Build a Tesseract, Cosmic Cube, A must for any Avengers Costume! Picture Heavy.

I used wired LEDs and a recessed switch so I wouldn't have to open up the cube unless to change the battery

Sweet! :loveThese are great options and solutions! I have to decide which one I want to use... leaning towards the Tilt switch! hehe get it! leaning-tilt switch, I am so stoopid! :confused

Love what you all have been doing! Kevin that glow is so even and no light spot! Wicked cool!

Glad to be of help! :$
I just had so much fun with it and didnt see an RPF thread to do one, so had to add one. Everyone needs a rainy day project or one so cheap it is a break from the big build :lol I know I did,:rolleyes man I needed something finished and on a shelf to show people!!:cool
Have fun!:cool
M

I'm taking this a step further and making a circuit which pulses the light. I'll post my result once the baseball case arrives, don't have many options here in the UK for that sort of thing. I'm gonna take a look around for a softball case now I think.

Jonny, I would love to see a "How Too" post here for something that pulses or strobes the light! :love
Electronics is not something I have a ton of experience with! Used tons of off the shelf RC stuff, but thats not the same. I was thinking of a small rotor with the two LED balls rotating slowly or a shadow box with strips/or shapes cut out (like those lamps that he a merry-go-round that cast shadow on the wall) to mimic that swimming strobing effect.:rolleyes
Another option is one I saw in a LED project book where the light chases itself. You could make a ball with 10 or so dimmed or lower intensity LEDs then have them chase to create the desired effect... Shame I'm not an electronics guy. The projects look pretty simple.. Maybe I'll tech up after Im done with the armor!:lol

Here's my attempt, and some changes to note.
3 1/2 inches
Different brand cube, without the "teeth", bought at Micheal's
Couldn't find any blue leds, so I bought white and painted the cover with testors metal flake blue
I only sanded and frosted the inside
The brand of frosting I used(Krylon) turned the cube kind of a yellowy color when turned off :unsure

I'm going to make some changes to even-out the lighting, and make it less green. Thanks for posting the tutorial, great for my rainy day today :)

Man I love the creamy swirly effect you got there can you post a couple more pics??
thanks. I think that turned out most movie accurate for photos for sure!! I couldnt get my to turn out that way...i meant to do some with the real camera but keep getting side tracked by things like my Im helmet showing up!! Posted pics in the MK3 thread!!!

Thank you! :D I think mine came out more swirly because I left my cube more transparent, but I like the uniformity of yours :p
Here's a few more pictures than you asked for :lol
Full light, low light, and no light, and a few different angles. You can't tell from the pics, but IRL the cube is more yellow, and the lights are more green. :unsure

My baseball display case arrived today.
Looking at screenshots etc I think the baseball case size looks pretty close, I'd guess the softball one would look too big. But I've got a softball case arriving in the next couple of days as well.

I'll post some pics and a video once I'm done.

You know, scale is such an issue with props and movies!:facepalm I have such a hard time sometimes figuring out what is correct. :confused
In the movie, at times the Tesseract looked smaller and other times larger. I know it depends on who's holding it (hand and body size)and if they are foreground or background. As well, if they are zoomed in on the cube or or actually changing the size on purpose to "emphasize" it's importance in the scene!

Does anyone know the cube measurements from the movie?

I do think you are probably correct Jonny, that it is closer to baseball size, but most likely in my opiniion, it is somewhere middle between the two, but closer to the baseball.
I can't wait to see what you do next!
M:)

Thanks Steam! Love your Cap build! :) That is really nice thread work by the way! My grandmother was a seamstress and I learned alot! LOL!
My ex-wife got the realy good sewing machine!:cry I miss it more than her LOL! It was programmable...:sick she was not hehe...
Are you using patterns or doing it by eye? If by eye, it is even more impressive.
I am going to have to stitch all my straps and pads by hand as well as the covers for my Gatling gun (under armor) mount. They are going to be just sock shaped tubes, but long!:rolleyes

Are you going to build a Tesseract to go with the costume?
If so please post some pics with you in the Cap outfit with your Tesseract!!!
I am thinking of building a Tesseract suitcase like the one in the Avengers to hold it. It would be so cool to be in IM Armor or as Cap with that glowing inside the suitcase!
TTYL\
M

So the more I think on it, I really want to add a build to this Tesseract thread that has the Avengers Tesseract Suitcase.:lol
I know that this thread has quite a few folks looking in and some great comments and input! So someone has to have pics/stills screen shots that they can share for us??? Please!:)
The only, and I mean the only pic I have been able to find is the Hot Toys Case with light up Tesseract. :cry
tesseractsuitcase.jpg

Unless I buy the Fury action figure w/ case, and I dont collect those so that is out, we will need pictures up!!!
So if you can help me please let me know!
I am looking for the case and will post links when I find the exact model. hopefully iy is not a 200$ sharper image case LOL!
What kills me is that I saw a nearly identical case at a Salvation Army store when I was looking for parts for something else I was working on... *sigh*
M

Yeah, I've got my pre order in for the Phase One set. Lots of cool stuff coming with it, including a light up removable tesseract.

Im putting up pictures that I have so that we have a start!
Still havent found and exact match and it looks very very different than the Hot Toys brief case. This case would be easier to find I think... does anyone have an screen shots of the movie case?? If that is allowed?
Wonder if it is completely different too!
I quess any aluminum case would do if you could get the guts to look good? Not movie accurate but good enough for a party..
closeup.jpg

61RpgeAKmbL__AA1353_.jpg

61EEq7O8JL__AA1353_.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back