Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Aug 16, 2012, 1:15 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #26

well, there goes more of my hard earned cash.
    Aug 16, 2012, 1:16 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #27

If the only difference between the two is the weathering I think I will be purchasing the clean one, especially if a premium is being put on the weathered version. I can weather it myself and while helmets that have been weathered in the factory in the past (ie. X-Wing Helmets) are pretty good for a factory job they always leave me wanting something more.

The other criticism I have is the visible fiberglass on the inside of the visor. It doesn't look right and I hope something is done about it. Perhaps the visor could be made of injection moulded plastic or something.

I also wish these would be made with the same materials and methods as the originals but I know that is not going to happen due to QC issues. Because of this I don't think it should be called a Legend as it does not follow the criteria that EFX first established for the Legend line.

Otherwise this is looking to be very nice and has a great provenance having been cast from an original mould.

Any idea when these will be for pre-sale?
    Last edited by Zenwalker; Aug 16, 2012 at 1:22 PM.
    From
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Aug 16, 2012, 1:20 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #28

I wonder if these will sell as quickly as the Legend Vader? I'm looking forward to this helmet. I also hope that this line continues and that a Boushh helmet is offered before too long.
  4. joey the brown is offline joey the brown
    Aug 16, 2012, 1:22 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #29

Zenwalker said: View Post
    I
    Otherwise this is looking to be very nice and has a great provenance having been cast from an original mould.
    But is hasn't been cast from the original mold. It is a second gen casting once they poured silicon onto the forming masters. That is the point where they are trying to fudge the lines.
    Aug 16, 2012, 1:24 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #30

jedimaster said: View Post
    The originals had rattle can overspray hence the same on this. Also ya may get a better response if you don't call Gino...Gina.
    Whoops! No idea what I was thinking when typing that.

My apologies, Gino.
    Aug 16, 2012, 1:26 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #31

joey the brown said: View Post
    But is hasn't been cast from the original mold. It is a second gen casting once they poured silicon onto the forming masters. That is the point where they are trying to fudge the lines.

I understand that, my point was that it is still originating from an original source. Lucasfilm is not going to let them cast off the original buck so of course they have to make an intermediate master, that is the only way they can do it.
  7. joey the brown is offline joey the brown
    Aug 16, 2012, 1:33 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #32

Then why make it? It seems ridiculous to pay for something that is not what they claim it is. How do you know Lucasfilm will not allow them to form on the molds? It seems that people have had dreams of making the ultimate costume helmets and it is clear as day it did not go the way they promoted the Legend Line. The Stormtrooper was a flat out failure because no one did their home work to ensure it could be made. Wasting time and getting peoples hopes up. Now not using formed materials as the originals did. The Vader helmet has issues since the protection for shipping was not up to par.

It seems all wrong and people are happy to be spoon fed. They need to get some new people in there.

Just my .02 worth
    Aug 16, 2012, 1:37 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #33

GINO said: View Post
    Here's a quick shot of an original helmet so you can see how they were weathered.
    Whenever I looked at original helmets in the past, I never really paid much attention to their weathering. But once you start looking you sort of notice it.

Thanks for the clarification, Gino.

If the only difference between the two helmets offered is nothing more than over-spray it will be interesting to see how they are priced. If there's a significant difference I see many simply purchasing the clean edition and weathering the helmet themselves.
    Aug 16, 2012, 1:42 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #34

How do you know Lucasfilm will not allow them to form on the molds?
    If you really think Lucasfilm would let them form 1000 + helmets off an original mould then you live in a dream world.

Not gonna happen.
    From
    Michigan
    Aug 16, 2012, 2:32 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #35

LW and my Altmanns seems nicer at this point. Will wait and see.
    Last edited by Amish Trooper; Aug 16, 2012 at 6:56 PM.
  11. joey the brown is offline joey the brown
    Aug 16, 2012, 6:15 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #36

Zenwalker said: View Post
    If you really think Lucasfilm would let them form 1000 + helmets off an original mould then you live in a dream world.

Not gonna happen.
    They wont form 1000 parts. LOL. Isn't the uber geek edition around 500? I think you are trying to be condescending and coming across as more of a jerk than anything else really.
    From
    Ohio
    Aug 16, 2012, 6:26 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #37

No, what he says makes perfect sense, but alas, my Sockpuppet radar is going CRAZY right now. The molds are more valuable that 1,000 pieces of anything. These are one of a kind things NOT designed for production. Hey, if you don't want it, don't buy it. You won't get a better scout bucket though.
  13. joey the brown is offline joey the brown
    Aug 16, 2012, 6:51 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #38

Your radar can go nuts really for all I care. I was simply stating the obvious, and sorry to say, there are much better products out there than this attempt. But to each their own.
    From
    Ohio
    Aug 16, 2012, 7:26 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #39

No, what you were stating was your opinion. Because LFL would not allow someone to use their one of a kind molds to make a run of consumer products is your issue here, and it is a lame duck non-starter.
    From
    Las Vegas, NV
    Aug 16, 2012, 7:36 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #40

Sorry, total piece of crap. Using anything other than the original production materials is not what the legend line should be about. I would rethink this and start forming. Seeing the glass strands on the inside of the parts makes it look like a 5 year old's art project.
    Hello, Matt. Goodbye, Matt.
    From
    Michigan
    Aug 16, 2012, 7:47 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #41

Art Andrews said: View Post
    Hello, Matt. Goodbye, Matt.
    Omg was that TE ? Lol explains it.
    From
    Las Vegas, NV
    Aug 16, 2012, 7:47 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #42

I too think the weathering might be a little heavy-handed, but the STYLE of weathering is pretty spot on. While Stephen Lane's helmet is pretty pristine in comparison, the one area of weathering on it, looks very similar to the weathering Gino did on the eFX helmet.

Attachment 108505
  18. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Aug 16, 2012, 8:18 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #43

Couple of points:

- After going to the recent display here in Orange County, I have to say I too was a bit surprised by the used of "spray can" weathering on the original props. Not entirely surprising given my experience with props/models and working in the field, though.

- As for the purists that insist that they be vac-formed - it's one thing to build them fast/dirty/cheap for a production. And yes, we RPF'ers are a dedicated (and picky) audience, demanding authenticity wherever possible. But eFX has be concerned with other things - building things that are going to last, building things with a perceived value to them. How many times have you picked up a real prop and been amazed at what a piece of junk it is? It's one thing to pay a premium for the real thing (because it's "real") - but to pay a premium for a replica that comes off just plain shoddy? Can you imagine the complaints and returns? And can you imagine the issues down the road if the vacform styrene were to start splitting or cracking? Lucasfilm for one, wouldn't stand for it.

At a certain point, you have to accept that your replica is just that - a replica. But by making this "replica" out of materials superior to the original, and (in the case of this particular piece) sourcing it off of original parts/molds/bucks from LFL, I think we are going to wind up with a stunning piece, that will be virtually indistinguishable from the real thing to the untrained eye.

- Nice post Gino......

Gene
    From
    WA
    Aug 16, 2012, 10:12 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #44

GKvfx said: View Post
    Couple of points:

- After going to the recent display here in Orange County, I have to say I too was a bit surprised by the used of "spray can" weathering on the original props. Not entirely surprising given my experience with props/models and working in the field, though.

- As for the purists that insist that they be vac-formed - it's one thing to build them fast/dirty/cheap for a production. And yes, we RPF'ers are a dedicated (and picky) audience, demanding authenticity wherever possible. But eFX has be concerned with other things - building things that are going to last, building things with a perceived value to them. How many times have you picked up a real prop and been amazed at what a piece of junk it is? It's one thing to pay a premium for the real thing (because it's "real") - but to pay a premium for a replica that comes off just plain shoddy? Can you imagine the complaints and returns? And can you imagine the issues down the road if the vacform styrene were to start splitting or cracking? Lucasfilm for one, wouldn't stand for it.

At a certain point, you have to accept that your replica is just that - a replica. But by making this "replica" out of materials superior to the original, and (in the case of this particular piece) sourcing it off of original parts/molds/bucks from LFL, I think we are going to wind up with a stunning piece, that will be virtually indistinguishable from the real thing to the untrained eye.

- Nice post Gino......

Gene
    You said it Gene
    They've got a difficult job deciding how to make their products.

Do the majority of collectors want a helmet/saber/ship that exactly replicates the movie prop? (cheaply made, roughly weathered, detailed for a few seconds on film)
    Or do they want an item that looks like the movie prop (shape, color, detail) but is of more robust construction with more subtle (realistic?) weathering and more detail? More of a replica of what a "real" helmet/weapon/ship would look like.

Is there enough of a market for both?

I guess I'm not a true prop purest. I like that my eFx X-wing has a detailed cockpit and Luke pilot. I know the film SS were not as detailed, but it looks really nice on my shelf
    From
    Michigan
    Aug 16, 2012, 10:23 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #45

It would be nice if they did the highend vac formed etc and the lesser one in the fiberglass
    From
    Las Vegas, NV
    Aug 16, 2012, 10:32 PM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #46

Amish Trooper said: View Post
    It would be nice if they did the highend vac formed etc and the lesser one in the fiberglass
    I wish it was vacuum formed as well, but to do that the way the originals were made, each helmet would have to have a tremendous amount of hand cleanup and assembly, making mass production all but impossible and quality control an absolute nightmare. While I am against using fiberglass, I reluctantly have to admit, from a business perspective, it is a much smarter option for them to take.
  22. RPF Premium Member Stormy320's Avatar
    From
    Pasadena, CA
    Aug 17, 2012, 12:20 AM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #47

I like it.

I would like to see the visor vacuformed so it doesn't show the fiberglass. Either way, nice job.
    From
    Ohio
    Aug 17, 2012, 8:40 AM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #48

You guys also have to remember that these are prototypes, not the final product.
  24. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    From
    TN
    Aug 17, 2012, 8:53 AM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #49

beautiful!
  25. RPF Premium Member mrbungle's Avatar
    From
    clanton,alabama
    Aug 17, 2012, 10:05 AM - Re: eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!! #50

i for one think the helmet looks lovely, thinking about clean one myself!

nice job, EFX!