The Thing tape recorder/player I.D.

dropshipbob

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Can anyone I.D. this tape player, circa 1981 or so?

It's from "The Thing".

macorder.jpg

Had a google for you but came up blank.

It's (obviously) a tape recorder with an external mic hooked up to it. The branding seems to have been sanded off or hidden. It does have quite a few distinct features though, particularly the black oblong section cutting into the speaker grill.

Had a google for you but came up blank.

It's (obviously) a tape recorder with an external mic hooked up to it. The branding seems to have been sanded off or hidden. It does have quite a few distinct features though, particularly the black oblong section cutting into the speaker grill.

Yes, I too thought it looked like some sort of metalized tape was stuck over the area next to the built in mic.

Chloe, thank you for that link!

Last edited:
Chloe, I agree, I think it's of Panasonic manufature as well. I looked at that site but didn't see it there.

I know this post is a couple of years old, but I found the model and make of the tape recorder Mac uses (or at least I think it is). It's not a Panasonic or a Philips, as I've looked at images for comparing. I think its a General Electric Model 3-5121B. I found this picture and it seems to match the one in the film (with only two exceptions: the cover appears to have the metal covering displaying the recorder's manufacture is removed (and the metal scrip next to the mic appears to be normal in fact) and the text on the strip indicating where the play button is a black box with white text (similar to the area where it indicates the record button). Check and see.

Picture from the film.

Tape Recorder.jpg

The General Electric Model 3-5121B

General_Electric_3-5121B.JPG

I was looking at it because I think I found a thrift store that may have one and was looking for reference photos to take with me when I go back up to check.

Last edited:
Excellent find!

Any clue on the microphone to duplicate the whole set-up?
View attachment 282745

Thanks.

But when it comes to the microphone, it's much harder to say for certain because there's not much of a clear shot for a potential reference. I'm assuming it would be manufactured by GE as well, but the problem is that there were many companies that made microphones independent of the manufactures for the tape recorders (to be precise, replacement microphones in case the manufactured ones get broken or lost). I've come across some of them that have similar shape, but the color is different. So, its kinda hard to know for certain if its one from the original manufacturer or a replacement.

But don't take my word on that. Like I said, it's hard to say with what we see of it and so far, I haven't had as much luck in identifying the microphone by picture like I did with the cassette recorder.

Last edited:
Here's a larger screencap, I think CB2001 is close but it could be a different model, the text that says 'AUTOMATIC STOP' at the top of the cassette lid is clearly white text on black plastic, whereas the recorder posted has black text on silver metal.

Attachments

• The.Thing.1982.BluRay[18-12-03].JPG
    The.Thing.1982.BluRay[18-12-03].JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 107
Yeah, I should have updated this thread as I did pick up what I think is an accurate tape player/recorder, but I didn't think there was any interest. I too, would like a microphone to go with mine. I also have plans to isolate the audio when Mac is speaking into the recorder and transfer it to an old audio tape and have it sitting in the recorder. Hit "play" and viola. :)

I'd love to do the same thing. Would be super cool to have just laying on a shelf nonchalantly.

Please update the thread if you get any further.

New update: I found an eBay seller selling the same type of model/make recorder as seen in the film (the auction still has a few hours left on it before it closes). The model ID number that's on the paperwork that comes with the unit is Model 3-5121, no letters following that.

$(KGrHqJ,!o4FHwB39urRBS!prdPkj!~~60_57.jpg

Comparing it to the screenshot, it is 100% a match, including the white writing on black plastic. So, now, we've got a confirmation on the model of the tape recorder for sure. But if you're unable to find the exact one, you can always settle for a Model 3-5121B (the one I found and mentioned earlier, with the silver banner around the cassette door).

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back