Yarko's DREDD 2012 thread (New silicone vest armour on page 7)

Yarko

Hi!

While I work on my Loki helmets run and my teacher in that Space Jockey head, my girlfriend and I have also started working on some Dredd costumes from the upcoming movie. Here I'm posting pics of the progress so far!

Front and back of the vest, still without the armor pieces

IMG_2652.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

Zoom detail of the fabrics used for the vest

IMG_2656.jpg

This is the fake leather jacket we are using as a base for the costume

IMG_2657.jpg

Test pics with jacket and vest

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

Test armor pieces, made with eva foam. I made a template with PVC sheets, then shaped the foam around those templates with a heat gun. Those are not the final pieces, I was just toying around with the materials to see if it would look ok... I think it does!

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2677.jpg

I will keep this up to date with our progress! I hope our WIP pics will help more Karl Urban-Dredd costumers out there

Last edited:
Re: Dredd 2012 WIP

I placed the foam between the negative and the positive templates, heated it with a heat gun and then squashed the two templates together. I don't know if I'm explaining myself properly, if not, I will post a drawing or something ;)

i mean the bits with the mesh on it that look like body armour pieces not the plain black pieces the bits that look like there covered in netting thank you for your help

i mean the bits with the mesh on it that look like body armour pieces not the plain black pieces the bits that look like there covered in netting thank you for your help

My girlfriend sew those, using mesh fabric on the top, a black fabric underneath and a foam sheet below, then a black ribbon in the borders.

DAMN that is impressive! Someone is taking the lead on this and it looks great. Girl Friend gets +geek points for the mesh sewing. Looks professional grade in every way.

Excellent work. Been waiting for someone to have a go at this one, those foam armour pieces look spot on. Can't wait to see how it turns out :)

That look really great so far. Were do you get the PVC sheets you used to make the templates?

I get them in a local signs company. You give them the measures and thickness of the sheet you want and they charge you per square metter.

It's completely in spanish, but this is their website with some info about their materials: PVC

Great start , like the chest armour approach . What is the material called that you have used on the vest , do you have a link ? Thanks in advance :)

I was eager to see how the costume looked, so I tried it. The only parts missing are the badge and the belt buckle!

CIMG1768.jpg

CIMG1769.jpg

CIMG1771.jpg

CIMG1772.jpg

CIMG1774.jpg

CIMG1776.jpg

CIMG1779.jpg

CIMG1784.jpg

CIMG1794.jpg

It's my own helmet. I made it small because I am small, and a big helmet would have looked ridiculous on me. Besides, I'm not too keen on the oversized helmet of the new movie, so I made it to my own taste! Anyways, that's just a test visor, the definite visor will be at least one inch longer so it covers my nose

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back