Surprise project: Judge Dredd Helmet

the DOCTOR

Sr Member
Well, it was a surprise to me!

About a fortnight ago I was in Tesco (a large hypermarket type of place) where I saw a BMX helmet, from the side, that immediately reminded me of a Brian Bolland style Judge Dredd helmet:

BMXhelmet.jpg

So, I wondered how troublesome it would be to convert it...

Down my workshop, I wrapped a piece of clear butyrate sheet around the helmet, clamped it in place, and buttered in a layer or two of car body filler/resin mix, which I backed up with fibreglass tissue and polyester resin, and quickly had this:

IMAG0330.jpg

(Trying it on and using my phone as a 'mirror'!) A few more wraps with the butyrate and more filler/resin/tissue, I was here:

IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0336.jpg

Within a few evenings and a Saturday, it was looking like this:

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0343.jpg

The badge mount and top is almost all filler, making it a little heavy, but bearable.

Aafter a lot of spot filling and rubbing down I was able to top coat it on the Sunday:

IMAG0344.jpg

Knocked up a badge, here just in Alclad chrome (which didn't go on properly and needs to be redone before a yellow/gold tint clearcoat):

IMAG0356.jpg

Just need to add a tinted inner visor, waiting on a motorbike helmet insert, and to get the badge right!

Not bad for just about twenty hours in the workshop!

(While I'm here, here's a picture of my 'new' Dredd head with one I made for a fancy dress contest at college nearly twenty years ago:

IMAG0355.jpg
)

Fun project, makes a change from the ones that seem to drag on for months!

:lol

Wow. As a newbie to prop replicas, it looks so deceivingly simple, but I KNOW it takes so much skill and patience! Well done!

Looks great man! How did you work in the visor? Looks like a perfect profile to the bucket!

Great paintjob too. What's your secret?

Makes me want to put in OT to finish my bucket!

Bloody fantastic!!

Great vision from spotting a BMX helmet in Tesco, and actually seeing a Dread helmet in there, superb!!

thats superb. i wish that i could pull something like this off. it takes me weeks of mistakes before i get close to finnishing. and its never as clean as this.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back