Build a Tesseract, Cosmic Cube, A must for any Avengers Costume! Picture Heavy.

Hi, Love your project. I thinking about it and have came along a idea. Why don't you try to make something like these lanters with floating colored oil? Just a idea but if you know how to work on it, sure will get a great result like the real Tesseract with the ligh reflecting into the water and the oil.

Hope you try it! Will look amazing if you can do it!

Finished mine for now, need to wire in the tilt switches so I don't have to open and ckose the thing all the time

IMAG0448.jpg

IMAG0445.jpg

IMAG0442.jpg

Sorry about the long delay! Vacation and my laptop died! :cry
Looks great! Can't wait to hear how the tilt switch works! Can you post a type and source! It would be apreciated by everyone I am sure!!
M

The Tesseract case was made for the post credits scene for Thor and is a found item case made by Rimowa. It's made of aluminum, and there is no SHIELD logo on it at all. It's the same case used in Avengers.

Here's mine I made towards the end of May this year.

Used a baseball display case and a string of 10 blue LED lights; works on 2 AA batteries and is VERY bright.

the_avengers_tesseract___cosmic_cube_custom_prop_by_gamera68-d52f5l8.png

Photo hosted on my deviantart page.

Long time lurker, first time poster, (blame Adam Savage and Tested) and I'm from the UK. Naturally I adore the Avengers film, and indeed the films preceeding it, and the Tesseract is probably my favourite prop from the film, and having seen the youtube build, and your write-up electra, I'm having trouble finding softball cases, and indeed Ashland submersible lights this side of the pond, and the expense to ship it from Americaland to the UK is exorbitant in the extreme. Any idea what else I could use to make myself a Tesseract? I had thought of making a system with plexiglass, and some of these novelty LED ice cubes, but I'm still struggling in that sense... I did find these which could be good, but still stuck on the actual outside... A little help for a first time maker across the pond?

Last edited:
Yes I 'd imagine that softball is not all that popular in the UK. Don't Cricket/tennis balls get displayed after a championship match?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRICKET-B...UK_Sporting_Goods_Cricket&hash=item4aadf2966f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tennis-Cr...=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item2c50bc78e5

You'd pay more due to the wood base....but depends on how bad you want one. Chuck the base and you're shiny!

Those cases might work? Cases used for dry mounting butterflies in live positions on flowers and branches might work. I ordered my cases off of eBay.
I imagine they must have LED tea lights or you could buy 2-4 LEDs separate and wire in a resistor....that would be my solution.
The tea light you posted above in blue looked good. The ashland submersible lights are a headache on startup as they need to be positioned in the waxed paper properly to obtain a good diffusion or the light pools or is lopsided... Individual LEDs should have been my first choice..
I could box a case up and ask the post office to weigh in a cost to Wales? Pm me and we can discuss that option. Glad to help out if i can and I have an extra case...
M

Last edited:
Now why didn't it enter my head that people would want to display cricket balls etc as trophies?! You sir, are a freakin' genius! It's a damn sight smaller than 3 3/4" though, which may prove to be a problem...

I had sent off a request for a quote from a laser cutter to see how much it would cost to make one side, and then you can just order how many you would need in multiples of 6... made a sketchup file, just finishing it off ready to send the exported idea to dudes who know how and see how much it's gonna cost.

Either way, my Tesseract 1.0 is on the way to being a real thing. Woot!

These ideas are great! A friend and I are talking about doing this as our first prop build so it's great to find so much info. Thanks!

Hey everybody, I'm new here and wanted to share my test run at the tesseract. I did mine slightly different, I found a set of battery powered christmas lights at walmart called holiday time 30 LED teeny lights. they were about 8 bucks and are just actual LEDs on a strand, no housing. i wadded them up inside of a small 2 piece clear sphere christmas tree ornament from hobby lobby, then frosted it with the valspar frosting spraypaint. I also used this stuff on the outside of my cube like everyone else did. on the inside of my cube I gave it a very light dusting of white spray paint. Wax paper was crumbled and wrapped around the ornament until it completely filled the cube with no noticeable air pockets. The lights run off of 3 "C" cell batteries. the wiring is routed through a hole I drilled into the cube and the eventual plan is to mount it on a stand that will conceal the battery pack.

Let me know what you think!

May I suggest Polyester Fiber Fill or you could use crumbled up food wrap like they did in the CRYSTAL SKULL.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back