Building The ANH 5'Millennium Falcon

Nick, a thousand apologies mate for re-naming you, I'm just crap at remembering names, I just can't think why this Neil popped into my head?:facepalm. Thread duely amended!.

I came to the final size of the main cockpit tube as being 5 1/2" as really, it fitted in with all my other dims. Doing a rough placing of kit parts on the un-cut tube & on paper, all seemed good to the eye for me.

NOTE: Please do not take as absolute gospel my dimensions & findings. I'm only going with what I find to be correct & am happy with.

Right, here's the start of the cockpit then. Starting with marking out all the relevant dims of the tube on paper with a 60 degree cut the dims come out as:

172mm long side
95mm short side
132mm middle point
160mm eliptical cut

Had to bring in my tech-drawing days to get the eliptical shape for making the templates to cut the tube. After marking out all the points a rough saw cut was done & finished with sanding on a flat surface, came out perfect:)
Next step is marking out the plating & the holes that are visible under the Koolshade.
Back to work then.
Stu

Last edited:
Hi Stu,

Actually, I could't even imagine building the 5' flacon in my hobby life.
Please keep to share the progress pics in this thread regularly.

Cheers~~~

thanks Eric.

Nick, a thousand apologies mate for re-naming you, I'm just crap at remembering names, I just can't think why this Neil popped into my head?:facepalm.

I came to the final size of the main cockpit tube as being 5 1/2" as really, it fitted in with all my other dims. Doing a rough placing of kit parts on the un-cut tube & on paper, all seemed good to the eye for me.

NOTE: Please do not take as absolute gospel my dimensions & findings. I'm only going with what I find to be correct & am happy with.

Right, here's the start of the cockpit then. Starting with marking out all the relevant dims of the tube on paper with a 60 degree cut the dims come out as:

172mm long side
95mm short side
132mm middle point
160mm eliptical cut

Had to bring in my tech-drawing days to get the eliptical shape for making the templates to cut the tube. After marking out all the points a rough saw cut was done & finished with sanding on a flat surface, came out perfect:)
Next step is marking out the plating & the holes that are visible under the Koolshade.
Back to work then.
Stu

Nick, a thousand apologies mate for re-naming you, I'm just crap at remembering names, I just can't think why this Neil popped into my head?:facepalm. Thread duely amended!.

172mm long side
95mm short side
132mm middle point
160mm eliptical cut

Back to work then.
Stu

Fantastic start. Best of luck!

This, is really happening.......i mean like, im not having one of those dreams when you wake up, your really let down? :lol. Go get it Stu!

lee

Looking at all of those donor kits makes me wonder, has anyone gathered together all the necessary parts, made resin copies and set about making some kind of kit? I mean, you would still have to make your own base structure, but it would be a whole lot easier to be able to get all your greebles in one place.

I understand that for some people the hunt for the parts is almost half the point, but I know that I would be a lot more likely to undertake something like this if I had the kit option.

Or did I just answer my own question? ;)

At one stage the idea was to cast up sections as we went along. So a Mandible kit for example with all the kit parts to go with it. Stu already did a run of the 5 exhaust ring thinghy's some time ago. Doing a ltd run of some parts weeds out the boys from the Men. This is a big undertaking building the 5ft er and the cost is .... Well bloody huge..(think Galactica). Very few are crazy enough to tackle such a monster but I sure am Glad Stu is opening up shop and sharing his build.

Last edited:
Faustus, Whiskey, Kitbasher, a few people have done it or are in the process. Can't recall offhand on the ESB bit.

Yes, I'm aware of those folks building Falcon's too, but I'm not aware of a thread showing a blow by blow build from start to finish. That's what I aim to do here chaps. Every little detail will be documented, every problem encountered & delt with. Also every donor kit part find will be here too, no secrets here!.

My build will be as she appeared in ANH, with all the missing kit parts placed as to my best ability, no extra landing gear boxes & with the original 'underneath pit' details. May have removeable landing gear too!.

Will post some pics soon of the cockpit build-up, it's proving quite a challenge to get things just right & in the correct orientation. Even marking out the exact placement of the koolshade holes is a nightmare. Hope to get those drilled this weekend!.

Back soon
Stu

Stu, I've been trying to reconcile your 5.5" cockpit tube with the overall hull 50" diameter we got from the Wankels and M23 stuff and failing. Closest I can get with a bit of fudging is 5.75".

Then again we could never get a really good match with the dish either, dang photo foreshortening or lengthening is just too strong. Anyway, what overall hull diameter are you working to?

I need to get some more hardware together but I've taken steps on that. :love

Where is the REAL 5ft model now? Maybe someone could organise to view it when it is either being set up or being moved to it's next location and get some actual measurements from it.

It's on tour as usual, I guess. It's usually displayed in a wall case or a purpose-made standalone case, mounted on the lower mount.

It's rolling to the left and pitched upwards, so it isn't easy to get hard measurements of the model from the case. I took pics with a marked-up ruler against the case, but couldn't get far enough back to get the whole case in frame.

It's been on show in that standalone case in Sydney twice, btw.

It's in Kansas right now. I was actually planning a trip to take photos, but that's not happening right now. New job and a big move happening at the end of this month instead. :unsure
Craig

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back