Surprise project: Judge Dredd Helmet

This is beautiful, I think I may have to uh "borrow" your idea here, and get a Judge Helmet made myself off of the BMX helmet base!

That is looking so bad-ass. Really got a mean look to it. The end result is so flawless and well done that it boggles the mind that this started out as a BMX helmet.

Great build.
Dont know if helmet is in my local Tescos but checking tomorrow.
Argos seem to sell same thing - Olympics Team GB BMX Ramp Bike Helmet.

Thinking of checking art supply for Gold leaf.

This is such an awesome build. Pure ingenuity at its finest.
I was hoping to do dredd for halloween, might have to take a leaf out of your book!

Did you leave the original helmet padding in?

Wow. Beats my halloween attempts... Are you up to accepting emails asking for a more detailed breakdown of your methods and materials? I'm very new at this, and am considering doing a Judge Death outfit next year. Unfortunately my helmet didn't survive the taxi trip home at the end of the night, but as soon as I work out how to post a pic I'll show you my effort.

Thanks, for the pics. I have a similar helmet showing up in a few days in order to give this a go. I am going to do the badge bezel with a foam base to keep the weight down, but otherwise try to do it pretty much like you have. Great job, thanks.

Thanks, for the pics. I have a similar helmet showing up in a few days in order to give this a go. I am going to do the badge bezel with a foam base to keep the weight down, but otherwise try to do it pretty much like you have. Great job, thanks.

Foam sounds a better way to go- it weighs a bloody ton!

Hi Doctor,

Fantastic build on the helmet - I've got the same base helmet arriving in a couple of days to try my hand for my own Dredd build (with your blessing!)

As a newcomer to fiberglass/filler builds, can I ask which filler you used? I'm researching which one to go for and am out of my depth with all the brand names and where to buy them locally...

Again fantastic job and thanks in advance for any advice!

Ross

All I used was fast glass resin and fibreglass tissue, and Isopon P38 thinned with the resin, all of it from good old Halfords!

Incidentally, i noticed that the cheek parts of the helmet were a bit proud of rest of the helmet, and some of the seams were showing through the paint, so it's been back in the workshop for a makeover.

Thanks Doctor - just started my lid today so a trip to Halfords tomorrow I think!

I've noticed the cheek problem too when extending the sides, they wanted to flair out in line with the helmet shape. I've re-worked the side pieces by pulling them in at the centre back seam, hoping the silhouette isn't ruined and that I can still get my head into it...

Keep up the good work,

Ross

to asses the cheek flare , I simply cut a cardboard shape that helped pull them in , and hot glued it on to keep the shape when fiberglassing .
Oh , and by the way Her Doctor ..superb workmanship as allways !!
See you at SF Weekender .

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back