5 Mortal Kombat 9 Masks (WIP)

Z0M8I3

Hello everyone, I'm working on some costumes for a somewhat local con in march 2013 and decided that I was going to do MK costumes. I've got the same build on another forum but I'm hoping to generate a little more discussion here because talking about it just keeps me motivated.

If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

This is how they started:

Scorpions Shoulder pads:

Scorpions gauntlet(made this for reference of possible foam ones)

Masks painted as of a couple days ago:

One of Scorpions Swords:

The blade for the sword:

Before

After

One last pic of the sword before I attempt to mold the handle...I'm worried about this part!(This was done today 8-4-2012)

Scorpions shoulder pads finished:

The last 2 pics were taken of today's progress. Well there it is, Hope everyone likes what I've got soo far! :)

Got an update from today. I spent the morning applying liquid latex to the sword handle and got a good mold of it made. I just have to wait for some more resin to get here before I can cast it now because my other stuff ran out of shelf life... :(

Here's a few pics:

Latex applied and cured on the handle

And a successful release!

That all looks EPIC dude!! Loving the Scorpion shoulders and swords, the masks look great too!!! Keep up the great work!!!

Update: Well, Now that I've got the latex mold pulled I find it very hard that it is going to work like I want so I took the liberty of sculpting out another handle this morning. This time, I split the handle pieces with fishing line right down the middle, glue them to some parchment paper with hotglue and then applied the last of my resin for now.

The reason for splitting and re-doing the handle is so that when I get some more supplies ordered I can work with what I know...Silicone Molds and Resin Casting. I like them a LOT better and can't wait to be able to order the needed supplies.

Here are a few pics of the process as of now.

Finished Handle

Split pieces

Being glued down

I tried to apply hotglue to the foam but because it's so fine it wouldn't stick. I then traced the pieces out on the paper and applied the glue to that and then stuck them down, problem solved :)

Here's a quick pic my daughter took while I went to get the glue gun...She made a face!

Here are the pieces with resin on them

very nice sir. Where did you find the pep files? I'm new to the pep world and only have done a couple things. Right now I'm working on my second New 52 red hood helmet, and I'm going to attempt to do the gods from the Immortals movie battle helmets for halloween. Look forward to seeing how your project turns out.

very nice sir. Where did you find the pep files? I'm new to the pep world and only have done a couple things. Right now I'm working on my second New 52 red hood helmet, and I'm going to attempt to do the gods from the Immortals movie battle helmets for halloween. Look forward to seeing how your project turns out.

Thank you :) You can get the mask files (and I think the sword)from the pepakura gallery. Some of the other pep files are ones I've created.

That is very nice foam sculpting. May I ask how you are cutting it? It look too good to be an electric carving knife.

Is that green florist foam or upholstery foam?

Loving your work.

Keith

That is very nice foam sculpting. May I ask how you are cutting it? It look too good to be an electric carving knife.

Is that green florist foam or upholstery foam?

Loving your work.

Keith

Thank you very much :) It's the green florists foam and it's so fine/sensitive that all I do is rub my finger across it to shape it. It can be scary working with it though because if you grasp it even a little too hard it will leave a finger dent in the surface, too thin and you break it.

I've got another small update. My wife told me she admired the masks and work I was doing on them and she would like to go as frost, a female apprentice of sub zero (this was said to me about last week). I scoured the internet for Frost's mask or even a detailed 3d model of it and can't find it anywhere. So then, using my very limited modelling skills I tried to make it in blender to no avail. Then I said screw it and today I made the mouthpiece in the florists foam so that I can make a negative mold and just cast the detail on the front with latex.

Here's a pic of it after about 5 minutes of work. I'm still trying to get it cleaned up a bit but even if I don't succeed I can always clean up the molded piece. :)

I had a request to make a pep mask, They wanted Smokes first mask from MK9. Here's what I've got after a few hours.

you can get it

Last edited:
OUTSTANDING! MK in-jokes aside, love the look of your Scorpion kostume. Looks like it was ripped straight from the game itself.

Where did you find those great PEP files? I've been looking everywhere for the MK9 Scorpion mask!

Could you help me out?

BTW your build is coming out amazing!

Where did you find those great PEP files? I've been looking everywhere for the MK9 Scorpion mask!

Could you help me out?

BTW your build is coming out amazing!

Thank you :)

The scorpion and sword/ smoke alternate/ sub zero/ reptile and noob saibot masks can all be found on on the pepakura gallery. All the others are made by me.

Thank's again for smoke, the Alternate smoke was aggravating me, the mouth piece is such a pain... This one is going smooth so far!

Thank's again for smoke, the Alternate smoke was aggravating me, the mouth piece is such a pain... This one is going smooth so far!

My pleasure:) I was wanting to assemble it today but it's soo darn humid and I'm out of resin that I didn't want it to sit around and warp for a week..lol Can't wait to see it!

I've got somewhat of an update I guess...I made a low poly frost mask today... Took quite a long time since I'm not very good at modelling, I was just aiming for a base to make the mask my wife wants...What do you think?

Render:

Pep:

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back