Foam materials thread - store, price, density, etc

theotherian

I didn't see a thread like this in this particular forum, and I thought it may prove to be valuable to myself and other newcomers.

I'm looking to start my first project, but I'm having trouble getting started from a materials standpoint. I can see that a lot of the work being done is with foam, and that there's some variability in the foam used, where you get it from, etc.

Sometimes these details are buried within threads, sometimes they can't be found at all, so I wanted to see about having a thread that's more or less dedicated to these details as a good starting off point.

I figure the pertinent details are:
  • What you were modeling
  • The store you bought your foam
  • The state you live in (or whatever detail you're comfortable with)
  • The foam's density (if available)
  • The foam's price and dimensions
  • How versatile the foam is (smoothness, sealing, painting, tear resistance, etc)
  • Any other details you may think are relevant

Again, I'm hoping that by aggregating some of this data in a single place that perhaps it will create a lower barrier of entry.

If a thread like this already exists somewhere, then I wasn't able to find it :)

NOTE: I am constantly updating this post to consolidate info I've found across THERPF. I'm not citing all sources to keep it clean, so if you see your input here, thank you!!!!

I wish this thread had taken off. I just started a similar thread looking for the exact same info, and then it showed yours in the "similar threads" section. I will be posting my results if I have to figure things out for myself.

Online foam suppliers:

Notes for my Iron Man build:

Good Pep glue for paper modeling - Zip Dry paper Glue

Turning helmet lights off automatically - light sensor from a night light

Last edited by a moderator:
Subscribed! I was just looking for info on this too. I need to make some Sith armor and decided foam was the way to go, but other than googling EVA and buying blind, I'd like to have some idea of people's experience with vendors and what types/thicknesses are suitable.

I'm updating post #2 as I find resources scattered throughout the build threads. Since I am attempting my first Iron Man build, the list will be made up of the actual items I purchase and use for that project as well.

For what it's worth, here's the info I have so far:

I am making Iron Man Mk4. I bought rolls of foam in the form of 6mm antifatigue mats from Big 5 (I live in UT, USA). It looks like this. You can buy it from sears/KMart online, or sometimes at Sears stores. Or Big 5, at least where I live.

Downsides: Heavily textured on one side, and the smooth side is full of tiny pockmarks (I imagine they're from bubbles when the foam was cured from a liquid state. Not sure). They mostly fill in well enough with white glue, or bondo in the case of larger holes.

It was $25 per roll, and that was 46" x 96" so almost 4 foot by 8 foot. Large pieces. In his thread of the same build, user jjones appears to be using the exact same thing.

I think it's a decent but not perfect foam. But it's cheaper than many other options out there (I may be able to complete the entire suit with just the two rolls, so $50 for all of the foam).

I haven't done too many paint tests yet.

Hey Zlurpo and anyone else reading this. I picked up that same foam at Biglots for $18. So you might want to check there if you have one. It was up high on the shelf and could have been easily missed.

I can vouch for foamorder.com. I used the 6mm EVA foam from them for my suit and it's pretty nice. Totally smooth on both sides. No holes or pockmarks that I (or my cat) didn't make myself.

Plus, I live in San Francisco where they are located so I could just go down to their store and pick it up. I ended up using 3 rolls and still have some left over.

You can see my suit on my thread here:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/first-time-build-yes-its-another-iron-152887/

Hey Zlurpo and anyone else reading this. I picked up that same foam at Biglots for $18. So you might want to check there if you have one. It was up high on the shelf and could have been easily missed.

Thank you! I have one near where I live, I will go there for sure if I need more/do more projects!

I don't see it on the Big Lots website so I can't add it to post #2. I will head to a Big Lots tonight to see if it's in store somewhere.

I picked up the 6-pack tonight for $20. It's smooth on one side, and I saved on shipping, waiting, etc... I think it will be ok. I'll have to go with 6mm another day.

6 24"x24" tiles for $20 at Northern Tools (10mm)
Tuxfn.jpg

4 24"x24" tiles for $9.99 at Harbor Freight (on sale, normally $14.99) (1/2")
5eoF2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey I'm from Australia and I got my foam from a place called the foam booth it's 6mm Eva foam... The density: One in 30kg/m3 and the other 75kg/m3... Wasn't cheap though the 30kg was $20/m2 and the 75kg was $40/m2... So far I've been though 6m2

Don't want this to come off as a double post, but I just got back from Lowes and got a few things. I needed a new hobby knife, but came across another blade for other projects. These were clearance items.

7 Piece Tool Set
(Comes with a hobby knife and an additional 3 blades and 3 different pairs of scissors)
IMAG0363.jpg

Price: $2.99

4 Piece Knife Set (2 Snap blades, one foldable knife, and set of blades)
Price: $4.99
IMAG0364.jpg

The cost of the folding blade is about $8 alone.

dude, go to my youtube channel and look at the first tutorial. i cover all the basics of what you need and i think most places that you can find them.
and there was no specific thread just for this. just many, many, many threads asking the same question. but the powers that be, have never made a sticky for it.

dude, go to my youtube channel and look at the first tutorial. i cover all the basics of what you need and i think most places that you can find them.
and there was no specific thread just for this. just many, many, many threads asking the same question. but the powers that be, have never made a sticky for it.

I think the goal is to have *lots* of resources about this in all one place. What works for you might be perfect for someone else, or it might be useless as they live halfway around the world. Always good to collaborate!

Much appreciated. However, just showing people options. The hobby knife is for foam stuff. The foldable knife is for other needs, but someone may like it better. Foam materials do need a sticky though

Sent from Teletran One

Last edited:
What about filler on foam seams? I'm starting a Mark VII and I've been sanding some curved edges (shoulders) to get them smooth and round, but there are a few gaps I'd like to fill. I figure bondo is overkill but layers of glue might not hold up.

Maybe as I get better at cutting foam (switching blades more often basically) the gaps will minimize, but in the meantime....

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back