Shawshank Bible - how to cut the pages

ssdesigner

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know I shouldn't need to say this but I've heard this come up before, so...

This thread is NOT to discuss whether it is moral to cut up a bible. I'm planning on making my bible screen accurate to the end scene in the film, so I will be cutting mine. Thanks :)

I've seen a few of these done here with great results so, I'm looking for templates, advice, tip and tricks on how to accurately cut the pages to hold the pick ax in this bible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Ss

Last edited:
Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages

I couldn't think of any other way than to just print out a 1:1 copy of the original prop's page, lay it over the bible on starting page then just carefully cut around the outline with a sharp hobby knife and remove the excess paper. Keep repeating as many times until you are right through to the finishing page (where you have a cutting board or something to stop you cutting past that page!).

stuff the bible into a laser cutter..

The paper would catch fire. I did think about having it water-jet cut, but water also poses an interesting challenge with thin paper.

I think it's going to go just as Kurtyboy suggested, one page at a time.

Kurtyboy: have you successfully done one of these then? Any idea what page to end the cutting on? Do you have a vector template for the hammer?

If this goes well I plan to do a very small run of the rock hammers.

-Ss

If you have the hammer, just put it on the page and start cutting carefully around it. And to make sure it's in the right place when doing the next page, just line it up using the previous page as a guide.

Use clamps to secure book as well as secure pages sonthey don't slide when you cut. But make sure to place padding or towels between book and clamps so you don't get dents or any other damages from the metal clamp.

In the movie, do you see them flip through the pages of the book, or just open the front cover?

If they don't flip through the pages, I would make the majority of the thickness from foam, and maybe only a page or two, from paper.

You could then make thin casts of the outside edges of a book of similar thickness, cut them to length and then glue them to the foam block to look like the edge of a real book.

Saves you from having to cut through 400+ pages, with extreme precision.

-Fred

I have used my laser cutter on books before, with the laser on the lowest power setting it cuts 2-3 sheets at a time with no burn marking. Just make sure you have something behind those pages :)

Do you know the exact bible/ISBN or version number, etc? Or is it a closely guarded secret :) Thanks, it would be fun to make one of these for sure

I guess details are on the screen shot when he reads Andy's note... but I can't make it out. Need BluRay.

They are pretty hard to come by.
It is a National Bible Press bible.
You can find the Red Letter version a bit easier, buy it has slight differences. Red page edges and some red text inside.

I have a coupe red letter versions and one of the real ones.

Do you know the exact bible/ISBN or version number, etc? Or is it a closely guarded secret :) Thanks, it would be fun to make one of these for sure

I guess details are on the screen shot when he reads Andy's note... but I can't make it out. Need BluRay.

You can find the Red Letter version a bit easier, buy it has slight differences. Red page edges and some red text inside.

I have a couple red letter versions and luckily just picked up one of the real ones.

Does anyone have any vector art for the note inside?

I am going to try to trace it now from a screen cap...just curious if I am reinventing the wheel here

I have a coupe red letter versions and one of the real ones.

Hey all. For a few months I have referenced an old thread on this site in my search for a Bible for a friend's Birthday, so I thought I would add a slight bit of info for anyone looking.

When it comes down to specific versions, I saw that even just a few weeks ago, a user on here had "the" Bible for sale. I don't know what year that one was, but I just recently bought a 1944 KJV by National Bible Press. It is almost a perfect copy. Same font color, size, style, etc. Page numbers match up, as well as titles/text at the top of each page.

I have viewed multiple screen grabs online, and from what I can tell the only difference between mine and the exact version is that mine has a gold bookmark ribbon instead of purple, as well as some water damage near the bottom (thus me snagging it for around 20 bucks). I looked for some sort of ISBN marker, but can't find anything. Still though, if anyone is ever on Ebay or similar sites and sees a 1944 version with a gold bookmark ribbon, it is probably worth snagging!

The problem isn't identifying the exact year and make used, that has been known for ages.... The problem is finding them pop up for sale, that can take a while. But many people own the exact bible and they do sell them from time to time in the Junk Yard here.

Hey all. For a few months I have referenced an old thread on this site in my search for a Bible for a friend's Birthday, so I thought I would add a slight bit of info for anyone looking.

When it comes down to specific versions, I saw that even just a few weeks ago, a user on here had "the" Bible for sale. I don't know what year that one was, but I just recently bought a 1944 KJV by National Bible Press. It is almost a perfect copy. Same font color, size, style, etc. Page numbers match up, as well as titles/text at the top of each page.

I have viewed multiple screen grabs online, and from what I can tell the only difference between mine and the exact version is that mine has a gold bookmark ribbon instead of purple, as well as some water damage near the bottom (thus me snagging it for around 20 bucks). I looked for some sort of ISBN marker, but can't find anything. Still though, if anyone is ever on Ebay or similar sites and sees a 1944 version with a gold bookmark ribbon, it is probably worth snagging!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back