TDKR Catwoman build/costume study ( pic heavy )

I will try to get to midtown to the garment district in the next few days. I wish I found this thread earlier. I am almost finished with my Captain America TFA costume and am now getting ready to start on my wife's Catwoman. There are a thousands of choices of a four way stretch spandex that I've seen. Now to see if they have one that will help you all.

Here are some samples of my progress so far. For the fabric, I've settled on 4way stretch coated spandex and an under-layer of large knit mesh for the texture. See photo. (Not a high quality pic, not even my cat is impressed.)

For the boots, I've settled on these:
Amazon.com: Steve Madden Women's Ilusionn Boot: Shoes

The ties in the back were the biggest inaccuracy, but they are nearly nonexistent when the laces are tight. The heels are not neck-breakers (I've tried on the Aldo Bullins boots, and, while they look awesome, NO WAY will I be able to walk in those. A shout-out to Aelynn for discovering them and being able to hold herself up in their sister-pair. I tip my hat to you. I'm a heel-wuss.) and i can live with the non-exposed platform. They are a very good overall height as well and stay up.

More to follow soon.

All of you who are busy building, keep up the good work.

You know, that Chinese one isn't half bad for those of us on a tight budget - I think my wife is going to go with that one instead of our original plan.

Oh, and if you search that same title text on eBay, there are many with differing prices from ostensibly the same seller or pool of sellers (title and description the same)

Note: the Chinese premade bodysuit is going to take an uncomfortable amount of time to arrive here in the States, so for anyone wanting to go that route, be very cautious. Their eBay description "guarantees" 7-12 business days but their email post-purchase says otherwise. The guy tried to assure me it'd be here in time, but we have a plan B in the event it does not.

Ok. I waited a couple days and it hasn't popped up yet and I can't keep hush hush anymore, so I'm just going to start this since I've heard a couple fellow RPF ladies also express interest in the costume.

I'll admit it, at first, I hated it. As in, loathed with the burning passion of a thousand suns. To me, it did not look like Catwoman. It was too basic. Tight, black, matte leather. It wasn't exciting or original...it simply failed to impress upon first impression...

Then out comes the movie...and the way the character was written and wonderfully executed amped up the everything. The suit seemed to take on a life of it's own when embodied with the Catwoman persona. It was probably the quickest change of heart I've ever had.

anne-hathaway-as-catwoman-in-the-dark-knight-rises.jpg

And so here I am planning for it.

Ladies ( or anyone ), feel free to hi-jack this thread and add your own build progress or any info worth sharing!

( Also, please be gentle, I just bought a house and am trying to keep more within almost impossible budgets than I usually do! x_x )

At the moment I'm simply sourcing items that I can modify. Mainly the boots. I tried to go cheap and found a pair on e-bay in a softer finish synthetic leather...but the platform was wrapped. I literally sat here in my chair for a good half hour just THINKING about these boots. Then I realized 1) shipping to Canada made these cheap e-bay boots not so cheap and 2) her boots actually have a slight tread on the bottom, with a visible platform and having a covered one just wouldn't to.

Then I remembered I had found a pair in my stockroom this past winter that were RIDICULOUS ( as in...thigh high hooker boots ). Lo and behold, I searched them up online, they were still available and were basically perfect.

boots.jpg

Stiletto heel - check. Front platform - check. Slight tread - check. Front seam - check. Thigh high - check. Within budget? -$65 - check. ( They are the style Tauarez from ALDO Canada. Some similar styles on the US site are Bullins ( genuine leather but has some more seams for folding the top down ) and Brang ( genuine leather but just over the knee ) both for under $100 )

This was my initial e-bay option.

I did consider leather ( of COURSE I did...but at the moment, I've got most of what I need for the costume at $100...and the boots alone would have been around $195. And still not perfect. So that was that. )

I have a few ideas for modifying the heel to look like a serrated blade but I'll tackle that once they're here. Ideally they'll LOOK legit...but will be safe for me to go party in without being forced to go barefoot in a club.

Here's a great read full of fantastic pics of her boots and more importantly, the heels which are a clear acrylic cast and then painted.

the-dark-knight-rises-catwoman-poster-1.jpg

Another important factor in choosing the boots that I did is that the heels are quite thin and I knew they'd be thin enough to build up around. ( They don't look that high or thin in the photo, but having tried them on in store...they are killer. :lol )

Next up, gloves.

I cheaped out. Got a pair of synthetic leather opera gloves for $12 off e-bay. Again considered leather...but couldn't stomach the price to slice and dice them ( since they have her bodysuit material on the upper of the hand ) with the slew of bills on the way.

glovesc.jpg

At this point, as well, synthetic leather at least I knew would be similar enough to the finish of the boots to keep some coherency. I've bought cheap Halloween gloves before and I know they'll need some TLC once they get here, but still a bargain if I do say so myself!

For the mask, I'm following a 'leather look craft foam' tutorial that was posted by the ever so informative MattMunson! And I can't wait to get started on this. I'll be seriously attaching plastic buckles to the sides for the band to go through to lessen the tension on the actual foam....not that I plan on wearing it too tight anyways. No one likes mask lines.

For the goggles, I considered a few options. Ski goggles ( figured they'd be too big/chunky, especially on top of the mask ). Motorcycle goggles ( which I loved the look of...but didn't have one large lens ). ... Giant sunglasses. I think I've settled on this pair of motorcycle glasses which are not only appropriate given her mode of transportation for a good part of the film, but they have one, single curved lens. I'm going to buy a transparent red vinyl to adhere over the smoke tinted lenses to have them dark red. ( Maybe an extra layer of black too ). Again, MattMunson helped me out here in directing me to an automotive store for some rubber trim which I'm going to apply around the edges.

gogles.jpg

Again, I'll tackle the LED fixtures once I have them on hand. ( Also, can I just say I HATE how her lens looks like cheap bendy plastic? BOOO! )

I believe her goggles have a bit more of a harsh corner on them, but if my cat ears are slightly more curved, I'll be ok with that. I might be able to put some extra foam along the sides closer to the face to make them look fuller when they're on top of my head...'cause let's face it. That's how they're going to be worn 99% of the time. Well...maybe a lower percentage than that since I'll be way more amused than I should be when shining my LEDs at people.

The belt I haven't started planning yet... The actual belt is a leather strip, which you can see in some hi-res shots and I think I have some leftover from attempting to make my Angelica ( PotC ) belts and baldric...but hers is REALLY thick ( I'd guess almost 10mm? ) so I may just buy a new strip.

I might attempt the pouches via leather look craft foam but I have to do some more research here into what would work best. I'd ideally like something more solid. You can buy carbon fiber adhesive vinyl off e-bay for cheap for decorating. ( I really. REALLY. love the carbon fiber detailing. )

beltxx-1.jpg

And then the biggest and scariest part...the bodysuit.

Some say neoprene ( but I've heard this is a bad idea to wear out of water for extended periods of time ). The costume designer said it was a layer of screen printed material and a slightly shiny fabric ( I'll link this when I find the source again ). It's strange because it looks almost unquestionably textured...but then in the above photo, over the crotch area, it looks smooth under the lighting.

You also have to squint like mad to try to see if anything is raised at the edges...and you usually can't. Is it some optical illusion? Is it some weird puffpaint screenprint? Any insight here would be wonderful!

I considered photoshopping the pattern and having it printed on lycra...but the two issues here is that it would be flat ( texture and finish ) and when stretched, it maybe have splits visible in the print.

I searched for stretch vinyls, pleathers, embossed spandex...everything I could wrap my head around basically. And then considered leather. Again. But again, I can't afford it. And I REALLY like the textured look.

I don't know how I remembered this...but I bought this athletic material for the undersuit when I was planning Quorra ( Tron ... way, WAY on the backburner ) and realized, though not perfect, it's 'free' since I already have it and should have a very similar look. The other plus is that it's stretchy and breathable and because it has nylon in it, it does have a slight sheen. The costume designer also said the material they went with, they did so because it was flexible looking. Something she could sneak around in. In terms of realism, I think my fabric will work alright in that department too! My only concern here is that it's going to have to be a VERY specific fit so as to not overstretch and look transparent in photos. :lol

Here's a photo of the fabric less stretched;

fabric1.jpg

and on a sleeve/glove/unfinished...thing;

fabric2.jpg

( It's not actually overstretched here...it just looks pinkish because of the sheen and my room being...well...very pink. :$ )

The seamlines are also incredibly awkward on the costume...attaching where the ribbon lines the silhouette and having no front center pant seam and no back seam. It's literally going to be a puzzle piece pattern and it's going to take a LOT of trying on and adjusting to get the perfect fit. Or just a really good pair of spanx. Which I'll probably get to sharpen my waistline anyways. :lol

Oh, but I AM going to get real leather for the collar! Ha ha, I know, I know. Big spender. :D

Planning to have this done for Halloween! POSSIBLY Fan Expo in Toronto...but with moving, I somehow think that is a slightly overly ambitious goal.

DEFINITELY looking forward to the overall comfort of this costume ( cozy, cozy stretchy jumpsuit! ...hopefully! ) and the fact that I literally have the exact same hair cut/colour. Yesss.

Not looking forward to cutting back on the sweets to trim up the legs. :lol Oh well! High heels work wonders... >_>'
I love the fabric on this-I think you've found a really good match! I had a heck of a time finding a match for my Captain America-finally happy with what I have, but it's still not quite good enough! Can't wait to see this when it's done:)

Oh my gosh... that ebay catsuit... I thought it was sequins at first!!

It's too shiny for my liking...but that aside, there is no way...ever... that I would wear a catsuit with a crotch to butt zipper... that's just... no. Not for me. But it IS a good price for a base suit. >_>

I'm at a standstill on mine... a lot going on and a lot of fluctuating funds are making it difficult to move forward... hopefully I can get it done ( or ANYTHING, really ) for Halloween still, though.

I usually work well under pressure...so here's hoping.

HOORAY!

Since my biggest problem area with this costume was the mask/headgear and I've worked with craft foam to no avail... I am SO HAPPY to see that the deluxe 3pc accessory set is FINALLY on sale. I've been waiting for this thing since the middle of September and the release date kept getting pushed back.

I'm so happy that it looks so good...at least, in the photos...which can be misleading...BUT it's a hard structured base for me to work with and tweak and adjust and add lights to for a fantastically affordable price.

You can buy it here!

Hooray for actually staying within budget!! ... until I go buy overpriced cans of plastidip...

Awesome work!! :thumbsup I wanto to make a mask for my girlfriend for halloween.... did you have a template for foam that you can share??

Got mine in the mail today. Meow's link is very accurate.

The mask is a floppy piece of rubber/urethane and sits very high off the face. My nose bridge is high so there's no way I'm making that puppy fit me. Maybe it can be molded to fit a face, but the plastic is so flexible I'm not sure if it would hold a shape. The strap is an elastic band that is sewed on, with threads hanging out.

The "goggles up" mode is a headband with a plastic piece glued to the top. Even though the pieces do not move on their own, the bar where it attached to the goggle is "riveted" in with plastic, so it seems like it could move if you unattach the goggle piece from the headband. Same with where the bar attaches to the headband itself. So maybe the bars are reusable.

The goggles themselves are the best part. The shape is decent and it has a unilens. It should be possible to add LEDs to the loupe part of the goggles. The sides are a similar flexible rubber/plastic as the mask. The strap is like a scuba mask strap.

So, you definitely need to do a LOT of work to these for them to look ok. For less than $20 including shipping though, it was a worthy experiment for me.

And I just noticed a pink cast to a lot of the pictures.. I was wearing a magenta shirt that the light picked up on. All the pieces are a decent black color, and the lense is a smoke lense that fades to light on the bottom. The close up is pretty accurate, maybe slightly less "purple" looking.

I feel like such a novice right now. Maybe it'll be different when I get my mask set in...but that looks like a GREAT starting piece. I'm surprised with how clean it actually looks for less than $20. I'm very confident that with a little TLC this sucker is going to look fantastic.

The only thing I'm seeing an issue with in assembling it into one piece is the lights on the sides of the scopes for the goggles...they look like they stick out a bit too much to put the arms directly onto that piece...Gonna need some tweaking there.

I'm surprised though, that the goggles are a very nice shape and look like they're the same as the decoration top piece goggles. I thought they'd be oversized or rounded or something...something that gave reason to them needing to add that 'goggles up' piece.

Why wouldn't they just make them flip up instead of putting an extra piece in there?

Oh well. Extra tweaking, nbd.

On my front, I've decided to move ahead with this costume at an alarming pace. I have everything I need currently in transit and when it gets here, I'll have about a week to get it done.

I get sick when I think about deciding to move forward with it for Halloween...and then I remember all I have to make is a bodysuit and belt. I might have to tweak the gloves but the goggles and boots are just fun pseudo-prop building and modifying which I love doing.

I do need to travel to the US for the plasti dip spray, however...since they discontinued it at Home Hardware in Canada and the only other suppliers sell online and it's too late to get it from there now.

Ah well.

There are some photos on Tumblr of girls who are wearing their sets... it looks NOWHERE near as bad as those funky stock photos with the mask floating inches off the face...

Last edited:
Aelynn what are you going to use the plastidip for? The goggles probably, but what about the fabric? Just wanted to make sure it was clear that the puff paint experiments I've been doing haven't included plastidip, except for that very one picture. Would hate for you to go to all that trouble and not even need it.

Good luck getting it done by halloween! I have pieces of mine.. shoes to mod came in this week, the goggles.. still slowly working on the puff paint fabric approach. No way would I have it ready in two weeks though. Post lots of pics when you get it done!

I'm thinking I'm going to need it to make the goggle/mask combo smooth where I have to hack it apart and put it back together the way I want and I'd like to coat that with it. I'd also like to use it over model magic that I'll sculpt the utility belt compartments with. AAAAaand probably over the heels too before painting just to make them a bit more durable after sculpting those... but more for the 'rubber' parts so they all look uniform.

I did want to experiment with the plastidip on the textured fabric that I have...but keyword there being experiment. Hence not wanting to spend 20 something a can. @_@ But I have yaaaaaaaaaaaards of the fabric to spare so it will be interesting to see what happens.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back