Justice League

So close, but still so far.

The good: Batman.
The still good, but not as good: Wonder Woman.
The pretty good (but not as good as the other two): Flash, Aquaman

The bad: Cyborg. The villains. The big Spoiler scene that's not really a spoiler, but was horribly done.

My review on RT

Personally I take more stock in the opinion of youtube nerd critics than your average critic, and they all say the villain is forgettable and the plot weak with some big holes (most likely due to the studio running time mandate), but the dynamics between the team are great and they had a good time watching the movie. Idk about y'all, but that's all I need.

Back from the theatre, and it’s exactly what most YouTube critiques have been saying : feels rushed, Steppenwolf is a generic one dimensional CGI bad guys, and the action was mostly generic comic book movie action (as opposed to the warehouse scene or Cap vs Winter Soldier) but the team is GREAT ! It was fun, characters were on point, the story works ok. But really, it was a delight watching the team. They all had screen time, they all shined and it really makes you want to see more. More of these guys working together mostly.
i’m really looking forward to the directors cut, because a little bit more breathing room would help with the rushed feeling I’m sure, and I want to see more of them interacting ! It really was the closest thing to a JLA episode in live action so far. Happy viewer here. And for those worried about BvS, it’s nothing like it.

The thing that bugs me about all of this is that I want DC to be awesome. Not going to draw comparisons to Marvel. I want DC to be awesome in their own way. Because of th enature of how the DC Universe came to be versus Marvel, the same approach wouldn't work. A bunch of heroes in their own isolated universes that never crossed over until the '60s when they saw what Marvel had done, a bunch of overpowered archetypal paragons... Well, that many nigh-invulnerable, super-strong, demigods either drastically overpower any potential criminals or require equally powerful baddies.

When "everyman" heroes like Green Arrow or even Batman get added to the mix, there's a big power disparity. Either the baddie will be so powerful the mere mortals can't touch them and they're relegated to the bench while the Big Boys handle things, or they can handle the villain and something needs to take the powerhouses out of play to keep the story from being over in five minutes.

They needed to have let their cinematic universe evolve organically, introducing and building up the characters and focusing on their Humanity over their powers (that second part they sorta did, albeit a bit heavy-handedly), they needed to have had their television universe exist within the same continuity to avoid confusion... And now they've taken the exact wrong lesson from the criticism they've received. None of the DC movies going forward will take place in the same continuity as these films. The new Batman film will be a standalone, the new Joker, the new Flash... It's just going to confuse audiences more. *sigh*

--Jonah

Exactly what I was thinking!

tumblr_nb6txpFPpk1r3gb3zo8_400.gif

Frankly, I blame WB for not having the balls to stick with the original plan. IMO there was nothing wrong with Man of Steel or BvS. The third act of MOS had excessive CGI fighting but other than that, it was a great reintroduction, and far better than Bryan Singer's 70s outdated homage of Superman Returns.

The BvS extended cut is a great film. Sure it could be cut down a little, but it was a different look at Batman than in previous incarnations.

What happened is we get the sheep audiences who follow what the critics say or follow Rotten Tomatoes and can't think for themselves or enjoy a different take on the source material. I mean, i don't rely on someone elses opinion of a movie to dictate whether i see it or not. I will see a movie because i am interested to see it myself, I don't need to listen to some talentless hack tell me what i should or shouldn't watch.

Due to the whingers complaining that BvS was too dark and too grim, WB lost their panties and thought, we have to make it more funny and emulate the Marvel series (of which I only found a few re watchable, most are just safe and non threatening, and frankly overrated).

Instead of continuing with Snyder's plan for the Justice League, they allowed Whedon to toss out the original music composer, cut out several scenes which are in the trailers, and introduced more humour and cheap thrills to try to please the whingers.

And still the whingers are complaining about everything. IMO, they should let the director do what he feels is neccessary with this vision, not intefere with it and meddle with it.

What you have now is a mishmash of Snyder's visuals with Whedon's safe lighthearted humour of which the internet whingers and whiners are still not satisfied with, when it could have been a more visceral and exciting end result.

Ah well, you can't please everybody. Looks like DC will be going for a more cheesy formula from now on, instead of going for more unique takes.

Frankly, I blame WB for not having the balls to stick with the original plan. IMO there was nothing wrong with Man of Steel or BvS. The third act of MOS had excessive CGI fighting but other than that, it was a great reintroduction, and far better than Bryan Singer's 70s outdated homage of Superman Returns.

The BvS extended cut is a great film. Sure it could be cut down a little, but it was a different look at Batman than in previous incarnations.

What happened is we get the sheep audiences who follow what the critics say or follow Rotten Tomatoes and can't think for themselves or enjoy a different take on the source material. I mean, i don't rely on someone elses opinion of a movie to dictate whether i see it or not. I will see a movie because i am interested to see it myself, I don't need to listen to some talentless hack tell me what i should or shouldn't watch.

Due to the whingers complaining that BvS was too dark and too grim, WB lost their panties and thought, we have to make it more funny and emulate the Marvel series (of which I only found a few re watchable, most are just safe and non threatening, and frankly overrated).

Instead of continuing with Snyder's plan for the Justice League, they allowed Whedon to toss out the original music composer, cut out several scenes which are in the trailers, and introduced more humour and cheap thrills to try to please the whingers.

And still the whingers are complaining about everything. IMO, they should let the director do what he feels is neccessary with this vision, not intefere with it and meddle with it.

I don’t thinks any version of BVS is good. It simply helped to add some more scenes that only barely explained certain characters actions.

Who is the sheep? The one who blindly believes in the franchise even when they continually make subpar movies, or the one who follows people who understand how films should work?

The last sat time I listened to someone against the critics I watched BVS and was highly disappointed.

I thought the movie was great! My 2 criticisms are: It was WAY too short.
And the way that Superman's return was handled was all wrong, IMO. Totally ignored the ending of Batman V Superman where the dirt rose from the coffin lid, hinting that the Man Of Steel was NOT dead. Only to have him COMPLETELY dead in JL! A missed opportunity (IMO) to set up the crashed scout ship as the basis for the Fortress Of Solitude, or at least have them robots from the scout ship rescue Superman from the grave and heal him in a sole condensing suit/hub.
Other than that, it was awesome!!

Personal opinion after watching it last night. Man of Steel and BvS where both dark and moody, whereas Wonder Woman brought some light to the DCEU. Justice League, I feel only added more to the light of the DCEU. Very fun enjoyable movie. I particularly enjoyed Danny Elfman's use of his original Batman theme and even more so how he used snippets of a couple of John Williams's Superman themes. Visually Gotham reminded me a lot of how it looks in the Arkham game series with factories neon signs shining through the fog and clouds. And there's one visual near the beginning of the film with Batman on a ledge in a window frame which was really cool looking.

If you don't want to see this movie guess what? That's cool. If you think Marvel is better than DC guess what? That's cool too. I personally enjoyed it and I'm sure others will as well.

-Ash

So close. So far.

The good just can't overcome the "meh" in Justice League. It's like Avengers without the fun and spectacle - generic villain with barely a motive wants to take over the world. Even Joss Whedon couldn't fix it.

The good is still the best Batman on the big screen. Ben Affleck owns Bruce Wayne/Batman - it's a shame he just doesn't have better material to work with. Likewise, Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman is spectacular, if not a bit downplayed from her last two appearances.

We get the Flash and Aquaman who both hold their own well enough. The Flash background stuff felt more than just a little contrived - but, he added some much needed humor and humanity to the mix.

Then there's Cyborg - with all the amazing characters DC could give us, they give us Cyborg. Distracting, dodgy CG was just the start of the issues I had with Cyborg... without getting too spoilery, he's simply overpowered and just hard to "get." He could've been a great addition to our team - instead he was just a big, "what were they thinking?"

The villain is simply a throwaway that they could've used to better expand this new movie universe. Darkseid gets barely a whisper? Terribly underdeveloped, terribly written and that Snyder-esque design just didn't work for me.

Justice League had too many unanswered questions, had too much bad CG. But, it had more heart and more to like than any other of the new DC movie universe (and I've talking about the big Spoiler that happens - that was just as badly written as anything else - seemed forced and out of place).

Please, please, please give us a movie with that these characters deserve. Saying that Justice League is "not that bad," isn't good enough. How does Marvel do it time and time again while DC just continually just misses?

Last edited:
Please, please, please give us a movie with that these characters deserve. Saying that Justice League is "not that bad," isn't good enough. How does Marvel do it time and time again while DC just continually just misses?

IMO, it's because of Nolan's Batman. They are stuck in a dark and gritty mode that is just awful. Then they tried to make Superman dark and gritty and it was terrible. And no matter how many times people tell them to stop with the dark and gritty crap, they keep doing it. Marvel movies are just fun. DC movies are horrible. Now that Snyder is gone, it might get better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Eff the critics, I had a damn good time watching this movie.

A big complaint with this movie is the villain and sure he's pretty generic, but no more generic than [insert Marval villain here]. And the way they defeat him was pretty dumb really.

But you know what? I go to these big team-up movies for the team, not the enemy they face, and in that aspect the film delivers. The characters were all pretty much given their due, even if I did want a little bit more of each.

Thankfully, the color palette was given a ton more vibrancy this time around (probably due to Whedon tbh). The only downside of that was Affleck, who in his scenes as Bruce Wayne looked way too made-up. I'm not sure why it was only him and not everybody else that looked that way.

All in all a pretty solid film. Does it compare to Marvel movies? No, but why should it? This is a different universe with very different characters, it doesn't need to be a Marvel clone. It's got its own tone (which has been lightened significantly) that I and very many others (not here obviously) appreciate. Let Marvel be Marvel and let DC be DC. If you don't like what DC is offering, stick to the animated stuff or Marvel movies.

A big complaint with this movie is the villain and sure he's pretty generic, but no more generic than [insert Marval villain here].

No way. I'm so sick of hearing this crap argument. Marvel movies have some amazing villains that have depth and character development.

Loki
Hela
Red Skull
Ultron
The Winter Soldier
Thanos
Ronan
Obadiah Stain
Ego
Magneto

Just to rattle off a few.

Hell even Francis from Deadpool is a million times more interesting than Steppenwolf.

No way. I'm so sick of hearing this crap argument. Marvel movies have some amazing villains that have depth and character development.

Loki
Hela
Red Skull
Ultron
The Winter Soldier
Thanos
Ronan
Obadiah Stain
Ego
Magneto

Hell even Francis from Deadpool is a million times more interesting than Steppenwolf.

Magneto, Loki and Winter soldier have all had multiple appearances to develop their characters and we've yet to see Thanos in action. As for the others, name one of them who doesn't have an arbitrary "motivation" for their actions. Hela just wanted to conquer the realms (yawn), the only thing good about Red Skull was Hugo Weaving (and the movie he was in was a borefest), I don't even know what Ultron wanted, Ronan was just a Thanos lackey trying to get into his good graces, Obadiah was just your typical corporate monster, and Ego was a lonely entity who got mad when he didn't get his way. I'm not saying Steppenwolf was any better than those guys, but let's not pretend they had any lasting impact.

Loki
Hela
Red Skull
Ultron
The Winter Soldier
Thanos
Ronan
Obadiah Stain
Ego
Magneto

Depth and Character development for Thanos? He's had one scene, which was OK.

Out of your entire list, only Loki, Magneto and Winter Soldier have had any meaningful development/exploration. And they're awesome.

The others are absolutely fine as villains but I don't see how any of them stand out, really. None of them are particularly special?

Ronan is the embodiment of basic villain for a team to rally against, just like Steppenwolf.

Francis from Deadpool is actually massively under developed and has huge inconsistencies. I really enjoyed Ed Skrein in the character and it worked fantastically for the film though.

Yes, we all have preferences. But Zod in MoS with only one film is easily a match for Loki/Magneto/Winter Soldier for excellent villain with meaningful backstory and motivations, and a great portrayal.

All that said, I agree that Steppenwolf is not particularly developed. But I can rattle off his arc the same way I can rattle off most MCU villains arcs - he's absolutely par for the course in the genre.

The difference with Marvel's generic villains - for me, at least - is that the sum of the whole was greater than this weakness. The plot, characters, character development, story and overall arc is usually a much more fun and exciting ride than anything I've gotten from a DC movie - outside of maybe Wonder Woman.

Entertaining enough. I wonder if we'll get an extended cut like BvS.

Supes suit is finally starting to look the right color. Did mostly fine. I thought it was a bit ridiculous that he was as fast as Flash.

WW was also fine. Basically the same as in WW movie.

Batman, strangely enough, seemed like a liability at times. What I'm sure was supposed to look like teamwork, ends up looking like "Save the totally normal guy in a Batsuit". He also seemed very dependent on vehicles. I am actually fine with him shrugging off injuries, bruises etc to save the whole world. Nolan's Batman went through worse for a single city.

Flash was just a little too weird, personality wise. Hopefully they smooth that out a little bit. He didn't look as fast as the CW Flash while running, even considering we're looking at relative speed. I hope he gets a powerup in Flashpoint. He should be way faster than Supes.

Cyborg was a bit stiff. They should make him like 10% of TT Cyborg, Boo Yaa and all. Let him crack a smile, etc.

Aquaman was okay. Lasso scene makes me think Mamoa could handle some funnier material. Maybe give him something similar to the comedic tone in Ragnanok.

Steppenwolf was completely forgettable. Very CGI looking. Too much glistening.

I don't think they should reboot. But the DCU needs to do some major readjusting to get on track. They got all the ingredients, they just need to find their footing.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back