Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Denver, Colorado
    Oct 3, 2012, 12:13 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #51

Charles, the controller - absolutely insanely wonderful!!! Top notch, they will certainly be surprised! Very nice indeed!

Rick - Good Luck!!!!! Lots of Red Bull and no sleep oughtta get you there!

-Sean
  2. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER is offline IEDBOUNTYHUNTER
    Oct 3, 2012, 9:22 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #52

Charles. you need to change the title of this to Class A Miniature. its absolutley first rate. great build. what more can i say.
    Oct 4, 2012, 12:41 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #53

Working on the tightest possible schedule, I began detailing the only part of the ship I can––the 'pusher plate'–– until I get the control box and remaining parts from Charles.

The producers asked me if the honeycomb pattern of panels on the module could somehow be accentuated, because they were not easy to see on camera.

Last night I came up with an idea (below in this before and after shot) which is the first detail for the ship I completed. The producers really like the look of it.

[Since I don't have the control box to turn the lights on, I had to Photoshop the painted piece into the photo.]

From
    Back Lot
    Oct 5, 2012, 8:08 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #54

What damage did you have to repair from shipping?
    Last edited by Studio B; Oct 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM.
    Oct 6, 2012, 8:01 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #55

Studio B said: View Post
    What damage did you have to repair from shipping?
    Part of the mounting system in the engine block broke. It caused the engine module to lean to the port side a bit. It's fixed, all better now.
    Dec 28, 2012, 8:32 AM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #56

Back in October I finished the construction on this model that Charles started and then I painted it, then turned it over to the producers.

After a few months of filming, the model shots were inserted into the finished film.

It has been a while since anything has been posted about this, that's because they asked me not to post any photos of the completed model until the movie is released.

Charles and I were contacted by the producers yesterday to say that they plan to announce that release date at the end of this week, so it won't be long until I can post lots of pics.

And now a little about the filmmakers... It is a short movie called "C - 299792 Kilometers / Second." It is the dream project of young filmmakers, Derek Van Gorder and Otto Stockmeier.

Created on a shoestring budget raised on the Kickstarter website, the fascinating thing about this movie is that they were able to achieve stunning visuals using all traditional SFX, and absolutely no CGI.

This decision has peeked the interest of some very impressive names such as the legendary Douglas Trumbull, who graciously invited the young filmmakers on a tour of his personal studio.

The "C" movie is an internet film to be released on the movie website soon. For more information, visit: C The Movie
  7. Wes R is offline Wes R
    Formerly cobalt crimson
    Dec 28, 2012, 10:41 AM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #57

star-art said: View Post
    It would really help though if CG artists studied and understood concepts of physics such as mass, momentum, and inertia.
    The funny thing was in the 90s when I was in school for computer animation they made us take a physics class and the teachers stressed studying things to make them more realistic but it looks like it's been lost since then in movies. I love the design of this ship, personally I'd rather see a physical model augmented by CGI than all cgi any day.
  8. Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Portland, Oregon
    Dec 28, 2012, 11:55 AM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #58

Charles, just got caught up on this thread. Great work! Love that control box!
    From
    Cascade Mountains USA
    Dec 28, 2012, 3:00 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #59

Thanks!! The finished visual effects shots turned out really great. It proves you don't need CG to make impressive images on screen. There is one scene in particular that is so cool, I want to get a poster-sized copy of it to hang on my wall.
  10. Member Since
    Nov 2001
    From
    Seattle
    Dec 28, 2012, 3:50 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #60

wow! I envy the talent and love the build. That ship is beautifully detailed and amazing. It would be great to see it in person and marvel over the small details. I am interested in seeing the movie when it is out.

Wow. Still blown away by the quality and craftsmanship.
  11. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Washington State
    Dec 28, 2012, 5:54 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #61

Realfiction said: View Post
    wow! I envy the talent and love the build. That ship is beautifully detailed and amazing. It would be great to see it in person and marvel over the small details. I am interested in seeing the movie when it is out.

Wow. Still blown away by the quality and craftsmanship.
    Realfiction,

Thanks! It was a lot of fun to build and detail. I wish we had had more time to finish up everything we wanted, but it turned out better on screen than I could have ever thought! The complex lighting really brings the ship alive. Charles did a good job with it, even though it was a real pain to run everything we needed. That models interior is literally stuffed full of wires, fiber optics, connectors and circuit boards.

Rick put a spectacular paint job on it making it a real ship instead of a model and that makes it look huge in the movie. I am eagerly awaiting my copy of the movie.

Richard
    From
    Melbourne
    Dec 28, 2012, 6:13 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #62

This is really cool Charles. Congratulations and Well done. I love the 2001 elements in the design and as a whole it does look very "real". It's easy to see you were very passionate about the design and the job in general. Lotsa talent dude! A thumbs up seems not enough but in lieu of virtual cash here you go.
  13. Choosy moms choose Jif™ RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Dec 29, 2012, 1:45 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #63

Please let us know if/when the film is available to buy/view!
    From
    Cascade Mountains USA
    Jan 3, 2013, 3:50 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #64

The movie will be released on January 28. They have completely revised their Website and posted a new official trailer. You can view it here:

C The Movie
  15. Choosy moms choose Jif™ RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Jan 3, 2013, 4:03 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #65

OH MAN that looks gorgeous!! Congrats to you guys - VERY well deserved!
  16. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Washington State
    Jan 3, 2013, 6:14 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #66

Charles,

I see you made the crew list with a picture even .

Richard
    From
    Cascade Mountains USA
    Jan 3, 2013, 6:48 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #67

They did promise that. Sort of like "Department Heads" in that list. Don't worry -- we'll all be featured in the credits of the film itself.

I got to see a rough cut of the finished film between Christmas and New Years. The visual effects sequences turned out really great. I managed to get some screen shots of my favorite scenes. One of them is attached (posted with permission).

You can see a fleet of these ships in the trailer. Each ship is referred to by the class name and the registry number. The specific ship on which our story takes place is the Kestros IV.
    Last edited by star-art; Jan 3, 2013 at 11:40 PM.
    Jan 4, 2013, 10:33 AM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #68

At long last, here is the Kestros 1...

Here are some screen caps:

Jan 4, 2013, 11:06 AM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #69

When I received the model from Charles, there was still a fair amount of construction to do before I could paint it. The parts that needed the most work were the nose, the inside of the large ring and the rear engine block especially, also all the fiber optics needed to be trimmed and secured in place. I also did a lot of kit bashing where it needed it. I spent the first of two weeks finishing the model...

Then on the second week, I began the painting process. Here are some photos of it near completion...

The ship had to look like its stages were blasted apart. Because this is supposed to be a new ship on its maiden voyage, I was not able to do a lot of weathering, so I especially enjoyed this part. Also, all these openings were empty and needed to be kit bashed. This was going to get a close up, so it needed detail...

Finally, The producer, Otto Stockmeier (left) and director, Derek Van Gorder (right) came to pick up the model. They were very pleased with our collective efforts! Immediately they were walking around it, saying how they couldn't wait to film it from this angle and that. I set the ship up as you see it here with a black backdrop and lighting. I demonstrated the lighting system and how each of the modules fit together. We then packed it in the crate and they took it away to film it.

It was a very successful job. Charles, Richard, Preston and I are very proud of the final model. It looks great on screen. Great job, gentlemen!
    Jan 4, 2013, 2:24 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #70

First time seeing this thread, and man that is an amazing job you guys did! What is going to happen to the model with the movie complete?
    From
    Cascade Mountains USA
    Jan 4, 2013, 2:35 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #71

I'm not quite sure. The producers own the model. I'm hoping we can convince them to bring it to WonderFest 2013!

I must admit I am not much of a Facebook enthusiast. I am registered, but pretty much never go there. But, I was just told they've updated their Facebook page with some photos of the model being filmed. If you're on Facebook, you can view it all here.

For everyone else, I am attaching some of the images so you can see them.

What's really interesting is the model was not filmed using a movie camera or video camera. They opted to use a system designed for time lapse photography. They were quite clever in turning this into a motion-control rig that could be used to film a spaceship miniature very much like ILM did back in the day.

The rig, called DittoGear, provides a robotic track with precisely controlled movements. They used an ordinary digital still camera and took the shots frame by frame. What makes it work is the fact the system can move the camera ever so slightly during each shot to create motion blur. This is what makes the difference between staccato frame-by-frame animation and apparent smooth motion on screen.
    From
    Northern part of Los Angeles County
    Jan 4, 2013, 5:40 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #72

This is absolutely amazing! The ship’s design, details, lighting, painting and weathering all came together so well. You guys make a great team. Thank you for sharing this.
    Jan 4, 2013, 6:51 PM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #73

Thanks!

By the way, there were a few homages to some legendary movie models built into this ship. For example, there are X-wing parts on the engine block, and TIE fighter parts in the nose of the ship. Most of the tiny decals that I applied all over this ship are the same decals used on a lot of Star Wars filming models. One of them actually mentions ILM, but you need a magnifying glass to reed it. The decals were a gift from Jason (moffeaton).
    Jan 5, 2013, 12:43 AM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #74

Thanks for the pics as I don't have a facebook ;p

Wonder if they'd be willing to sell it afterwards :o
    Jan 5, 2013, 3:10 AM - Re: "C" Movie Starship Miniature Effects Model #75

Dao2 said: View Post
    Thanks for the pics as I don't have a facebook ;p

Wonder if they'd be willing to sell it afterwards :o
    From what they told me, they are not going to sell it. I believe instead they made arrangements to have it on display at a library. I don't remember exactly where.