1:1 Evil Dead II Ash bust (with skintone painting tutorial) - FINISHED 17/2/13

Re: 1:1 Evil Dead II Ash bust WIP (with skintone painting tutorial)

A couple of silly questions if you don't mind;

1. You refer to 'Tan Light Ochre'. I had no luck finding this but have found Tau Light Ochre. Am I safe to assume you meant Tau? It looks to be about the same colour.

2. Also, do you let the layers dry thoroughly between coats or do you apply next coat while still wet to blend better?

Cheers

Yeah, sorry, Tau Light Ochre is indeed the colour I meant.

I let the layers dry thoroughly before applying the next. This is important when you are about to apply a wash, but less important if you're about to apply a mottle, as it will, as you say, allow the colour to blend.

This is not really a hard and fast way of doing things (though it works). I don't really follow a formula when painting, I just go back and forth with colours until it looks right. I've probably not painted any two busts exactly the same way, but just recorded this particular "formula" as I went along as I was asked about the method I use on the last paintjob I did.

So I finally got the eyebrows done. Glued on (Elmer's/PVA glue) small clumnps at a time, then trimmed, then plucked, then layered in around the edges with individual hairs. I would have liked to do the one-eyebrow-up expression, but was limited by the eyesocket ridge shape that was already there.

Got the blood work done too. Citadel "Gore Red" mixed with clear gloss varnish for a permanent wet look.

Ash26-Eyebrowsblood.jpg

And with temporary (colour changed from blue to brown in Photoshop) eyes (think I'll definitely go with the 11.3mm iris instead of the 13mm, but will finalise that soon):

Ash26-ProtoEyes.jpg

Will do the hair once the final eyes are installed.

The eye socket really has nothing to do with the eyebrows - it always stays in the same place regardless of how you move your eyebrows. You could have placed one of them slightly up without it looking out of place. The face cast certainly lent itself to that expression.

But I guess that's too late now.

Looking wild with all that b-movie type blood on there.

True, the eye sockets themselves don't move, but the musculature around them does. I tried raising just one eyebrow in front of the mirror and it changes facial shapes around the eye (which I did not have on this bust) so I went in a different direction. That said, the large iris eyes in the last pic I posted of him do give him a very bland expression.

I got in the new eyes for my Terminator bust with smaller 11.3mm irises and wanted to try that out before placing on order for eyes for Ash. As you can see from the pic below, I think the smaller 11.3mm is definitely the way to go. MUCH more expression now.

Remember, these eyes will be dark brown (not Hazel as shown here) - and there will be eyelashes:

Ash26-ProtoEyes2.jpg

Eyes are better. Just wondering: do you want that downward look? You can go really crazy and have him look slightly to one side and slightly up, meaning that some of the iris will be covered by the upper eye lid.

Also, you should trim and shape the eyebrows to match more how they look on the actor - angle things some more.

Awsome tutorial mate. I this the same set of colours you used on your t2 stage 4 bust?

Could you do me a favour please? Could you list the paints with their numbers as im have trouble tracking them all down. Im in the Uk too. Can I ask who you use to supply them?

Any other colours I may find useful whilst im ordering?

Big thanks

Eyes are better. Just wondering: do you want that downward look? You can go really crazy and have him look slightly to one side and slightly up, meaning that some of the iris will be covered by the upper eye lid.

Also, you should trim and shape the eyebrows to match more how they look on the actor - angle things some more.

Not sure on the final look yet. I've experimented with some other eye positions - the other look I may go for is slightly to one side and down:

Ash26-ProtoEyes3.jpg

I'm reluctant to have him look to the side and up because coving the top of the iris will loose the surprised/scared look.

I will have a look at the eyebrows and see if I can make them more angular.

Awsome tutorial mate. I this the same set of colours you used on your t2 stage 4 bust?

Could you do me a favour please? Could you list the paints with their numbers as im have trouble tracking them all down. Im in the Uk too. Can I ask who you use to supply them?

Any other colours I may find useful whilst im ordering?

Yes, this is basically the same colours as on Arnie. Though I think I used a bit more ochre on him as his skin tends to be a bit more brown.

What paint numbers are you after? Most of the paints that I've used are Citadel paints which don't come with numbers on then, just names. They're available at any Games Workshop. Though the Elf Flesh and Dwarf Flesh are now out of production (BOO!) so those will have to be ordered online (I got a small stock from eBay as soon as I heard they were being discontinued).

Not sure on the final look yet. I've experimented with some other eye positions - the other look I may go for is slightly to one side and down:

Ash26-ProtoEyes3.jpg

I'm reluctant to have him look to the side and up because coving the top of the iris will loose the surprised/scared look.

I will have a look at the eyebrows and see if I can make them more angular.

Yes, this is basically the same colours as on Arnie. Though I think I used a bit more ochre on him as his skin tends to be a bit more brown.

What paint numbers are you after? Most of the paints that I've used are Citadel paints which don't come with numbers on then, just names. They're available at any Games Workshop. Though the Elf Flesh and Dwarf Flesh are now out of production (BOO!) so those will have to be ordered online (I got a small stock from eBay as soon as I heard they were being discontinued).

Thankyou howl! I will be tracking and ordering them today (in fact ive got a GW close to me.

Can I ask, what primer do I need for resin? Also what quantity of paint is required of each colour for something like this (im going to attempt my T2 which ive had for a while). They come as 12ml pots so is that more than enough once thinned?

I will also need some new brushes. Any recoomendations?

If you do a video, I would be more than happy with any type of cam lol

I suppose you can really use any type of primer, but I always use the Citadel bone white spray Primer (also from Games Workshop). Unlike most primers I've come across (such as those sold by Halfords for cars), it dries to a great texture (VERY slightly powdery, rather than glossy smooth) that paint works brilliantly with and it doesn't fill in pore details like other primers might.

One pot of each colour is usually more than enough for one head. If you're doing a big bust with shoulders (like Arnie), you may want to get 2 pots of your base colour, just to be sure.

No recommendations on brushes really - the one I use for mottling on the paint is ancient and really REALLY scabby and splayed (but it gives a great effect when mottling). Any new, decent paintbrushes I need I get from Hobby Craft.

Thanks mate! can I just check, was the base cat Tallarn flesh or Kislev flesh??

Thanks again

Sorry, yeah, I do mention two different things! It's Kislev Flesh. Don't know why I got confused there. Tallarn Flesh is now out of production anyway.

was surprised to find a store within a mile from my house that sells citadel paints. The said the dwarf flesh and elf flesh were old colors and had 3 bottles of each for $1.50 each. bought the lot. Had the rest of the colors too. Thanks for the tutorial. Thinking about re-repainting my 1/1 watto using this technique.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back