Yarko's DREDD 2012 thread (New silicone vest armour on page 7)

Re: Dredd 2012 finished costume (pics on page 2)

Looks great! do you have any process photos for making the helmet?

Outstanding work! I'm also interested in what type of specific materials you used for the mesh vest & the shoulder pads. You've inspired me!

Someone here should make hard plastic armor pieces using his templates. They are extremely accurate! I would totally buy a set.

Someone here should make hard plastic armor pieces using his templates. They are extremely accurate! I would totally buy a set.

Vacu-forming pieces?
I was thinking of doing that for this costume.

BTW
the costume looks great! You have motivated me to pick up a new project.
Thanks

Last edited:

Vacu-forming pieces?
I was thinking of doing that for this costume.

Exactly! Make it rigid and tough like motocross armor. I think there's a small market out there. Like the 501st Stormtroopers, how cool would it be to have 20 Judges walking around ComicCon? Beyond cool.

Hi!

After watching the movie, I truly believe the armor pieces are made of moulded leather or even rubber, they seem to be a bit flexible. I don't really know if they would look good or be comfortable in hard plastic, unless you adapt them to the curvature of the body.But I guess there is only one way to know!

For those who have asked about the materials I've used for the vest, I just bought some mesh fabric from a local store and some black lining, foam and black ribbon... nothing too complicated to find in any fabrics store. For the neck, I got a ridged lycra. The gloves extension and other leather-like pieces are made of black skay.

You may be right about the chest armor being a softer material. The shoulder and knee pads definately look like hard plastic. The back "spine" also looks like modified ABS plastic motocross armor. I'm putting this costume together and have the majority of basic parts identified. My BIG issue (and the one that may cancel this project for me) is going to be the vest/eagle shoulder crest and chest armor. Personally, I would gladly pay for an accurate & durable vest w/armor & shoulder attachments as it's way beyond my costuming skill set.

Last edited:

Love the costume, but the helmet seems a bit crooked... Like it doesn't fit properly.

Personally, I would pay 500.00 for an accurate & durable vest w/armor & shoulder attachments as it's way beyond my costuming skill set. Any takers can PM me.

I'm sculpting the shoulders right now and I would be able to cast them in whatever material I want. You might be interested in those when they are ready

Anyways, if you check this really high definition picture, you'll nottice the stitches in both the vest and the shoulder pieces. That's precissely what makes me think it's all moulded leather, not plastic. You cant sew plastic, I think

http://comicattack.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Ubran-Dredd-8.jpg

Last edited:

I'm sculpting the shoulders right now and I would be able to cast them in whatever material I want. You might be interested in those when they are ready

Anyways, if you check this really high definition picture, you'll nottice the stitches in both the vest and the shoulder pieces. That's precissely what makes me think it's all moulded leather, not plastic. You cant sew plastic, I think

Just watched Dredd 3-D for the third time today. I totally agree with the theory that the chest armor is rubber or latex and not plastic. The shoulder eagle could possibly be a thick painted latex on top of a plastic base (football shoulder pad?). I would absolutely be interested in any castings you make. I will continue to follow the progress. PM me when you have something available and need a little extra $ for Christmas ;)

Problem is that Michael O'Connor, the costume designer for Dredd, says in a featurette that the suit is leather with plastic armor pieces

I think plastic armour was a generalisation for various materials used on the armour . If you watch one of the featurette's thurlby hits urban on the chest , messing about between takes and it makes a hard tapping sound .

I think someone said plastic can't be stitched too , it can if you pre drill the holes first and stitch by hand :)

Defo interested in the shoulder pieces!

The eagle shoulder pad so far... almost done!

PA060510.jpg

PA060527.jpg

PA060538.jpg

Sculpt is looking great. On the topic of materials, based in high res images, many of us have come to the conclusion that the chest, back and shoulders are all vac formed probably using something like a kydex plastic. Flexible yet durable. Close ups show the uniform thinness around the edges, see marks and plastic texture.

The eagle shoulder pad so far... almost done!

PA060510.jpg

PA060527.jpg

PA060538.jpg

Great sculpt Yarko! How long did it take you?
I just finished carving ren shape foam for this but I think you're getting more detail with the clay.
What are you planning on casting them out of?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back