I'm a Bro and I Sew... Who else is with me?

I learned from my mother as a teenager, sewing camo clothing the way I wanted it to be made. I taught my wife to sew a few years ago. Now she's a full blown quilter (not a seamstress) that owns a brick and mortar quilt shop in Marietta, and services machines as well. I haven't sewn at any length for a while other than table cloths, but I am learning again so that I can be familiar with them enough to learn how to service them as well. I plan to sew my Doctor Doom tunic and, cape and hood when I get to that point. Anyone in the ATL needs sewing machine service let me know and I'll direct you to my wife's site.

Managed to get Eddie' jacket finished the night before I saw the Rocky Horror Show.
12656419_10156446117620693_518489559_o.jpg

Attachments

• 12669499_10156454383485693_912784943351899211_n.jpg
    12669499_10156454383485693_912784943351899211_n.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 130
Been sewing since I was a kid. Something my Mom in her infinite patience taught me when I was going through my mid 80's "I wanna be a ninja" phase. Currently on the lookout for an industrial machine to sew leather. Now that would be cool to be able to sew leather. Hand sewing it can be a challenge. If you want a real challenge, learn to knit!

mm.

I sewed this vest and pants on a Singer educational model, it takes a heavy needle and some playing with thread tension but it can be done.
attachment.php

Attachments

• A 006r.jpg
    A 006r.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 461
I start going to Cons and I always wanted to cosplay but never got around to it. I often asked my mom: "Can you make me this or can you make me that". She would be happy to oblige. But again, we never got to it.
Now that i'm home for the next 8 months, I asked her: Can you teach me how to sew, so I can make stuff for me and my son.

So next week i'll start practicing and hopefully i'll be able to make costumes soon.

I don't own a sewing machine yet so do everything by hand. It stemmed from necessity. At 6'5" there aren't many costumes that fit me. My first crack at it was for a full Chewbacca costume - I had to sew a shirt and pants out of mesh. This past Halloween my kids wanted to go as pirates so I made a Jack Sparrow. I'm most proud of this one as I hand sewed a vest, frock coat and an endless supply of buttons... I can't wait to get a machine so I can do more but with a more consistent stitch and better quality.
e85fe24d4e1c88e4c1cbcc58ebdd56d8.jpg

48a801024239ef9f9edb101aaec5ac21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bro who doesn't sew here... yet. I "sorta" know how to sew by hand, and can repair loose buttons or attach velcro to costumes when necessary, but I want more out of life, dammit! I've decided to purchase my first machine and take a sewing class. I've done some research, but can't decide on a machine yet. This site is pretty helpful:

http://sewingmachinejudge.com/

Any suggestions, fellers? Thanks...

PS Awe-inspiring costumes on this thread! I mean that literally.

I'm a bro who wants to sew. Mainly because the costume pieces I "need" are prohibitively expensive and partly because of the feeling of accomplishment knowing you've made something with your own hands.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm a bro who wants to sew. Mainly because the costume pieces I "need" are prohibitively expensive and partly because of the feeling of accomplishment knowing you've made something with your own hands.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Same here, want to learn to make my own stuff so I can get the accuracy I want with my arkham knight jacket.

I've been sewing my own costumes for about 3 years now. My first was a full on snowtrooper suit. For the first year and a half I was sewing all of my parts by hand until I finally got a sewing machine. Best investment ever. I recommend singer.

Bro who doesn't sew here... yet. I "sorta" know how to sew by hand, and can repair loose buttons or attach velcro to costumes when necessary, but I want more out of life, dammit! I've decided to purchase my first machine and take a sewing class. I've done some research, but can't decide on a machine yet. This site is pretty helpful:

http://sewingmachinejudge.com/

Any suggestions, fellers? Thanks...

PS Awe-inspiring costumes on this thread! I mean that literally.

After my thrice refurbished old singer finally died, I got a new Singer 4432. I love it. Sewed light weight stuff and multiple layers of Sunforger Canvas (think heavy boat canvas.) I also use an old singer 99K.

The singer 99 is a home model. Dependable but with limitations. The Cadillac of vintage Singers is the 201-2. You can still find good refurbished ones for under $300. It's what I learned on as a kid from grandfather who was a Master Tailor for 65 years.

Also, I'm glad this thread is still alive. I need to revive my League of Gentlemen Costumers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I work with an old Kenmore, which was basically a budget Janome sewing machine sold by Sears. Doesn't have all the fancy bells and whistles like my girlfriend's Brother machine, but still sews very smoothly. Though it's been a few years since I've done it, might go get a preemptive check-up/maintenance on my machine after summer convention season.

I found a brother machine on Craigslist for $100. Has worked well although I may graduate to something more robust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back