TASM Fitness Thread. Get your Spidey Physique tips on exercise and nutrition here!

Re: A lot of people working on TASM but are you also working on your fitness?

Abs are made in the kitchen.get your good carbs in oatmeal, egg whites, tuna grilled chicken,sweet potato i like to put coconut oil on most of my meals...and lots of veggies .... but yeah i have been doing martial arts my whole life i have pretty lean for a long as i can remember. my brother is a body Builder he got me into weight training about 4 years ago when i first got my miles morales suit from Taylor i was in my bulking phase i hit my goal weight 220 and started to lean down abou6 months ago trying to get. Ready for my scarlet spider costume he designed for me so now im down 195 trying to get my fat % down ...but if you are working out keep it up and stay committed my friends

Last edited:

Drink a protein shake formulated for weight gain every night before bed. Your body uses less calories at rest. You can add more calories to the shake by mixing in peanut butter, chocolate sauce,eggs etc.

I used to be 5'8 and 130 lbs....all of it was muscle because I framed houses and spent most of my day shooting plywood or 2 by 8s up to the next floor.My doctor suggested this because my metabolism was too high.

Thanks! Yeah I recently counted calories for a few days, and i realized that i eat between 3200 and 4000 calories a day, and still don't gain. You're right, must be the metabolism haha

A LOT of good tips and info being thrown in here already! I Love it! I wish I would've started this thread a long time ago because I was doing a lot of research on my own and finding out what was working and what wasn't working for me through trial and error.

Here's some things that have been working for me (some of which were already mentioned here):

- Cardio and cross-fit workouts 6 days a week (I started trying out The Asylum workout and so far I'm loving it) But yeah, unfortunately if I don't workout 6 days a week and sometimes 7, I don't see any weight loss but this is mostly because I lack a consistent healthy diet which I'm looking into changing. I'm hoping to cut back my exercising to 3-5 days a week. Diet is everything.

- Calorie counting. Somebody already mentioned this great free app: Myfitnesspal.com download it and USE it! You can add me on there and we'll keep tabs on our joint progress too. My user is "digdeepah"

- Eating breakfast. This is a meal I've skipped the majority of my life...I love eating but for some reason, I'm never really hungry in the morning. Lately, I've been getting in the habit of incorporating a protein shake (GNC's lean shake) in the morning. Quick, tasty and I'm on my way. Good way to kick start the metabolism.

These are supplements I picked up this week and will start incorporating into my day along with my diet. ***Supplements are NOT absolutely necessary and in no way am I saying you need these to reach your goal but for me, it's a way to incorporate some of those key things I'm missing in my diet that will also compliment by workout.

IMAG1497.jpg

You can get all this protein, greens and oils from a healthy diet. But since not having a healthy diet is what got me in trouble in the first place, I'll use these to get back on track!

Last edited:

If you are trying to get defined, run. Period. run 5-6 miles a day. Do 125 push-ups and lift some 20lb barbells 4 sets of 15 for your shoulders (military press) and your arms (curls). I did this for two months and lost 30 lbs while going from a pear shape to an almost V shape.

If you are trying to get defined, run. Period. run 5-6 miles a day. Do 125 push-ups and lift some 20lb barbells 4 sets of 15 for your shoulders (military press) and your arms (curls). I did this for two months and lost 30 lbs while going from a pear shape to an almost V shape.

Pull-ups also help getting that V shape. I use to couldn't do 1. Now I can do 4 sets of 12 easy. I also found a gym partner to be my spotter so I can get that extra rep completed. I eat 6 small meals a day and I don't starve as I include fruits and veggies into my lean meats

I plan on making a Ben Scarlet Spider outfit. I was a bit on the chubby side, but I have been basicaly eating nbormal portions instead of thirds or big portions of food. and have done 100 crunchs at night and 100 crunchs in the morning every day. after about a couple weeks you notice a nice change

Great thread guys I always liked the well toned not too skinny Spidey physique myself. I find that cardio works best for me. Joined the gym to work on arms, chest and back but realized I was getting too stocky, the eliptical has now become my best friend cut back some on the weights and now doing serious cardio sessions. went from 205 to 185 lean, now Im just focusing on toning up and burning fat, the mid section is always the hardest but im getting there. Also learned that metabolism is important, eating small meals snacks more often every 3-4 hours and adding spices to foods pepper, hot sauce, chilli powder and a daily multivitamin and green tea help keep your metabolism moving these are the things im doing to help me get the spidey body I want....without the blue and red spider bitting me on the neck/hand.

Funny you should mention the spider thing. Ya, if only it were that easy but even Maguire and Garfield had to starve themselves into the suit. As skinny as Andrew Garfield is already, I heard he was only eating one piece of sushi a day for several weeks while training rigorously. not fun.

I started the program today and I gotta say...its 4:30pm, I'm not starving and I've only consumed about 208 calories so far. My workout tonight burns close to 600 calories. I'm pretty sure I'll be on negative numbers by the time I hit the hay so I'm off to an incredibly good start. Day 1 of 28.

Here is also an example of what I'm talking about. This suit was not made with a digital pattern, it does not have all the HC detail, the eyes are not the right color, reflective nor accurate. It is in many respects inferior to the replicas that are coming out of this forum and probably cost a small fraction to make...however, it looks GREAT! Why? Cause the guy wearing it looks great in it. Nuff said.

the_amazing_spiderman_costume_by_tenshinosekai-d56c7ov-e1341806720573.jpg

That is the PERFECT Spidey body IMHO, always was a fan of the 1990's Bagley look too. 170lbs of lean muscle is what im shooting for. BTW popcorn with little butter & salt will help you Spideys out there with the hungrys late at night, hardly any calories and it fills you up!

Someone should sticky this thread, just to make people think about it.

This is relevant to enormous amounts of cosplay in general, and recent stuff in particular, where body shape is incredibly important to the way the thing looks - tron costumes, I'm looking at you. I don't want to be come off as unnecessarily judgmental, but I've seen costumes where people put enormous amounts of work into replicating something then put it on a body that made it look nothing like the movie.

It's also interesting that this thread seems to be mainly male-oriented. I think the situation is more complicated for women, given that it's much less expected for women to have a lot of muscle tone (although this backfired horribly when they got Lena Headey to play Sarah Connor; google for newspaper reports describing her, rather unfairly, as "emaciated"). I suspect for girls it's possibly the case that you either have the body shape of the moment or you don't, and there may not be much you can do about it other than avoiding being overweight. That said, a costume supervisor once said something memorable to me, which was "there's a difference between skinny and in-shape," which I suspect applies here.

But, in general, this thread is great in that body shape matters, and I say that as someone who is starting to look fat even when I try to hold it in...

...I really must do something about that. You all put me to shame.

Funny you should mention the spider thing. Ya, if only it were that easy but even Maguire and Garfield had to starve themselves into the suit. As skinny as Andrew Garfield is already, I heard he was only eating one piece of sushi a day for several weeks while training rigorously. not fun.

I started the program today and I gotta say...its 4:30pm, I'm not starving and I've only consumed about 208 calories so far. My workout tonight burns close to 600 calories. I'm pretty sure I'll be on negative numbers by the time I hit the hay so I'm off to an incredibly good start. Day 1 of 28.

Keep up the good work! Myself, I've started working out about a month ago. I'm 5' 10'', started at 160lbs, and I'm already down to ~150lbs. I've been going to the gym twice a week on Mondays and Wednesdays, and then some cardio on Fridays (but I've been less successful with keeping up the cardio... :unsure).

Out of curiosity, how many calories are you going to consume? I've heard/read that if you don't get a minimum number, your body will think it's starving and convert what you do take in into fat.

Not sure how many calories total this detox phase has per day but its only 4 days, then I go into a different diet. It's an airtight program so its designed for fat loss.

That is the PERFECT Spidey body IMHO, always was a fan of the 1990's Bagley look too. 170lbs of lean muscle is what im shooting for. BTW popcorn with little butter & salt will help you Spideys out there with the hungrys late at night, hardly any calories and it fills you up!

You totally saved my life the days before the premiere with that pop-corn tip! I was seriously pass-out hungry those last couple of days hahaha

Man I'm glad this thread has gotten so popular!

A few comments. That Spidey up there, I totally agree that even though his mask looks a little wonky, all in all it looks great cuz he's rocking a spot-on Spidey physique.

And as far as starving yourself goes, it can definitely slow down your progress because your body puts itself into starvation mode and quickly converts whatever calories you do consume directly into fat. Starving yourself is usually only effective as a last minute tactic to squeeze into an outfit when you need to get just a tad more svelte.

Although if you want to go for Andrew Garfield's body type and have lots of self control, yeah, anorexia is definitely a thing and it definitely does work. But... have fun. You'll lose your muscle mass first. Not that Andrew Garfield is anorexic (although that one piece of sushi thing is a little nuts. Surely was taking vitamin supplements as well? There's no way he could be doing those stunts on that diet.)

That said, El Fett, it sounds like you know what you're doing. Keep us updated on your progress dude!

Just wanted to compliment those working hard on their training. This is such a good thread! I tried to do the gym thing, but got bored quickly. I now rock climb twice a week, and go hiking another two times during the week. I'm 160lbs, but need to get toned. The rock climbing does a good job of my chest, but I need to work my arms. They could use a little more meat ;) Looks like I'm back to weights.

Can you recommend a good morning protein shake?

Not sure how many calories total this detox phase has per day but its only 4 days, then I go into a different diet. It's an airtight program so its designed for fat loss.

Which program? Most of the detoxes, I've read about aren't very appealing.

Agreed Fett the guy in the ASM suit above is what im pretty much shooting for, not knocking his suit but the man definitly makes the spidey in that one. It so worth it once you get to where you want to be yes hard work buy once you get there you get a sence of accomplishment, then its just about maintaining. Its also about improving yourself and lifestyle, that can go a long way.

1/4 cup egg whites
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (organic brown rice protein or whey)- visit your local nutrition store or wholefoods!
2 tbs vanilla almond milk or skim
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbs ground flaxseed
After above ingredients are mixed together add*1/2 banana (mashed)- mash first, then add!!
Add a handful of fresh or frozen blueberries

These are freakin DELICIOUS! You get the rib sticking effect of pancakes plus it boosts your protien intake. The potassium in the bananas is good to. Mix whatever kind of protien in depending on your taste bend. The flax seed is good for fatty acids as well :). As far as this thread pertaining mostly to men, it is a Spidey thread....haven't seen to many ladies rockin the webs at cons lol. Perhaps some dames here at the RPF would like to start a thread of their own "Red Sonya in 30 days" has a nice ring to it ;)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back