Robin Hood 2010 Archers Hood

Sandman0077

Sr Member
Hello all! I'm looking to get into Archery/Bow Hunting when I return from Afghanistan, and beings I do leatherwork I plan to make my own arm guard, shooting glove, and quiver, I thought about making an archers hood as well. The modern ones are all wool, and even the reproductions are made of cotton.

I quite enjoyed the Russell Crowe Robin Hood (unlike the rest of the world apparently :unsure ) and I like his hood the most from what I've seen. It appears to be leather (suede perhaps? Judging from the rubbed/worn parts). I was wondering if anyone knew anything about his costume or had a pattern of this style hood? Anyone know what material was used?

For reference:
Robin%20Hood%20Russell%20Crowe%20official%20still.jpg

robin-hood-1024.jpg

2374_D070_00132R.jpg

Last edited:
Fabric: soho suede - it looks and feels a lot like real suede, but is easier to work with if you don't have leatherworking skills, and is cheaper. I get it for $11/yard

This pattern: Womens Capes Costume Sewing Pattern 5794 Simplicity
It's my go-to cape pattern, and have used it countless times by just mixing and matching the hood and cape pieces. Would simply require a little editing to the top tier of the layered capelet bit in view A. It comes with 3 hoods, a square-ish pointed one similar to Russell Crowe's, a big round one, and a long pointy one.

Edit: If you're not on a deadline, I'd be happy to make this for you in the synthetic suede (with or without lining), in a couple weeks after my last summer convention. I can make it and let you distress it yourself if you wish.
I wanted to pop by the store that supplies the soho suede anyway for other things.

Thanks for the info! I'm in no rush at all, it'll probably be another year before I get around to making it. I was just looking for the material and pattern for later. Are you judging the material by eye or did you have some part in making it?

Just going by eye. You posted some really good pictures where I could see the detail. In the last picture, you can see the interior of the hood has a bit of shine to it, but you can see that it's not lined. Real suede doesn't have that kind of shininess, but soho suede does. Costume designers like soho suede because it's cheaper, but weathers the same as real suede.

Last edited:
Hm.. I may take you up on your offer. I've never worked with such thin material before. I can sew just fine, but I think it would take a few tries to get it right. How much would I be looking at for your skills?

Totally necroing this thread. I'm still looking for this pattern. I found a company that sells a replica of it for $100, but I'd rather make my own. I'm debating buying a cheapo from etsy.com and dismantling it for a basic pattern.

Anyone have a pattern?

They're also sometimes referred to as "london hoods" too

London hood - historic pattern and super cute! *img heavy* ...now with TUTORIAL - CLOTHING

or check out this website for ideas and inspiration to design your own, just modified there designs/patterns to suit the shape you need.

Search for projects on Cut Out + Keep

This ones ok just no pattern but with a hood they're prerry easy to make.

Alternative Red Riding Hood ? How To on Cut Out + Keep

hope that of some help.

James

Edit; found this too, could be modified.... http://www.fleecefun.com/red-riding-hood-cape-pattern.html
http://www.fleecefun.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Fleece-Fun-Red-riding-Hood-Cape-b.pdf

Last edited:
Thank you both for the links, although I will probably be going with the link Draco posted. Seems to be the closest to the movie version. Thank you both!

Thank you both for the links, although I will probably be going with the link Draco posted. Seems to be the closest to the movie version. Thank you both!

HAHA didn't link that one as I thought you would have seen it, Google "archers hood" and it's the first image that pops up.

Keep us posted...

Next payday I'm going to pick up so cheapo fabric from Walmart and do some test cuts. Then once I've gotten the pattern down, I'll order the soho suede (which I need to find a supplier for. I'd like to hold it in hand before I order it to ensure I like the feeling of it).

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back