TASM Fitness Thread. Get your Spidey Physique tips on exercise and nutrition here!

Re: A lot of people working on TASM but are you also working on your fitness?

Just wanted to compliment those working hard on their training. This is such a good thread! I tried to do the gym thing, but got bored quickly. I now rock climb twice a week, and go hiking another two times during the week. I'm 160lbs, but need to get toned. The rock climbing does a good job of my chest, but I need to work my arms. They could use a little more meat ;) Looks like I'm back to weights.

Can you recommend a good morning protein shake?

1 cup skim milk
1 cup egg whites
1/2 cup Blueberrys
1 single serving of yogurt
Blend till smooth and enjoy!
I've been putting a 1/2 serving of chocolate protien powder to boost the taste, I'm trying to bulk, that may not be for all. This shake is a good way to get your dairy serving for the day as well as being a great time saver in the morning.

Awesome topic so why not add my story too.
Well I'm 5'11 and weigh about 157; 17 years old. I started going to the gym to tone my muscles and shed a few pounds as well. I've gone to the gym since June 26 (Spidey game release date so you can guess what I did after the gym) My weight hasn't changed but I think it's due to the fact that the weight is my muscles and not fat. My abs are on the way too :D ; only when I hunch in front of a mirror though. I'm doing a routine of going to the gym every week only resting on weekends and even then I walk and do a bit of work around the house to stay in shape. My routine is sacred and I try to never miss a day and if I do miss one then I just go Saturday to make up for my missed day. My physique does look a bit like Andrew's so I want to make it even more similar. Not to mention the fact that I also look a bit like him so that gives me more enthusiasm to get in shape and in the spidey suit. I haven't started any protein shakes or anything of the sort yet though. Nor do I carry out any type of diets. Just a lot of working out for biceps, triceps, back, chest, shoulders, legs, abs, etc. Cardio isn't something I do all the days I go to the gym but I may start doing it a bit more due to the suggesstions I've seen here. I also practice martial arts so I'm working on my flexibility a bit more in order to do some demonstrations when in costume ;) Any tips for my routine or anything? Really like the idea of this thread!
Also for those thinking about being bit by a spider... Tried it, doesn't work and only lands you in the hospital :lol

Thank you,
-Equinox

Funny you should mention the spider thing. Ya, if only it were that easy but even Maguire and Garfield had to starve themselves into the suit. As skinny as Andrew Garfield is already, I heard he was only eating one piece of sushi a day for several weeks while training rigorously. not fun.

I started the program today and I gotta say...its 4:30pm, I'm not starving and I've only consumed about 208 calories so far. My workout tonight burns close to 600 calories. I'm pretty sure I'll be on negative numbers by the time I hit the hay so I'm off to an incredibly good start. Day 1 of 28.

I'm no professional at all so don't take my words as an expert opinion but ...

Be careful with staying on low calories, as mentioned above you can enter into a "Starvation mode", where you're body tries to hang onto every ounce of fat it can for emergency situations. It also makes it easy for your weight to rebound once you start eating properly again as your metabolism will have slowed down as part of the "starvation mode"

You could also go into a catabolic state, quite literally, when the actual muscle tissue in the body endures lengthened stretches of the catabolic state, it eats away at itself in an attempt to find a source of stored energy - this can be great if you just want a lower number on the scales but will not get you looking "lean and muscular".

Be wary of the "skinny fat" look, where your lean muscle is lost at a simliar rate to the fat loss.

Just try to be sensible about your weight loss, don't rush it. It may have taken years to put the weight on - don't expect it to disappear within a couple of weeks.

As a boxer and personal trainer, no I'm not working on my fitness. That's just a daily part of life man :p Stats: 5'11" 158 lbs. running 5k's 3-4x a week, boxing, plyometrics, hiit, swimming and yoga. I also eat pretty healthy, and eat lots. Green shakes help make sure I'm on point with my veggie/protien intake. When I'm tired and don't have a match coming up, the only thing I keep up with is boxing and yoga, or I just take a couple of weeks off and rest :p

Thanks for looking out, but this is just a cleanse period. I agree there's no point in starving just to bounce back. On day 5 I start eating a healthy filled diet with 5-6 meals a day. I'm just "re-booting" right now, if you will :)

I'm no professional at all so don't take my words as an expert opinion but ...

Be careful with staying on low calories, as mentioned above you can enter into a "Starvation mode", where you're body tries to hang onto every ounce of fat it can for emergency situations. It also makes it easy for your weight to rebound once you start eating properly again as your metabolism will have slowed down as part of the "starvation mode"

You could also go into a catabolic state, quite literally, when the actual muscle tissue in the body endures lengthened stretches of the catabolic state, it eats away at itself in an attempt to find a source of stored energy - this can be great if you just want a lower number on the scales but will not get you looking "lean and muscular".

Be wary of the "skinny fat" look, where your lean muscle is lost at a simliar rate to the fat loss.

Just try to be sensible about your weight loss, don't rush it. It may have taken years to put the weight on - don't expect it to disappear within a couple of weeks.

My 2 cents:
Progendev is right. I also use p90x and it really works. I don't go crazy with it either. Just follow the routine schedules and that's it. I don't do the diet part which I am sure would really make a difference. So far just the program has done me well enough to not need the diet portion. You know that feeling you get when you put on a superhero costume and you feel..well... like a superhero? I feel that way all the time! With or without a suit. Being fit helps with all aspects of life. Doesn't matter what program you use just that you do something.

Now, costumers weights will vary with their heights, but as a base note to compare to....Marvel officially lists Spider-Man as 5'10" and 167 pounds.

If I could only grow a couple of inches taller I would be right there weight-wise...

Last edited:

I really need to start losing some weight in general honestly, not just for a spidey suit but for me. I plan to lose 15 pounds of fat by christmas :)

Now, costumers weights will vary with their heights, but as a base note to compare to....Marvel officially lists Spider-Man as 5'10" and 167 pounds.

I'm 5'10", brown hair, hazel eyes, same as Peter Parker lol. Weighing in at 168 right now but I'd like to get up to 170 at 5% body fat. We should all pick a date and then post some pics of the gym progress, good or bad. Might keep us all motivated past those sticking points

I'm almost there, I'm 5'10" and 165 at the moment. Been running and lifting religiously for the last few months and am finally seeing the results I want.

I agree that we should set up a "progress date" to see how people are doing and to keep people motivated.

Im messed up.im lean everywhere but stuck with the handles and gut. SO ive decided to go clubbing again and dance my butt off! cardio baby!

I will post some progress pics as soon as I start working out :p

I appreciate that this thread exists, and there are people that realize that being in shape is an important accessory for most of these costumes.

A friend of mine went with me to Dragon Con 4 years ago. He was a former Marine that was in superb shape while in the service. A shoulder injury and a few years of no exercise/bad diet put him out of shape. He had shoulder surgery weeks before Dcon and was in a big immobilizer sling for the convention.

At his first sci-fi/fantasy convention he was amazed by what he called "superhero fails" - people that obviously put a ton of effort into a costume, but ruined the look by being so out of shape it was distracting. He vowed after he rehabbed his shoulder that he would train, and by next Dragon Con he would dress up.

That gave him motivation to train. I agreed to do it with him. Here it is, two years later and we are still training. I dressed as Green Arrow last year, in a form fitting sleeveless leather vest. Pure vanity made me hit the gym, because I didn't want to be a superhero fail. Now it's just a lifestyle.

started really putting effort on matching costumes physically too, especially these last few months. All that beer makes you get fat fast. :lol I want to do a spidey suit but only after I obtain my goal in fitness.

story of my progress
Height 6'0
December 2010 I started at 206 lbs
waist size 36
chest 43
13837_235585160560_1776625_n.jpg

October 2011 160 lbs
waist 33
chest 40

5304670683_1a5f287827.jpg

July 2012 138 lbs
waist 29
chest 38
7618817076_2a501cbabb.jpg

Pic is from my current costume build :)

now its time for me to bulk Ive cut alot of my cardio out and have replaced it with lifting

I salute you all for actually taking fitness serious not only personally but costuming aswell. I look forward to progress pics from everyone

Wow Josh, you're all the way down to 138?! That's crazy! At 6'0 I do think it is time to start "cultivating mass" and add some lean muscle. You'll get that shrink wrap effect for sure if you keep a good clean diet and start lifting more. Very impressive man.

I'm at the last day of my detox phase, thankfully and I'm pretty glad I survived it. It's rough! Tomorrow I get to start eating 3 low-carb meals a day and up my exercising a bit. I'll share some progress pics as soon as I have something significant to report on. I've been pushing my Spidey studio pics until I can really make justice to this awesome suit!

Well heres a couple of progression shots. Me at 205 lbs

IMG_2231.jpg
[/IMG]

and me currently where I stand at 185 lbs.

IMG_2817.jpg
[/IMG]

blacksuit.jpg
[/IMG]

Hopefully Ill have more progress by time I get my TASM print and complete It.

Last edited:

Funny, Ive actually been lookin into that as far as watching videos on the tube also. I found out It like $20-30 bucks a class where im from. Really havent pumped my self up yet to do It, and I would like to get my fitness right before I even really consider It but how awsome would that be to do this stuff in a spidey suit. Check this one out Its what got me curious.

the real spiderman! - YouTube

I actually have a perfect body type for spidey, my friend has mentioned that I should do him someday.

I would want to add a few pounds of extra definition though, and I'm starting to get into heavy lifts to work on adding bulk. Squats, dead lifts, cleans, et cetera. I already work out but just have an incredibly lean body naturally. I'm 6' .5" tall and 153lbs.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back