Build a Tesseract, Cosmic Cube, A must for any Avengers Costume! Picture Heavy.

Here are a couple caps from the post credits scene in Thor

Screenshot2012-07-23at111431AM.png

Screenshot2012-07-23at111443AM.png

Not sure how different (if at all) the case in the Avengers was though

Re: Make a Tesseract Cheap, easy project. A must for any Avengers Costume! Picture He

Whats really cool is that if you place the lights carefully and then occasionally rotate the cube without being too obvious it gives the appearance of swirling as each face is very different. So 6 sides randomly shown yields the appearance of the swirling inside motion the movie cube had! Slight of hand yields a good result!
Thinking about it a bit, wouldn't something like the internals of one of these toys give you the effect you're going for?

It uses multiple LEDs to slowly morph colors.

I think if you cut it open, take out its internals, swap the non-blue lights out for blue or white and then add a tilt switch, you should be good to go with a cube that actually does change its light effects without the need for slight of hand or, really, without it ever having to be touched at all.

Great! Thanks Kevin! That should make it so much easier to match or come close too! I figured the HotToys might be a "dream case" made more technical and fancy. The shield logo wasn't lit from within by the Tesseract was it? I will have to pull Thor tonight and see if I can get a solid idea!

Got my cube frosted last night and then started on the electronics but didn't have enough time to finish. I should be able to finish tonight, tough part is going to be making a battery clip to take 4 x 3v coin cells.

I want to finish mine up but some family issues have come up and it seems this will be on hold till at least sunday for me =( These all look great though!!!

Re: Make a Tesseract Cheap, easy project. A must for any Avengers Costume! Picture He

Can you pm me your wiring method? I hate opening my cube every time I want to turn it on.

You probably, probably don't want to use a mercury switch...you might look up "non-mercury tilt switches!
Non Mercury Tilt Switch.
Safer if the kids are going to play with it.
I just used the glowballs from Michaels Crafts, I am hoping one of the good folks who posted the desire to wire in tilt switches will be posting soon!!

What I like most about this idea, is that it seems so simple after I read it. Why didn't I think of this before? I can't help but jump right to making all of it from scratch, when the components are available in smaller and cheaper devices. Bravo sir, you've inspired me to take on another simple but awesome project (y)thumbsup

Has anyone tried this using blue LED candles that have a flicker effect? It seems like that would work but I can only find them in a pack of 10 for $30 so I don't want to buy them if people haven't had good luck with them.

Hey EHyde, Joann Fabrics didn't have flickering blue LED candles.:rolleyes .I'll be checking Michaels sometime this week... I was wondering if the flicker effect was the LED bulb itself or the way it was wired? If it is a circuit that makes it flicker you could de-solder the LED and replace it with a blue bulb.. If it the bulb, maybe just buy the bulbs and solder it into a small tea light as they are the perfect size..
That is an idea worth checking into!
I am looking online for blue flickering tealights and blue bulbs!
So disappointed that I wont have my War Machine armour done by Halloween, but the tesseract will go great with my Captain America costume! Ill post some pics when the costume is done..
M

I think it must be the circuit, the ones I found had a few different settings so they could either flicker or have a steady brightness. I did go ahead and order them so I will let you know how they work out!

So cool! :cool I am really looking forward to hearing about this!:) Can you tell us what size are they? I wonder how they will fit easily into the and if it will be easy to get an even glow...Can you post pic and where you bought them or maybe a link to where you got them? Thanks!!
Just full of requests and demands today!:behave:lol
M

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back