Show me your Iron Man suit

2 suits in 5 weeks, you're a monster!!!! I agree with Tom, awesome build, great workmanship and detail. I'm currently in the start up phase of my Mk4, hope I can get it half as good yours. Well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers pal, are you doing a Fibreglass or Foam build?...Never worked with foam, but if your doing fiberglass and want to ask anything feel free. Next project is a Mk42, but want to make all of the panels articulate fully, Lots of hinges, pot rivets and a neoprene base will probably be the best option I think. I've managed dancing in the Mk6 due to the hip articulation, however, really want to be able to run in the 42.

Cheers pal, are you doing a Fibreglass or Foam build?...Never worked with foam, but if your doing fiberglass and want to ask anything feel free. Next project is a Mk42, but want to make all of the panels articulate fully, Lots of hinges, pot rivets and a neoprene base will probably be the best option I think. I've managed dancing in the Mk6 due to the hip articulation, however, really want to be able to run in the 42.

Thanks Andy, I'll be taking you up on the offer as this is going to be my first Fibreglass build, so the advice will be appreciated. Your Mk42 does sound like a ton of work but I agree, the more mobile the suit the better... I'll be keeping an eye out for your new build.

Thanks Andy, I'll be taking you up on the offer as this is going to be my first Fibreglass build, so the advice will be appreciated. Your Mk42 does sound like a ton of work but I agree, the more mobile the suit the better... I'll be keeping an eye out for your new build.

Feel free to PM me if you want any tips, I spent ages trying different methods until I found one that really worked. Fibreglass is great to work with, If you get something slightly wrong, you can reshape or cut and remount with a dremel or correct any flaws with a bit of car body filler (Bondo).

All of my suit was sculpted from sheets of plastic then cast. If you decide to do the pep files, even if you get the scaling perfect, you will still want to tweek it as the polyester resin expands (and can distort the card) when it is setting.

What Mark are you planning to do?

Feel free to PM me if you want any tips, I spent ages trying different methods until I found one that really worked. Fibreglass is great to work with, If you get something slightly wrong, you can reshape or cut and remount with a dremel or correct any flaws with a bit of car body filler (Bondo).

All of my suit was sculpted from sheets of plastic then cast. If you decide to do the pep files, even if you get the scaling perfect, you will still want to tweek it as the polyester resin expands (and can distort the card) when it is setting.

What Mark are you planning to do?

I'm taking on the Mk4 to start with. I've built the helmet using Sharkheads file, did a horrific job at fibreglassing the inside but a " not so bad for a first timer " job on the bodyfiller. uploadfromtaptalk1400852577528.jpg
The amount of work going into pepping the rest of the suit had me leaning towards foam, but I've decided to use cardboard as a base. I've got the chest, back, abs, cod piece and shoulders done so far and realise that I'm saving time on the base build, but it's going to take a whole lot of body filler to get it looking good. As a matter of interest, what plastics sheeting did you use?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I'm taking on the Mk4 to start with. I've built the helmet using Sharkheads file, did a horrific job at fibreglassing the inside but a " not so bad for a first timer " job on the bodyfiller. View attachment 329011
The amount of work going into pepping the rest of the suit had me leaning towards foam, but I've decided to use cardboard as a base. I've got the chest, back, abs, cod piece and shoulders done so far and realise that I'm saving time on the base build, but it's going to take a whole lot of body filler to get it looking good. As a matter of interest, what plastics sheeting did you use?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Your helmet looks great, really nice finish, if the rest comes out that well ul have an awesome suit. Did you see the video in my earlier post? If you want some pointers with the legs and hip articulation when you get there il let you know how I did it.

I know what you mean about the fibreglass, it takes a while to get used to how quickly it setsI used a star dared plastic from a DIY store, one with a reasonable amount of flex (2-3mm works but ul need to key it up with 120 or 240 grit that way the fibre and filler will take to it really nice).

You seem to be a lot better than me with the pep files, I tried one a few years back and it looked like a child made it lol!

Are you in the USA or Uk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your helmet looks great, really nice finish, if the rest comes out that well ul have an awesome suit. Did you see the video in my earlier post? If you want some pointers with the legs and hip articulation when you get there il let you know how I did it.

I know what you mean about the fibreglass, it takes a while to get used to how quickly it setsI used a star dared plastic from a DIY store, one with a reasonable amount of flex (2-3mm works but ul need to key it up with 120 or 240 grit that way the fibre and filler will take to it really nice).

You seem to be a lot better than me with the pep files, I tried one a few years back and it looked like a child made it lol!

Are you in the USA or Uk?

Thanks. i just watched it now, mobility in your suit is awesome. Big thumbs up.I saw a guy from France presenting his build in an auditorium, he had to have two guys beside him when him walked down the stairs ( sideways ), and even when rotating his waist, his room to move was limited. I'll definitely be bugging you later for help.

I'm from Richards Bay, South Africa. Having said that, I will probably have to look for alternatives with regards to the plastic sheets, will start looking around next week. Our biggest problem down here is sourcing similar materials that are used by builders in the US or Europe... I have at least found a supplier for SmoothOn products, so casting later won't be an issue.

By the way, that was my third attempt at pepping before simply giving in and deciding I'll body fill the helmet till its right. The top of the head came out flat, leaving it looking more like a gorilla than iron man. Thanks again for the compliment.

Thanks. i just watched it now, mobility in your suit is awesome. Big thumbs up.I saw a guy from France presenting his build in an auditorium, he had to have two guys beside him when him walked down the stairs ( sideways ), and even when rotating his waist, his room to move was limited. I'll definitely be bugging you later for help.

I'm from Richards Bay, South Africa. Having said that, I will probably have to look for alternatives with regards to the plastic sheets, will start looking around next week. Our biggest problem down here is sourcing similar materials that are used by builders in the US or Europe... I have at least found a supplier for SmoothOn products, so casting later won't be an issue.

By the way, that was my third attempt at pepping before simply giving in and deciding I'll body fill the helmet till its right. The top of the head came out flat, leaving it looking more like a gorilla than iron man. Thanks again for the compliment.

I'm in the uk, to be fair, most of the products can be bought in eBay dirt cheap, it's trial and error as some of the stuff is rubbish quality!

My tip is, if you get a section of the pep that doesn't match the other side, apply a coat of resin (no fibre) inside and out, cut the section out and make a new piece, just makes it easier to fill at a later date!

AndyStarx
How are those suits standing up in those pictures? I don't see a makeshift mannequin - have you found a better way?

Last edited by a moderator:
@AndyStarx
How are those suits standing up in those pictures? I don't see a makeshift mannequin - have you found a better way?

Hi pal, your right? No mannequin, this type of set-up will only work on fibreglass builds that are fully articulated.

A single custom wall bracket keeps it straight (hooks under the back flaps). The next one will be free standing )like the mark 7 is at the start of IM3 with a few internal locking pins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tom, really appreciate it. Its been a few years in the making, this is actually the 3rd version of the suit, still need to add the inner calf bulge/panel (originally decided to make the calf universal to save time) and articulate the shoulder bells...also, not happy with the biceps, think they lack a bit of shape so will eventually re-cast them to...

Just started work on converting the Mk6 Chest piece into a Mk4 as I really want 2 suits side by side...I recently built 2 suits side-by-side in 5 weeks (the worst idea ever lol).
View attachment 328982View attachment 328975View attachment 328976View attachment 328978View attachment 328984View attachment 328981View attachment 328983

This really is a great build. Looks so sharp , detailed and smooth. Now I have almost finished mine I feel I've learnt enough to begin it.

All step of my freehand MK-V suit ( 2 months) no pep files. Made it by myself.
Mk V suit49.jpgMk V suit06.jpgMk V suit13.jpgMk V suit33.jpgMk V suit45.jpgMk V suit29.jpgMk V suit30.jpgMk V suit48.jpgMk-V 02.jpg

Attachments

• sorry.jpg
    sorry.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 354
  • Mk V suit24.jpg
    Mk V suit24.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 346
  • Mk V suit32.jpg
    Mk V suit32.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 369
  • Mk V suit35.jpg
    Mk V suit35.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 381
  • Mk V suit40.jpg
    Mk V suit40.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 343
  • Mk V suit43.jpg
    Mk V suit43.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 364
This is my Iron Man 3 IP suit, fiberglass and my IM3 WM foam suit.

I will post some other pics if i can find my flashdrive :p
1233352_838403296184775_3007844872299663155_n.jpg
Some other IP pics:
10341612_544356065674002_7100131801967798056_n.jpg10342491_544356342340641_2163626090913558566_n.jpg
And my very old and damaged War Machine, i was sleeping when someone took that:
10299951_841580495856351_5211029694942694995_n.jpg

Hello All, this was the first suit I built for my son last Halloween. Alot of trail and error, but I learned alot and it was a great experiance. Yes I cheated on the helmet. Time and budget restraints kept me from building that part of the costume. All in all I was happy with the results and my son had a Kick ***** costume.

Attachments

• IronKid.jpg
    IronKid.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 317

Wow man :thumbsup Now I need to make another one myself :lol (I sold my previous build because of an emergency)

Now do a suit up picture :thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back