TASM Fitness Thread. Get your Spidey Physique tips on exercise and nutrition here!

El Fett

Sr Member
With Spidey becoming kind of the new Iron-Man of the board (Everybody either wants one or is working on one) I thought I would ask - Is everyone just naturally fit enough to get into the suit? I know I was not so lucky so I had been working on leaning out for more than six months for the premiere. In that time, I lost a little over 30 pounds but I'm still about 10-15 more pounds away from my true goal and what I believe to be the best Spidey I could be. Because nothing sucks more than having a kick-ass suit you can't fit into and when it comes to Spandex, your body is basically what makes or breaks the suit. Everybody knows a lean/cut guy in a cheap looking Spidey suit will always look better than the fatty in the high-end replica. So, with that being said, I figure I would open up this thread to share your personal story, offer support, tips and anything else that might help us all do true justice to our ASM suits :)

I guess I'll start. Like I said, I started hitting the gym and home workouts hard about 6 months ago. Without getting discouraged by slow results, I kept at it and I was able to start shedding pounds at around the 3rd month into things. As anyone that knows will probably tell you, the diet is probably the most important (and the hardest) part to stick to. I know it has been for me, so I decided to accept a challenge a friend of mine put together. It's a month's long transformation with diet tips, exercises and all that stuff. It starts on Monday, so if anyone is interested in joining, send me a PM and I'll fill you in. Otherwise, if you chose to do things on your own or if you are already doing something, we have this thread to hold us accountable and share our progress for the most important part of the costume, the guy inside it. Let me know what do you think!

Last edited:
Re: A lot of people working on TASM but are you also working on your fitness?

I've alwats been a beleiver of only costuming what you fit in. In my case im not overweight, but i'm out of shape. And the asm suit i ordered is my goal to finally get back in shape, its what helps me push at the gym to lose weight and gain muscle to better fit spidey, i also have a green lantern i want to fit into as well.

So for me i end up doing 3 days at the gym every other day and i go for a run everyday to keep my metabolism up.

And your right, dieting can be the hardest to stick to, the goal is to plan it out and not be lazy, being lazy is what leads to late night hot pockets..... Not good lol

I guess a thread (any thread) is no good without any pics. So here's the visual story of my progress...

Start point, about 6-7 months ago, around 198 pounds (I'm the bad singer on the left)

fatsinger.jpg

3 months in, after a whole bunch of biking, jumping, etc etc (about 183lbs here)

IMAG0697.jpg

About 3-4 weeks back. (170lbs)

IMAG1433.jpg

Finally, last night (167 lbs and starting to get some definition).

IMAG1504-1-1.jpg

I'm very excited for the program and hoping to go down to around 155-160 lbs. Everyone can do this guys, just be commited and "keep the promises you make to yourself (I got that from a dove chocolate hence why I need a stricter diet LOL)".

your down to 167lbs :eek: i use to be at around 163lbs and im trying to gain some weight lol

your down to 167lbs :eek: i use to be at around 163lbs and im trying to gain some weight lol

LOL you're probably taller than I am. I'm only 5'7''

Once I lean down to where I want to be and cut down my body fat % I want to start going back up in muscle mass to get that "shrink wrap effect" people keep talking about :)

Excellent thread idea! I'm actually lucky enough to look pretty much exactly the same as Andrew Garfield. I'm the exact same height and weight, and I even have the same eye color and hair style as him! haha I've had a lot of people tell me I look like spiderman since the movie came out. My face isn't exactly the same, but it is kind of close, some people insist I look just like him though. But the one thing I do need to work on before I get a suit is my arms. I kind of have noodle arms, haha. I'd like to get a lot more muscle definition before I have a suit just so I will look more superhero-ish and just feel a lot better in the suit. But I think this is the perfect motivation to start working out like I've been wanting to do for a long time.

LOL you're probably taller than I am. I'm only 5'7''

Once I lean down to where I want to be and cut down my body fat % I want to start going back up in muscle mass to get that "shrink wrap effect" people keep talking about :)

i'm 6'1" but i've always looked really lanky so i've had to try and bulk up a little for when i finish my build otherwise i'll look like spider man who couldn't afford food lol

El Fett that's so awesome good job!

This is actually my first post ever on this site... but anyways I'm a super skinny 17 year old, 5'11" and about 143lbs. I started working about 3 months ago, when I was about 135lbs, so I've gained about 8lbs of muscle. I'm still very skinny, but at least everything is defined. Anyone know how to bulk up?

I'm really tinny so I'm planning to do some sport and fitness because my arms will be ridiculous in the skin suit I make :)

Ive been working on the beer belly and love handles with ab crunches every other night. Im a pretty stocky 5'8 and 195 lbs so Im confident when i get those problem area taken care of Ill be fine

Powerhouse70: I would advise you not to do crunches every night. Rather do some plank exercises. Planks strengthen the "inner unit" of the abdominal wall, and help to make your stomach flatter and considerably stronger. Crunches build up the "6 pack" muscles, but until your stomach is flats.

3 sets of 45 seconds on 30 seconds rest. Build up to 90 seconds on and 60 seconds rest. I am a personal trainer In new yorl

Powerhouse70: I would advise you not to do crunches every night. Rather do some plank exercises. Planks strengthen the "inner unit" of the abdominal wall, and help to make your stomach flatter and considerably stronger. Crunches build up the "6 pack" muscles, but until your stomach is flats.

3 sets of 45 seconds on 30 seconds rest. Build up to 90 seconds on and 60 seconds rest. I am a personal trainer In new yorl

Thanks for the advice will incorporate those into my routine starting tonight.

El Fett that's so awesome good job!

This is actually my first post ever on this site... but anyways I'm a super skinny 17 year old, 5'11" and about 143lbs. I started working about 3 months ago, when I was about 135lbs, so I've gained about 8lbs of muscle. I'm still very skinny, but at least everything is defined. Anyone know how to bulk up?

Drink a protein shake formulated for weight gain every night before bed. Your body uses less calories at rest. You can add more calories to the shake by mixing in peanut butter, chocolate sauce,eggs etc.

I used to be 5'8 and 130 lbs....all of it was muscle because I framed houses and spent most of my day shooting plywood or 2 by 8s up to the next floor.My doctor suggested this because my metabolism was too high.

I did a juice diet after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on netflix, not to fit into a suit, but to feel better. Im 38 and was put on High blood pressure meds. after the diet, no more pills! its hard to stick to like you said, but any thing worth it is. Good job man you look great

El Fett, how tall are you? And looking at the background, do you live in San Diego?

As for me, I'm 6ft and use to be at 210lbs. Now I am down to 180lbs after 3 months. Overall I'm trying to stay in shape for other cosplays.

My routine, lift weights and 20min cardio 5 days a week on a low calorie high protein diet.

I'm glad this thread has been started, as it's actually something I care about a lot. I've been working on my Spidey physique for many months (as in, like a year and a half), although it wasn't specifically for cosplaying, but because I decided I just wanted to get fit. It just so happens that Spidey is kind of my ideal body type (the comic version, not the Garfield version.)

Anyway, I work out 4-6 days a week. For a long time now, I've been doing P90X off & on. It's fantastic. Just recently I started doing a hybrid of P90X and Insanity. And all I can say is, wow. If you're looking to shed fat fast, check out Beach Body's Insanity. They play infomercials about it all the time on cable, but don't let that fool you - it seriously works. It's not some sort of 'magic' shortcut fad program. It's just ridiculously intense cardio. It's quite difficult, but you get out what you put in.

I continue doing the weight-lifting part of the P90X program though to maintain my muscle mass. Insanity seems more effective for shedding fat, but I've already got about 10% body fat, so I'm looking to continue building muscle mass while I lose the last of that fat.

And I do ab workouts 2-3 times a week. There are several routines I do, but the important thing is to mix it up so your body doesn't get used to the moves. And do a wide variety of moves to work all different part of your abdominals.

I'm 6'0" and about 157 lbs. As of last night, I've got a 33" waist (although size 31 pants fit me perfectly, go figure). I've got pretty broad shoulders as well, as I focus a lot of attention on shoulder workouts.

BTW - I am not affiliated with Beach Body in any way. I just use and love their programs.

Also, like everyone said, diet is extremely important. I eat about 5 small meals a day, including at least 2 protein shakes. Avoid anything fried (obviously), pizza, and any sauces that are white and/or creamy. In other words, just pay attention to nutrition facts. Once you start reading nutrition labels, it's a real eye-opener.

I can go on and on about nutrition, but the important thing is to just remember that it is crucial that you maintain a healthy diet. But to me, once I started working out hardcore, keeping up with a diet became easy because I didn't want to just waste all that hard work I was putting in every day. I was working out to make improvements, not to just stay the same.

Diet is key and accounts for about 70% of your progress, sleep is also crucial to seeing max results in the gym. Trying to get at least 7 hours a night for me is hard with 2 young children but I'm trying lol. I've been doing the Rusty Moore "shrink wrap" method for awhile now and it's really working, I recommend it for anyone looking for that lean body look. Here's a time saving breakfast that's high in protien for those of you with time constraints in the morning

1/2 cup Blueberrys
1 cup skim milk
1 cup egg whites
Single serving of yogurt
Blend till smooth and enjoy! 26 grams of protien in this bad boy, feel free to add a half serving of protien powder if your bulking, or make a crap load of IRISH STEEL CUT OATS and dole them out a 1/2 cup at a time (on theyre own, not in the shake) to carb load.

Not for any costuming reason, but in the last year I've been working on my fitness, here are my thoughts/findings after doing a fair bit of reading:

I'd advise anyone trying to lose weight to checkout myfitnesspal.com (or anything similar) use either the website or the app to track your daily calories. Also use an online calculator to work out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).
The most important thing for losing weight is that your incoming calories are less than your outgoing calories, after that you can start looking into your macros to preserve as much lean muscle mass as possible.
General guidelines for this are 1g of protein per lb of lean bodyweight and 0.5g of fats per lb of lean bodyweight. Use 1g protein = 4 kcals, 1 g of carbs = 4 kcals, and 1g fats = 9kcals and you can calculate your daily macros. (hit your protein and fat goals each day and use the leftover calories for your daily requirements in any way you please - protein/carbs/fats).
I actually lost around 20lbs before reading up on dieting properly and effectively lost weight by starving myself which wasn't a good idea. I hit my target weight of being within a healthy BMI range but am now working on adding more muscle mass so have again increased my daily calorie intake slightly hoping to stay lean while adding muscle.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back