I'm a Bro and I Sew... Who else is with me?

Already posted a pic but wanted to post again for those just starting out. Don't worry how bad it looks at first and get used to differant fabrics, each handles differantly. Some of my first pieces were simple T-tunics for Renn Faires. Each time I tried something new. My latest piece was the Frock I made for my Hatter. PAIN in the keaster but it got done. Still not happy with it so am gonna do it again. Practice makes perfect just like anything else. A good excercise is to look at regular clothes and visualize how it would look taken apart and laid flat. I tend to build my costumes this way using modded patterns. I generally build an entire costume in my head before making my first cut.
Quick tip on keeping your projects cheap/inexpensive. Know what projects you're gonna do? Hit the fabric stores when patterns drop to a dollar. Patterns normal prices are on the high side. The money you save on the pattern can go towards a better grade fabric. Check the remnant section if you only need small pieces. If you're doing a larger project buy as much of it your budget will allow. 6 months from now that fabric you bought may look slightly differant if done from a differant batch.

I handstitch, mostly leather. Does that count?

I've tried machine sewing, but I'm horrible at maintaining the machine, so my wife commandeered my machine and used it briefly to make clothes for the littlun. Now we use it to hold a shelf down in the closet.

I just finished making this for the Mrs...
Mrs Lovett from Sweeney Todd..
Lovettfrontonhips.jpg

Lovettback.jpg

Suit up! And be legen.... wait for it and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the second half of that word is DARY! Legendary!

I found this a little funny because my latest costume project is Dr. Horrible, another of NPH's characters.

Ever since Doogie Hauser, I've been told i look like NPH, so i thought I'd embrace that for DCon this year and do an NPH costume.

I had wanted to take advantage of this during the "everyone dressed as Tony Stark" years by wearing a suit and adjusting my tie and winking at everyone, but I didn't think anyone would get it. Probably just think I was a ginger Stark.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Gerbil: Nice work on the Lovett... Do we have a Todd to go with?

I handstitch, mostly leather. Does that count?

Yep. Leatherwork is on my list of "need to learns".

I had wanted to take advantage of this during the "everyone dressed as Tony Stark" years by wearing a suit and adjusting my tie and winking at everyone, but I didn't think anyone would get it. Probably just think I was a ginger Stark.

BWAHAHA!! There better be a drink in your hand as well. :lol

You should totally go as Barney! Walk up to everyone and say "Have you seen my friend Ted?" And you must have a different backstory for every girl you meet!

(Stands up sheepishly, holds my head up high and now proudly states)

I'm a bro and I too, sew...

I did this dye sub suit (designed, sent to the printers and sewn up myself). I didnt do the cape (that was also done by a man), but have done other capes.

HUSH-2.jpg

Im also in the process of making the daft punk leathers, but not out of leather (black denim and some other funky material)

264850_10152011946105534_1894903069_n.jpg

this is where I am with the trial version on cheap cotton.

413244_10152009163395534_551691009_o.jpg

Fantastic thread!

I LOVE that Dracula, Darth Mule. Several of the gowns from that movie have long been on my list of must do's.

I wish I could sew; does that count?

I've so far managed to get by with contact cement, nuts, bolts, chunks of styrene and ingenuity, but time is rapidly running out before I'll have to stitch something.

Thanks Fangs! I actually want to remake it. I've got some new wool that's a bit lighter than the 16oz. Confederate Wool Flannel that this suit is made from (still heavy though. Period suits aren't made from that skirt fabric they make suits from now).

Keep it coming everyone. Awesome stuff so far.

I'm just learning. I have a sewing machine and a serger. Plus a bunch of ladyfriends with a list of costumes. So diving in full steam. I'm a fast learner.

11th Doctor series 6 Shetland Tweed Jacket: Made from the same bolt of cloth as the Screen jacket. The plaid was particularly challenging to line up from the body to the sleeve. Love this!
380578_10100676626442236_1939464985_n.jpg

Suits.... so, so so so sexy. Not so much for themselves but the process. tailoring is an art that is *not* any cloth work. There is something completely special about how you work with the fabric... I have no idea what the rest of the movie is about but I can watch the opening credits to Tailor of Panama all day.
It may the sense of history, but I think it is mostly how wool works.

Back to the thread :) Pun not intended but certainly pertinent :)

And as for Dracula... I wish I could bring Mina (red gown) to D*C. Still trying to wrangle that. And plan for a day....

Suits.... so, so so so sexy. Not so much for themselves but the process. tailoring is an art that is *not* any cloth work. There is something completely special about how you work with the fabric... I have no idea what the rest of the movie is about but I can watch the opening credits to Tailor of Panama all day.
It may the sense of history, but I think it is mostly how wool works.

Back to the thread :) Pun not intended but certainly pertinent :)

And as for Dracula... I wish I could bring Mina (red gown) to D*C. Still trying to wrangle that. And plan for a day....

It's been a couple years since I brought out D. But I'm planning on bringing him this year.

Tailoring is the thing I enjoy the most. Love suits.

I've been hand sewing for years but could never afford a proper sewing machine. I was just saving up for one for my current project when my neighbor (older handicapped guy) said he had a few sewing machines behind his house that quite working right for him before he lost more of his vision for sewing.

He said: "Take them if you want them, I've got a new one in the house that you can borrow if you can't get one of them working."

So I graciously go around back and found 2 sewing machines, One is an older model kenmore, has the footpedal chewed off by an animal and is missing. Was a bit rough and out in the weather for years but not locked up.

The other was under a bunch of vines that had grown over it, When I found it I brought it around front to the old man and he took the case off of it. It was a singer, Now that brand I know from when my mom would used to sew many years ago.

He said that the tension was broken on it and he paid some guy who worked on sewing machines $25 to fix it years and years ago and it worked for an hour and broke again so he tossed it outside(carefully).

So I bring my new baby home and read a few bits of info on machines and this one in particular. Get to tinkering and had no luck. Then when I talked to the man this morning he was giving me the run down on how to have it set up properly saying that it worked great before and there should be no problme other than needing to fix the tension mechanism.

After tinkering some more this morning I believe I finally have success! I sewed just a few stitches in various designs that it allows and took them over for him to inspect. He seen them and just said WOW, you actually fixed it...

He was happy to see after all these years that this sewing machine still lived. I offered to give it back to him or atleast just borrow it until I'm done needing it and return it to him but he insisted on me keeping it because it was a good model and not that "Modern day crap" as he said it..lol.

Anyways, I just wanted to share a couple of pics of it because I'm very proud of this machine for a couple of reasons...

1: It's my first!
2: I fixed it
3: It was FREE
4: I had to share this with people whom I think might appreciate it. :)

I'm not sure what year it was made in but it's a Singer Fashion Mate 362 and looks to be a little on the older side..(maybe 60's-70's?)

Sorry for the book...I just had to share:D

Now I'm really kicking myself for not having one of the Mina gowns done!

I keep trying to get one of my lady friends to do one, but have thus far been unsuccessful. Kristinaleigh (another board member who is like my little sister) has been saying for years she was going to do one. I told her that if she does the red gown, I'll do the black embroidered outfit that goes with.

Though everyone wants to do the red gown. I want to see someone do the green walking dress.

Anyways, I just wanted to share a couple of pics of it because I'm very proud of this machine for a couple of reasons...

1: It's my first!
2: I fixed it
3: It was FREE
4: I had to share this with people whom I think might appreciate it. :)

I'm not sure what year it was made in but it's a Singer Fashion Mate 362 and looks to be a little on the older side..(maybe 60's-70's?)

Sorry for the book...I just had to share:D

This is exactly what I recommend for people looking for their first machines. Maybe not so much as getting a next door neighbor that will give you one for free, but to find one of these old belt driven models. Usually they sit around in thrift stores for less than $30 bucks. And if you get it professionally serviced (usually somewhere in the $75 range depending on where you are), you have a under $100 machine that will sew thru those cheap machines you get at Wally World. Hell, I was just working on some thicker materials that my $700.00 Bernina started to balk at, so I pulled my 60s, belt driven Brother up and it went right through it like butter.

Hands down the way to go for a learning machine. You just can't plan on travelling with it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back