"How Come It's Not Standard Issue?" - My Cap: TFA Shield

Wow, your shield is looking fantastic. I'm looking to do my own here soon and I really appreciate you sharing all your information.

Hey Kev, That shield looks great (both of them, in fact). Can I ask how much you were charged for the water jet cutting? I read through the posts, but I didn't see any mention of what that part actually cost you.

Thanks!

The shop I had them cut at has a minimum order of $150, so they cut these pieces plus a couple other parts for that price.

Are you asking how much I paid for it? The blank can be had for around $250, and all the add-ons go up from there. It's not for sale, if that's what you mean.

Hi, I'm relatively new to the RPF, and to prop building in general. I really want to do a Capt. shield at some point this year (currently working on a Star Lord jacket at the mo so wont be for a little while). I've followed a few build threads and I have gotten some great information from reading what people like yourself have done to make their shield, so thanks so much for the detailed pictures and explainations. It has really helped.

One question I have is a regarding painting the shield; I've noticed that just about everyone masks off the place where the centre star sits before painting the centre ring blue, despite the fact that they then cover the area they masked off with a machined star, such as the ones that Valor sells. Why is that? I mean, I don't really know much about painting and fabricating so I was wondering why not just paint the whole centre ring blue then attach the star? I'm assuming there's a good reason for it but I can't figure it out, is it something to do with glueing the star on after painting?

The star should be glued to the bare metal for better adhesion. If glued to a painted surface the star can breakaway taking the paint with it.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back