Shawshank Bible - how to cut the pages

Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages

One could make a template from MDF/plywood/plexi, clamp the teh hells out of the pages to be cut and use a palm router. Just start shallow and slowly increase depth as needed or until you hit your wood backstop. The rpms should be high enough to cleanly strip away the excess material and leave a clean edge providing that the book is clamped correctly.

Sorry, I've never actually cut one of these yet. Won't until I have a rock hammer (and haven't found a decent one in all these years).

biblecutoutdims.jpg

The paper would catch fire. I did think about having it water-jet cut, but water also poses an interesting challenge with thin paper.

I think it's going to go just as Kurtyboy suggested, one page at a time.

Kurtyboy: have you successfully done one of these then? Any idea what page to end the cutting on? Do you have a vector template for the hammer?

If this goes well I plan to do a very small run of the rock hammers.

-Ss

Thanks Kurty, I appreciate all the work you've put into all things Shawshank :)

Here is my Illustrator outline of the cutout:

7875590672_f4501a9747_b.jpg

Tomorrow I'll laser this out of 1/4" acrylic and see how it lines up.

Then, it's time to get busy cuttin', or get busy dyin'.

-Ss

For those interested, the page that you can see through the cutout is page 763. The verse visible in the top left of the cutout is Psalm 119: "With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth".

That means you have to cut through 691 pages in total. My fingers already hurt :p

-Ss

Flippin' perfect, Scott!

For those interested, the page that you can see through the cutout is page 763. The verse visible in the top left of the cutout is Psalm 119: "With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth".

That means you have to cut through 691 pages in total. My fingers already hurt :p

-Ss

Thanks KB!!

My plan is to take the laser file and draw up a rock hammer to fit inside. From there I will make a mock-up rock hammer bit and commission a lucky RPF member to make the steel/iron bits.

I'll take on a prototype handle as well with the compression rivets once I have the finished steel bit in hand.

This is a prop that NEEDS to be done.

-Ss

What about 3D printing the head from stainless steel?

Thanks KB!!

My plan is to take the laser file and draw up a rock hammer to fit inside. From there I will make a mock-up rock hammer bit and commission a lucky RPF member to make the steel/iron bits.

I'll take on a prototype handle as well with the compression rivets once I have the finished steel bit in hand.

This is a prop that NEEDS to be done.

-Ss

Still don't believe that the page is real... This picture of the original makes it look like the first page is glued onto something.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/shawshank-rock-hammer-33034/#post1308473

I dunno...it has several thin wrinkles toward the top right of the page that are textbook (pun intended) thin bible page wrinkles.

I do however think that pages 71 through 762 were semi glued together. Dropping that bible without doing so could rip it to hell (pun ALSO intended) very easily.

-Ss

ps. I have no soul.

Another thing that those with real bibles can chew on with me...

I am certain that the "Presented to: / From:" page at the beginning of the bible was removed. Otherwise you would definitely see it through the page Andy signs. Looks to have been poorly ripped out when looking at this pic:

7875896304_00505faa44_b.jpg

-Ss

I dunno...it has several thin wrinkles toward the top right of the page that are textbook (pun intended) thin bible page wrinkles.

I do however think that pages 71 through 762 were semi glued together. Dropping that bible without doing so could rip it to hell (pun ALSO intended) very easily.

-Ss

ps. I have no soul.

It's just a book..

This was a bit nerve-wracking, but I have my first 4 pages successfully cut:

7922539346_0f9fcc444f_b.jpg

The trick to this is go SLOW, and let the blade to ALL the work. The moment you apply any pressure these very thin pages will shift and tear.

-Ss

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back