replica Colt Paterson Supernatural

Treeman

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know that there is a RPF user who has purchased a metal replica Colt Paterson pistol, and is working on a solid resin cast of it to be turned into a Supernatural prop replica.

My question...since we have such an amazing collection of talents skill sets available here...why has no one done a full 3D model of all the moving parts and pieces (of which there are several detailed diagrams) of the Colt Paterson gun? Put the parts up on something like Shapeways, and someone with wood working skills could make the handles available (with and without the Supernatural versions).

Actual gun collectors, prop enthusiasts, and especially Supernatural fans and LARPs would kill for a moving replica (not necessarily a firing one).

There is some serious money to be made on this deal! I (and I am sure several others just on this site) have researched the unavailability of this particular gun version. $1,500 to $80,000 is a bit excessive. :cool:

The Swordfish butane lighter version of the US Colt .36 cailber Model 1851 Navy revolver is so close it almost hurts. The trigger, hammer and cylinder all move. If a lighter company can get that close to the gun they were replicating....why can't THERPF.COM ???

So enlighten me....what is really needed to put something like this into production and start making the ones involved some serious cash across several collecting genres?

Well, the RPF is not a profit making company so comparing it to a company that makes butane lighters seems strange to me, I would like to think the main drive behind the members that make replicas here is not purely to make 'serious money' Having said that, why not take the points you have made, gather the 3d model information required and have a go at making the Colt yourself, I for one would be interested

Of course I know that the website is not the seller. Sheese.

Take the coordinated effort involved in the Spiderman webslinger watch. 3D modeling of all the parts, a way to purchase some or all of them as desired. Why don't I take on the Colt repro project? I hate to reinvent the wheel. And quality of product all depends on having the proper tools and the skills to use them. My modeling skills are 30 years out of date. If no one wants to head a group effort of this sort, I don't mind being the central point of contact for the parts and pieces needed. I will even put money into it.

Hyden went to the trouble of buying a full metal replica. They mentioned the possibility of doing 3D modeling of it. If some 3d modeling has been done, it would be nice to see someone make some use of it. But so far he is just gonna offer a solid cast "in a few more months". With the talent available around here, it should not be taking him this long to forward his project. I would hope for more coordination of effort and sharing of skills.

Oh well, this is mainly a rant about wasted effort, that I hope will spur some folks to pool their efforts for the benefit of themselves and prop fans.

Hello
all the best I could find was a Japanese cap gun version of the Paterson pistol the black power one are long out of print had a good local gun shop look for me

Treeman, just fyi: you come across as sounding rather hostile.
Like you're extremely upset that nobody makes the thing that YOU want.

So firstly, just chill out a little :)
Secondly, as has already been mentioned- if nobody else here is willing to make this item the way you want it made, then do some research, ask around locally and look into getting it made yourself.

I could be wrong on this guys, so if I am, please jump in..I won't take offense. I think ALOT of the reason why there's not a metal offering that is built like the Denix type and other old west guns is COST. If they are actually manufactured from a liscensed company, the production cost is usually in a factory set up with unique equipment that is set up to make this type stuff...very expensive equipment, but with them doing 30 different guns the cost goes down. On the RPF there's 1 or a couple of people actually doing it by hand and as talented as people are on here, there's no way the cost of one of their custom pieces (because truly that is what it is) vs a off the line production assembly line is going to be affordable to the average collector, there's just way too many more hours of finish work that has to be done and something that has to be done by hand most times ends up 10 times harder then if you had the resources of a mass produced piece. I REALLY wished that Dennix or whoever would just do a current offering of the Patterson then some of the talented people here could do their special touches on it. Like I said that's just what I think.....2 cents worth and not much more. Plus if you notice the WB/CW hasn't offered the first in Supernatural props....I think they are the ones dropping the ball...They did several items for Buffy..but Supernatural may have a nice fan following...but not super high enough ratings to really put forth the effort to liscense props..at least that's what I feel...going on 8 season..I might just be onto something.

I think taking a mold of a real gun
and put a star in the cable is ... I guess I better not comment
It would be interesting to someone with his bare hands
but as a friend said earlier
Few here have that ability

And when you inquire about the product, they say it's out of stock - because Pietta doesn't make them anymore (and the one Dixie Gun Works has on their site is the wrong one, because it's not engraved).

As I understand it, there IS an RPF member investigating the feasibility and price of making a metal replica...

I've already looked into it using my molds for the Colt and we can do it. Problem is that it would cost at least $1800 a piece.

And that my friend is why cold-cast metal is so popular here.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back