"Aliens" Xeno costume...black or brown?

charkboy

Hey All,
I am in the process of finishing my "Aliens" style xenomorph costume (adding some extra pieces and such). In looking at most of the other Aliens warrior costumes out there most everyone has made them black with white or greyish highlights. However in watching the movie and all of the costuming bits from the extras disc, it is clear that the suits used in the film were black undertones with lots of brown/tan highlights.

So I put it to you the RPF community, why do most folks not do the black and brown suit?

Hey All,
I am in the process of finishing my "Aliens" style xenomorph costume (adding some extra pieces and such). In looking at most of the other Aliens warrior costumes out there most everyone has made them black with white or greyish highlights. However in watching the movie and all of the costuming bits from the extras disc, it is clear that the suits used in the film were black undertones with lots of brown/tan highlights.

So I put it to you the RPF community, why do most folks not do the black and brown suit?

Not having built one myself, nor even speaking to anyone directly who has, it has always been my assumption that it just looks better in daytime.

Ther brown real deal looks quite menacing on screen due to the low light levels. In broad daylight where the costumes would be worn, brown would really just look brown. Black meanwhile is menacing in all settings.

But thats just a guess on my end. I say go conservative with the brown highlights, but def include them. Just my opinion.

Browns will give more depth to the painting and add detail. all black will just have all the details blend together.
The one I did I used sienna and umber and titanium white.
SDCC2.jpg

Under certain lighting it looks blue.
head2.jpg

To look creepy in broad daylight, it would have to have kind of a cockroach color/texture to it I think.

But if you do that don't ask me to look at it because it would creep me out. :lol

k

Personally I would have thought some brown would give more of a 'living' feel to it, but seeing division 6's xeno, I'll second going for that colour scheme.
Looking slightly different under different lighting conditions only adds to the organic look of the thing.

Browns will give more depth to the painting and add detail. all black will just have all the details blend together.
The one I did I used sienna and umber and titanium white.
SDCC2.jpg

Under certain lighting it looks blue.
head2.jpg

Division, the suit looks great! I did end up going with a similar scheme but just not quite as many layers of color. Post pics when it's done.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back