The Tin Woodman...

Mostly Fantasy

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all.
I've been searching for info on vinyl covered foam for costumes- (I've been recruited to make a Tin Woodman costume for a church production) and of course there's no time or budget. I believe I have the foam- what's been the group experience with metallic vinyl coverings? I haven't found a good source for them yet- any replies positive or negative with the materials will be much appreciated!!
Thanks!

Back in the 90's, there were some incredible faux metal fabrics. Not anymore, of course. I would suggest cutting out each pattern piece in 1/2" foam, and cover each piece with silver lame, which is still everywhere(what a shame!) Many different versions, so try not to get the one that is textured.
Remember, just spraying would not be good enough-it will show the foam texture underneath.

You can coat the foam with PVA glue after making the costume and then dry brush on silver metallic paint. It will end up looking just as good and will look like real metal from a distance.

Just tried a vinyl coating over adhesive on the foam- not bad for a brush on. I'll have to try spraying it on tomorrow....
P1000312.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back