Hi! I have boobs and I make...

You had me at "boobs"

anyway, I don't have boobs (now that I lost 30 lbs) but mrs.slave1pilot does.
561385_10150954280750479_1915984309_n.jpg

She is brand new to costuming herself, (she's been helping me for years) and recently did her first costume .
Black Widow
409738_10151085541240479_1093966732_n.jpg

Hello! Dont have much boobage over here but I love costuming, i'm a newbie at props but every costume is a new experience and with everything I learn something new n.n
You can see some of my comissioned work here: sandyboutique.deviantart.com

I hope i can archieve the level of some of the gals here who are awesome costumers, keep up the great work girls!

This thread makes me HAPPY!!! I'm so glad everyone is weighing in and getting to meet new people and get to be better friends with the old!!

I'm thinking that we need a ladies Dragon*Con Meet up- I might start an thread in the events section if there are those that are interested!!!
EDIT: Nevermind- we have the RPF meetup and we don't need to divy up the awesome.

There is SO much talent here and across so many different mediums. Recently Art had posted a status on Facebook about how he'd like to get more women on the RPF, and many members/former members stated that they felt like they got no recognition for their work because of being ladies.

I don't think this is the case. While I have nowhere near the skills as Fangs, Tiney or EveningA, I'm LOVING that I'm learning so many techniques in regards to sewing (I LOVE sewing leather- workingon my satele...zomg) but also learning sculpting, casting/mold making, learning more about making wigs....I LOVE this hobby!!!

MORE GIRLS! I NEED MORE WOMEN! Damn I wish we had tagging here!

What is one technique that is your nemesis?

Me- sculpting. Dear god I get so frustrated with making symmetrical shapes.

Girl, do I hear you on the sculpting front. It's something I keep practicing at. I have a few sculpted items this year, but nothing that got me head-deep into it.

I want to get better at fine tailoring. Especially on skin-tight body suits.

Wait....manboobs don't apply? Curses!!! Oh well...if ms darkstar organizes a ladies gathering at dragon con...please look for the tubby long haired geek fanboy in a homemade theRPF T-shirt roaming the Hyatt and Marriott for photo ops! I'm usually armed with 150 proof hunch punch and pie. (All you regulars dragon conners know about pie)

Drawing and sketching are not my thing...I can barely draw a straight line with a ruler! Sculpting is also not my thing. I can never get anything to be symmetrical, and that always bugs me. I'll keep starting over and attempting to perfect it until I want to quit and throw the clay across the room! Though strangely I don't care if something my husband sculpts isn't symmetrical. I blame it on my anal-retentiveness and OCD. :D

Hi Everyone!
I'm April but go by Moonwildflower whenever it has to do with art or costuming. I started out on the 405th, but switched over when the site was overhauled. I hate sewing and prefer hard props and armor. My first big build was Halo 3 armor in the coloring of Tex from Red vs. Blue. I then began to work more with latex monsters/aliens and eventually forced myself to learn how to sculpt and cast latex masks after the Silence appeared on Dr. Who.
I'm now working on Lynx, from Chrono Cross. This involves my first silicone appliance, as well as flocking and fur punching. Been challenging and fun so far!

Abby - I LOVE and wholeheartedly support the idea of having a ladies meetup at Dragoncon. I've followed alot of you guys on Facebook or here on the RPF, but it would be amazing to meet you all in person.

DoubleD - Why thank you! That's very kind of you to say.

Celtic Ruins - Pssh, I liked your Facebook before you ever posted it in this thread. Ain't I a hipster? (PS - Can't wait to see your Evil Queen self at D*Con!)

Chloe - Everyone's got to start somewhere, good luck!

I would love to get better at making costumes period (however that may be - sewing, alterations, prop making, sculpting, etc). But man, after 4 years of taking classes and many failed costumes, I'm beginning to think it's impossible! So what's my nemesis in costuming? EVERYTHING! :cry

Drawing and sketching are not my thing...I can barely draw a straight line with a ruler!

I can help with that! That's one of the few things I CAN do is draw! :lol

I make everything, by everything I mean here is a lump of clay, here a sheet of plastic, here is a roll of cloth and spool of thread, here is a jar of beads... and all the tools used to transform them into either works of art or works that try to capture the essenece of a character or world.

So to that end I have totally emersed myself in historic construction- my 16thC gear is made very differently to 19th which is differet to my modern Uniforms which is different again to modern dresses etc etc. And learnt how to mold and cast in a variety of materials (latex, cold foam, epoxy resin, urethane resin). Modern and hstoric corsetry... Leatherwork with tooling and dyeing... I even know what to look for in metal armour even though my Arthritis means I'll never be hands on.

Being female has never been an issue in making anything, aside from attitudes from those selling me product (which is one of the reasons I do a lot of research before shopping) or towards how I look in my work.

It's one of the reasons I have moved away from many forums and on to blogging/sharing sites like deviantArt.
It's not about fans or attention or gender, just about connection.

MDB! I was wondering when you'd pop in here. I'm still convinced I probably walked right by you when I was in New Zealand.

Ladies (and those without boobs who are no doubt reading this thread), this woman right here is a top-class costumer. I mean, wow....my jaw still drops at her pictures.

i was mislead by the title :/

anyways, all the ladies outing themselves here, expect a lot of pms of people xD

personally i dont think gender is important in costuming, i enjoy both male and female costumes.
but still most of the girls in here do better work than me, so i dont have any rights to post here :D

keep up the good work

Celtic Ruins - Pssh, I liked your Facebook before you ever posted it in this thread. Ain't I a hipster? (PS - Can't wait to see your Evil Queen self at D*Con!)

:lol

Can't wait to meet up with you too! WOOO! When and were IS the RPF meet up?? We're going this year DAMN IT ><!

Thanks for the link, Kearstin! That's going on my Christmas wishlist.

I don't think I'll be able to make DragonCon this year. :( I have a photography gig that weekend that cannot be switched. (It seems like something is ALWAYS that same weekend.) Maybe next year!

Welcome, everyone! :)

Being all social today has inspired me to switch up my avatar/signature. Who knows, maybe I'll even start a thread! *gasp!*

MDB is what I wanna be one day. Her skills are just- yeah.

Just so everyone is clear- this isn't a girls vs boy RPF member thing.

I wanted to know who other female members were! I think all the skills of the entire RPF is what make it the go to board for creation of whatever!

I can't draw either- I'm so hitting you up Lady!

Drawing and sketching are not my thing...I can barely draw a straight line with a ruler! Sculpting is also not my thing. I can never get anything to be symmetrical, and that always bugs me. I'll keep starting over and attempting to perfect it until I want to quit and throw the clay across the room! Though strangely I don't care if something my husband sculpts isn't symmetrical. I blame it on my anal-retentiveness and OCD. :D

EXACTLY how I feel lol!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back