Hi! I have boobs and I make...

Hi Everyone!

I'm now working on Lynx, from Chrono Cross. This involves my first silicone appliance, as well as flocking and fur punching. Been challenging and fun so far!

I loved that game, I checked out your progress it's remarkable how I could have probably picked the character out even at that stage. Totes following.

Hmm.. I suck at working from patterns. I open a store-pattern and that crinkly paper flies everywhere, tears, and doesn't make any sense, not to mention it never fits my body. I make my own patterns, and that's why it takes me forever to finish a costume. I'm lucky if I get 2 out per year.

Oh- and wigs, I suck at styling those - can't even seem to pick out a good one without three tries! They're such a gamble to order online.

LadyNerd - Thanks :)

Last edited:
This is actually my first post, also :)

I mostly sew, and am pretty new at it. I'm almost entirely self-taught, and I tend to just make it up as I go if I don't know what I'm doing (which is most of the time). I tend to stay away from the props for now. Last year's Dragon*Con was my first year really getting into it. My main costume was a steampunk inspired Ariel. This year I've got a steampunk inspired Ironette/Lady Iron Man (I'm so sick of lace -- it's got about 6-8 yards of lace fabric, and another 15-20 of lace trim), and a couple of other less involved costumes.

I'd really like to learn how to do corsets and leather. I'd love to make a Xena and a Mord-Sith costume one year (though as I imagine it from the books and not the TV show).

Scapey prodded me into joining the forum, so I'll stick with prodding him into doing my props when I need them.

I always try to start with a commercial pattern, but usually by the time I finish adjusting and altering, it no longer even resembles the original pattern and I wonder why I didn't just start from scratch in the first place! Or I cobble multiple, often not even related, patterns together to get what I want.

I also have a habit of mocking everything multiple times until it is as close to perfect as I can make it before I cut my real fabric. I blame this on my mother, who taught me how to sew. She helped me make my Imperial Officer uniform when I was first learning, and it took us over a year because she kept re-mocking and re-drafting the pattern!

I'm going to come out and say that I have a lot of issues with my body and self-esteem, so I am finding myself drawn more to androgynous or unisex costumes that in a way de-emphasize my body as a sexual object.

I would love to costume in the hot outfits, but my exposure to hardcore anime cosplay circles who had the collective attitude you should only cosplay those characters you deeply identify with *and* can pull off physically, has left a deep impression on me.

Can anyone else here relate to this?

I'm going to come out and say that I have a lot of issues with my body and self-esteem, so I am finding myself drawn more to androgynous or unisex costumes that in a way de-emphasize my body as a sexual object.

I would love to costume in the hot outfits, but my exposure to hardcore anime cosplay circles who had the collective attitude you should only cosplay those characters you deeply identify with *and* can pull off physically, has left a deep impression on me.

I definitely can. Props (haaaaa. get it?) to you for being brave enough to admit it openly, which is something I struggle to do. I find myself drawn to making characters with masks, hoods, or helmets.

I often feel like I'm being judged if I try to wear something more revealing, and it's as much as by internet trolls as by other cosplayers in the same room.

I think you should costume what you want to costume. Don't let anyone bring you down or stop you.

I most certainly have body image problems. I've struggled and am still struggling with keeping weight off, and am constantly beating myself up about certain things. But, sometimes you just have to say the hell with it. The world is full of people who have opinions and will give you general hate, but there are also a megaton of people out there who will respect and admire you.

I was VERY scared to put on Bayonetta, but I loved the costume and did it anyway. It's skin tight and the back is open to right above the butt. I was also self conscious to do Silk Spectre. I even was told, by someone I thought was a friend at the time, that my body type didn't fit that character and I shouldn't do it.

Those types of people should be kicked in the ass repeatedly with a steel toe boot. Who are they to say that you can't wear, or do or accomplish something you want??

It has to do with being comfortable with yourself and yourself in the costume. If YOU are, then who cares what someone else thinks? And if someone says something mean to you and they were considered a friend, then they aren't your friend.

I think what matters is construction, execution and if you wear it proudly.

I am so blown away by how many of us there are on here, I had not seen many of you. Great idea to have a thread dedicated to us gathering together. :)

A link to my costume tutorial page is in my sig... mostly Lord of the Rings, a few Star Wars and misc. others like Lost. I have a 'children's costume' section because of my boys. .. being busy with them is the main reason I haven't made much for myself lately.

I'm confused, who was this thread for? :lol

I'm constantly amazed by the talent on the costume forum. I can build just about anything mechanical, but couldn't sew or sculpt to save my life.
notworthy.gif

I often feel like I'm being judged if I try to wear something more revealing, and it's as much as by internet trolls as by other cosplayers in the same room.

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm afraid of. I feel enough of it in my day to day life just being a woman so it would be a kind of a holiday from that.

I think you should costume what you want to costume. Don't let anyone bring you down or stop you.

I agree, CelticRuins. Ultimately it's about having fun wearing it, because dressing up is fun!! And there's the satisfaction of the work you put into the costumes, developing new skills.

I'm a few hours late, but I saw the thread and had to post. I've been a member of the RPF for a few years but have become more of a lurker than an active member.

I still feel fairly new to costuming, but I've been at it since 2005 or so. Before I started sewing, I made props and accessories for stuff, and then I branched out into actually sewing things. (I still have a LOT to learn though!) I started working with leather last year and this year I started sculpting, mold-making, and casting. I've done costumes from Star Wars, Comics, Battlestar Galactica... I'm sure I'm missing stuff. ^_^

I'm excited to see so many women posting in the thread; I am in awe of all of your work!

I'm going to mention that I love, love, love the woman modeling this catgirl suit on GSTQ's facebook page:

God Save the Queen Fashions | Facebook

She perfectly demonstrates how being a Halle Berry look-alike is NOT a prerequisite for wearing a skintight suit. It's tailored exquisitely, too. That's my own personal two cents.

I think every woman has body issues, to some degree or another. I have never met anyone, male or female, who was perfectly happy with every single part of their body. There are ladies here on these forums and other ladies I have met at various cons who are drop-dead gorgeous, yet still have self-esteem issues.

I said I would never costume anything skimpy or too revealing, especially since I truly started costuming after having two kids back-to-back and was extremely self-conscious. I really wanted to wear Slave Leia because I had loved the costume since I was a child, but I was terrified of being laughed at. Some dear friends of mine and my husband convinced me to get the costume, and I used the costume as a motivator to diet and exercise. The first time I wore it was terrifying. But nobody laughed to my face, and I received several compliments. That helped me gain the confidence to wear whatever costume I want to wear.

Now I choose costumes because I love the look or I love the character, and I try not to worry about what others are going to say. It can be hard to tune out the naysayers and judgmental jerks. But I have the support of my husband and some wonderful friends that help me to be confident and have fun doing what I want to do, wearing what I want to wear.

I, too, struggle with body image in costuming, though in my own peculiar way. I'll admit, I have more low esteem/struggle with my face than my body. Ever being the perfectionist, if I feel I don't really look like the character, even if I act a lot like them, I won't do a costume (not that I judge anyone else for doing that! This is just my own peculiarity).

There's a lot of pressure for women in costuming, to be sexy and revealing (regardless of where it comes from). I tend towards the modest/conservative side of things, so I don't like sexy costumes for the allure of being sexy. (I'd rather people keep their lustful stares away from me! Now, if someone finds me sexy in my Belle from Beauty and the Beast costume, well...not much I can do about that. Oh and it's happened!). We live in a very sex-obsessed, or at the least body-conscious society. Alot of that mentality bleeds over into costuming, just as it does fashion. Wear costumes that YOU feel comfortable with. Don't let anyone pressure you into wearing something you're not comfortable with, whether that's something revealing, skintight, or even on the other side of the coin, if people are telling you you're too big to properly represent a character. I've seen plenty of larger costumers whose costumes are unbelievably amazing and pull them off far better than their skinny counterparts! (Not knocking anyone's sizes or body weights, not at all! Sadly, we just all struggle at different points of the scale.)

I'll admit, I actually am getting a lot more pressure for NOT wearing revealing clothing. It's a weird phenomenon I've been observing lately. I'm an agency-represented model, so I am a tall, thin gal but I didn't realise that supposedly excluded me from wearing modest costumes for some people. I've actually had people get mad at me for not baring my midriff, chest, bum, legs, etc. I don't get it. Has anyone else experienced this?

The Senator - Hey, you groovy chic! I think you've got some pretty awesome stuff. You were a major help when I was trying to plan out my Catwoman costume. :)

Guri - Yay for getting your children involved in costuming too. That automatically makes you one cool parent!

I've been making costumes since 1997 (well that's when i can officially say i did..the Wilma Deering costume i made with my mum for me when i was 7 doesn't count) Even started my own business, though had to shut that down when my health got to the point i couldnt cope with it. Still now i do it as a hobby again.
I make costumes, mostly fabric and leather and accessories. Can do a rather good paint job on props too.
Also do alot of work with makeup and prosthetics (worn, not made)

It took me a long time to work up the courage to wear Slave Leia to Dragon*Con even though I always wanted to (It's my favorite classic SW costume) and I totally froze up right before I was supposed to walk down to the lobby areas. Had a huge panic attack and everything. My best friend had to coax me out of the room...then we ran into Gizka and I felt a MILLION times better being able to hang with her while she was in her bikini too. Thanks again, Angelle!

I haven't met a cosplayer that doesn't get caught up at some point. But you should always only do the things you want to do. Don't let some dbag tell you otherwise. This is a awesome hobby and we don't need any of that.

Are there martinis and fondue in here? There should be some martinis and fondue in here.

My Disney-friendly boobs and I have been costuming since I was...well...4? Halloween was always serious business for me. I started REALLY costuming at 14...dropped it for a while...and picked it up around the time the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie came out and my boyfriend bet me that I couldn't make him look like Jack Sparrow.

He was wrong.

And I reopened the door to cosplay nerdiness for the both of us and it was wonderful.

So since then I've been making costumes for myself while simultaneously making complementing ones for him.

My strong suit is sewing...I think. I'm no technical pro but everything I make, I do so without a pattern and rarely even measure anything...it's sort of like magic. POUF! It appears and it fits!

I've recently been doing a little bit of sculpting and have been dipping my toes in the waters of armor making via various methods...none which have been too successful so far.

I'm detail obsessed and will do almost anything ( within budget...which is usually VERY small ) to get the right look. This means many unorthodox and unusual methods in sourcing materials and how to use them. Often followed by temporary unpleasantness such as stained skin, burned skin, nasty fumes in furniture, having to cut out pieces of carpet, scaring my cat...you know. That kind of stuff.

AND I LOVE THIS THREAD. I love being able to recognize the other ladies and admire and envy their skills as it's a constant reminder that if they can do it I can ( eventually ) too.

Matt, don't moan next year about not finding candidates for your calendar :lol

Excellent thread, it's lovely to get various different insights into costuming that would never have crossed my mind before :thumbsup

No offense, but this thread is very lame considering only two or three of you have posted pics. The intro thread is up and running fine and I am pretty sure it didn't need to be divided by sex. But since you did, I'll be over at the "Hi! I have a penis and make..." thread. All joking aside, I really would like to see more pics of your costuming/sculpting/whatever skills along with the introductions.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back