Blade Runner blaster prop questions

slynger

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After using the search, I found several threads relating to this prop but was unable to see where my questions would fit in. So, if this needs to be moved or merged, I understand.

Now that that's out of the way -

I'm looking to get a Blade Runner blaster prop. I don't want to spend a ton of money on it, but I do want it to be accurate. It doesn't have to match everything down to the last scratch, but the more accuracy the better.

After searching last night I bumped into the Off World Inc. prop. While not as accurate as I wanted, I did notice some parts that upgrade the accuracy. Is this a decent prop?

What suggestions do the experts have?

I am NO expert but I think your choices are basically:

Off World "upgraded metal upper receiver" pistol= $350-$500

Sidkit all metal "latest version" = $400-$800

I am NO expert but I think your choices are basically:

Off World "upgraded metal upper receiver" pistol= $350-$500

Sidkit all metal "latest version" = $400-$800

Can you elaborate on the Sidkit, I never came across info on that one?

The sidkit isn't really available any longer. Sid passed away. Someone he knew sells the occasional resin model kit on ebay. Even Offworld does not sell their model all the time.

Here is a good resource to learn what goes on in the blade runner blaster replica world.
Propsummit.com a Blade Runner Prop Community Forum BladeRunnerProps.comView topic - replica blaster history and timeline. Last updated 9/17/11

Presently, well, I'm sure Rich will chime in, but Rich is the only guy who makes his replica all the time and takes orders. I don't know what you consider a ton of money, but you will be paying hundreds of dollars for any currently produced replica I'm afraid. Otherwise, just keep an eagle eye on ebay and use a lot of patience and you may get lucky and find a replica for a decent price.

While I can't justify $900 to $1100 for one even though they look spectacular, I can justify $500-$600.

If I were to get the Off-World Inc prop, can that be bumped up to better accuracy with the additional parts and some elbow-grease?

Well, the offworld is built on a .38 special frame, so it's a bit smaller than the models built on .44 special frames, which the film gun was built on. It has a smaller grip frame too, and the angle of the grip frame and the trigger guard is not accurate. But yes, it can be modified and made to look better. Lots have done that.

If you don't care about that (and lots of collectors don't) then the offworld is a good choice.

I have a couple of Rich's blasters and I love them all. They're all very well made and extremely accurate. I don't own an Off-World, but there's a few details that I don't care for, such as the upper Steyr receiver and the grips, which is why I never bought one.

PropSummit is a great forum if you wanna research more on BR blasters. :D

It all depends on the line you draw for yourself regarding exactly what it is you're after or what you're satisfied with.

Certainly, Propsummit is the only place to go for every answer regarding the BR blaster so I would suggest you take your time and work through the threads over there in order for to make the right decision. Irrespective of how much you're willing to spend its STILL your hard earned cash and you're entitled to be as picky as you like…

As Noeland mentioned the Off-world is small and while there are upgrades, it still feels a little 'toy-like' IMO.

Good luck

Regards

MARK

Thanks for all the input. That Propsummit place is a bit intimidating at first, but the info they have is amazing.

I didn't know about the Off World being based on a .38, can't say I'm a fan of that idea. Who knows, I might have to go after one of Rich's builds, the quality seems top-notch.

I was in your same position a little over a year ago. Wanted the BR blaster but didn't want to spend that much on it.

After a month of reading info and comparing blasters, I decided to save up and take the hit. Ended up getting a tomenosuke pro blaster for $1200. Never regretted it since. I've always had the feeling that if i got the offworld, I would end up buying the tomenosuke or one of Rich's blasters anyway since the BR blaster is one of my favorite movie props

Best of luck in your search!

I was in your same position a little over a year ago. Wanted the BR blaster but didn't want to spend that much on it.

After a month of reading info and comparing blasters, I decided to save up and take the hit. Ended up getting a tomenosuke pro blaster for $1200. Never regretted it since. I've always had the feeling that if i got the offworld, I would end up buying the tomenosuke or one of Rich's blasters anyway since the BR blaster is one of my favorite movie props

Best of luck in your search!

been talking to Rich a little bit, and I'm leaning in that direction. The craftsmanship in those things is amazing, so I can understand the cost. Knowing that he has the knowledge and the past history, I'm comfortable with that.

Now it's just a matter of being patient.

Go with Rich. Nothing compares when you have one of his blasters in your hand. It is the definitive Blade Runner Blaster IMO. Plus his new removable clip is ubber cool.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back