start splitting or cracking? Lucasfilm for one, wouldn't stand for it.

At a certain point, you have to accept that your replica is just that - a replica. But by making this "replica" out of materials superior to the original, and (in the case of this particular piece) sourcing it off of original parts/molds/bucks from LFL, I think we are going to wind up with a stunning piece, that will be virtually indistinguishable from the real thing to the untrained eye.

- Nice post Gino......

Gene

Couple of points:

- After going to the recent display here in Orange County, I have to say I too was a bit surprised by the used of "spray can" weathering on the original props. Not entirely surprising given my experience with props/models and working in the field, though.

- As for the purists that insist that they be vac-formed - it's one thing to build them fast/dirty/cheap for a production. And yes, we RPF'ers are a dedicated (and picky) audience, demanding authenticity wherever possible. But eFX has be concerned with other things - building things that are going to last, building things with a perceived value to them. How many times have you picked up a real prop and been amazed at what a piece of junk it is? It's one thing to pay a premium for the real thing (because it's "real") - but to pay a premium for a replica that comes off just plain shoddy? Can you imagine the complaints and returns? And can you imagine the issues down the road if the vacform styrene were to start splitting or cracking? Lucasfilm for one, wouldn't stand for it.

At a certain point, you have to accept that your replica is just that - a replica. But by making this "replica" out of materials superior to the original, and (in the case of this particular piece) sourcing it off of original parts/molds/bucks from LFL, I think we are going to wind up with a stunning piece, that will be virtually indistinguishable from the real thing to the untrained eye.

- Nice post Gino......

Gene

You said it Gene :)
They've got a difficult job deciding how to make their products.

Do the majority of collectors want a helmet/saber/ship that exactly replicates the movie prop? (cheaply made, roughly weathered, detailed for a few seconds on film)
Or do they want an item that looks like the movie prop (shape, color, detail) but is of more robust construction with more subtle (realistic?) weathering and more detail? More of a replica of what a "real" helmet/weapon/ship would look like.

Is there enough of a market for both?

I guess I'm not a true prop purest. I like that my eFx X-wing has a detailed cockpit and Luke pilot. I know the film SS were not as detailed, but it looks really nice on my shelf :)

It would be nice if they did the highend vac formed etc and the lesser one in the fiberglass

I wish it was vacuum formed as well, but to do that the way the originals were made, each helmet would have to have a tremendous amount of hand cleanup and assembly, making mass production all but impossible and quality control an absolute nightmare. While I am against using fiberglass, I reluctantly have to admit, from a business perspective, it is a much smarter option for them to take.

I like it.

I would like to see the visor vacuformed so it doesn't show the fiberglass. Either way, nice job.

This is really beautiful. I agree the weathering is a bit heavy handed, but the technique reflects the originals, however it appears there are also some subtle scuffs on the original, probably actual wear from being used that lightly contrast the intentional sprays. It might just be that the replica version looks clean otherwise for the sprays, lacking the contrast of the other wear marks.

This is really beautiful. I agree the weathering is a bit heavy handed, but the technique reflects the originals, however it appears there are also some subtle scuffs on the original, probably actual wear from being used that lightly contrast the intentional sprays. It might just be that the replica version looks clean otherwise for the sprays, lacking the contrast of the other wear marks.

Bingo!

I understand the debate on fiberglass being more production and QC friendly but I still wish they would do a small run of vac-formed pieces assembled like the originals and charge a premium for them. Then do a larger run of fiberglass pieces and make that the limited version.

Too me just the weathering is too small of a difference between calling it a Legend and a Limited version.

These look really good! I definitely dig the clean version more. I don't have the rest of the trooper suit, but I've kind of wanted a scout trooper helmet.

Too me just the weathering is too small of a difference between calling it a Legend and a Limited version.
This is where I am hung up. I would not pay a premium for either piece, as cool as they are. They should just stick with the plain white and leave it alone. I don't really care how it looked on screen, but if it looked like something I can replicate with 30 seconds and a $5 can of Krylon, I can't see raising the price on it.

Nix the "weathering" and just release the white.

This is where I am hung up. I would not pay a premium for either piece, as cool as they are. They should just stick with the plain white and leave it alone. I don't really care how it looked on screen, but if it looked like something I can replicate with 30 seconds and a $5 can of Krylon, I can't see raising the price on it.

Nix the "weathering" and just release the white.

I would like to see this next to an Altmanns since that is supposedly derived from a screen used helmet as well

Most of our target demographic (which are not specifically do it yourself prop savvy folks) don't have the skills or inclination to weather their own collectible.
For one, it devalues the piece.
Also, just because the weathering job 'looks' simplistic doesn't mean it's simple to achieve a relatively same look as the originals.
I can see a lot of people attempting to weather their own and realizing the hard way they messed up one expensive collectible.
Not as easy as it looks, especially for those without a lot of practice.

I am pleased to see the weathering is faithful, I admit I knew nothing about how it was on the originals before I made my comment LOL I really hope to be able to get a clean version when they go on sale!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back