Cpt America USO Girl Costume

Lady Arwynn

I need help.. there was a Facebook group dedicated to creating the USO girl costume from the movie. However I can't find it anymore.. the link is gone. Can anyone point me to where the resources might be now IE a new webpage, etc??? I was hoping to make this costume for DragonCon and have purchased the ahrd to get pieces/fabric previously.

Yikes! :cry

Thanks for any help in advance.

Okayyyyy.... so I see no one has got the info I need here. But fortunately I don't want to give up on this since I previously purchased the special sequin fabric and gloves from the costumer's group a while back. Im posting here what Ive found as sort of a "checklist" in case others want to create this costume. Once I am done constructing it I will post my in progress and finished pix. [Edit: All is well now...see below messages :thumbsup]

[Edit: I am creating the promotional tour dress - Blue bodice with sequin lapel and the red/white skirt as seen in this still: http://blog.costumesinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/uso2.jpg]

Generic "shopping" list:
Fabric: Red, white and blue satin; special sequin farbic (for the lapel)
1) R/W/B - Casa Collection Satin from JoAnn's fabric *I couldn't find red from Casa so I was okay with going with the "costume satin" for the red and white skirt panels. satin*: Shop | Joann.com
2) Sequin fabric - best match is from a place in Los Angeles, CA (USA) but I dont know the name. One of the gals on the costumers group did a bulk order and we purchased from/through her to include the gloves. [Edit: It is from Fiesta Fabrics in LA but ordering can be difficult as they are a bulk order warehouse. If you search for other options (the gals have and haven't found a better place) it has to be 5mm or 3/16" sequins on a stretchy metallic fabric. It is just easier to get on the costumer group and getting in on an order. Message the lady below to join the group]
3) Buckram - or stiff material to make the hat.
4) Petticoat netting - to add a little body for the skirt, this piece can be optional.

Shoes: Silver and glitter "dancing" shoes - I bought mine from here: Sparkling Glitter Upper Dance Shoes Ballroom Latin Shoes for Women More Colors - US$ 17.99

Notions and extras:
1) Three 2" silver stars - one for the hat, two for the lapel. [Edit: 2.5" stars, available here: https://www.laughinglizards.com/checkout_success.php]
2) 48 star flag - optional
3) Wrights red binding tape - the edging of the petticoat. [Edit: Extra wide double fold binding tape; satin if price is not a problem]
4) [Edit: Nude fishnet nylons - http://www.amazon.com/Capezio-Fishn...rel&qlEnable=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1308261211&sr=1-2]
5) [Edit: Gloves - White Satin gloves - 15" 8 button length]

Patterns:
1) Several gals used the Simplicity 3784 pattern and modified it.
2) Skirt - drafted pattern was made by the group but I remember enough that I think I can make it with a little bit of math and sewing knowledge
3) Red cumberbund - also drafted by the group..should be rather easy to create a pattern
4) Hat - rather easy (I hope) construction if you have the right sequin fabric
5) Lapel - another drafted pattern from the group..going to give it a try

Here is what I found still useful:
Captain America USO Girl - CLOTHING
Anaria's Costumes - Star Wars, Sci-Fi and Comic-Book Costuming
Kay Dee Costumes - Captain America USO Dancing Girls
Captain America USO Girl

Last edited:
You didn't go unnoticed, sorry, but I didn't have the info you requested.
I hope that your work goes well and you attract the attention of those that can help you contact the USO group.

You didn't go unnoticed, sorry, but I didn't have the info you requested.
I hope that your work goes well and you attract the attention of those that can help you contact the USO group.

That's good to know! I was thinking all the visit count was people wanting to see a pic of a USO girl in costume only LOL

I checked out your link... Love the shield sketch and paint job... I may make a shield instead of trying to scramble and find a 48 star flag online... hmmm :)

Hey Lady Arwynn, I'm a member of the costuming group you are looking for. Kathy and Victoria had to change the group to private because we were being harassed by the USO…Long story but we are still on Facebook!

Anyone that would like to create a USO costume or are
interested in joining our continually growing costume group should PM us via our public Facebook fan page here: https://www.facebook.com/CaptainAmericaGirls.

Last edited:
Lady Arwen - please PM me! I'm the founder of the group (along with Victoria - but all the tutorials are mine) and due to some issues with the *real* USO the fan page was unfortunately removed by Facebook (I need to start another one). The costume construction group is still there - but you need to PM me to coordinate a way to get into it. - Kathy

Last edited:
I was thinking all the visit count was people wanting to see a pic of a USO girl in costume only LOL
:)
Well, they are better than the Iron Maids.

Glad the Cavalry arrived, have found that everyone here is very helpful.

Just let me know if you need help with a shield. I think all the info is there to do it. Hope the photo of the sketch is large enough to be useful, but, If not I can send you the file.

I would love a file! I will PM you with my email. I love shields but that is because I like to participate in medieval armored combat. :cheers

Yup, we got her in.

And for documentation record... the petticoats on the costumes are not made of netting. It seems to be something like silk organza. It was a slightly stiffened sheer fabric. If not silk, a high quality synthetic (not the cheap sparkly sort of organza you find at JoAnns - that's not it at all).

Yup, we got her in.

And for documentation record... the petticoats on the costumes are not made of netting. It seems to be something like silk organza. It was a slightly stiffened sheer fabric. If not silk, a high quality synthetic (not the cheap sparkly sort of organza you find at JoAnns - that's not it at all).

I will see how the stuff I got works... my JoAnn's is limited and I think it was because they got wiped out by the people doing wedding dresses. I heard this summer had more than usual for this area.

I was able to get the appropriate fabric for the petticoat... I have 99.9 of my costume done. Just need to add the red tape to the petticoat edging and snip any stringys lurking around the seams.

Shoes came in but I am not home to try them on.... Im really keeping my fingers crossed for them to fit right off the bat because I do not have time to get new ones.

I was able to find the nude fishnets but will probably wear nylons underneath like some of the girls said they did... sounds like a good idea to help make my pasty white legs less pasty white!

Sounds like you are well on the way to success.
You can add my crossed fingers to your hopes for the correct shoes.

Sounds like you are well on the way to success.
You can add my crossed fingers to your hopes for the correct shoes.

I sure hope so too! Im committed to not only do the parade but also the masquerade shindig they are putting together. We are learning choreography via youtube videos so Star Spangled Man show here we go! :love

My friend and I were at DragonCon this year and just loved the Captainette costumes! Is there any way to still get the draft patterns? I would just love to make one of these!!

FOR THOSE LADIES WANTING TO MAKE A CAPTAIN AMERICA USO GIRL DANCER COSTUME :)

I realize a lot of people who are looking for information on making the costume have stumbled on Sandra (Lady Arwen's) post here about her build. She has some incomplete info on materials, patterns etc here but all of our complete and up to date information is located in our facebook group. We always take new members. Rather than trying to take a guess at how to make the costume (unless you are into doing your own thing), we encourage cosplayers/costumers who are interested in joining our continually growing costume group to PM us via our public facbook fan page. (Just send a message via the fan page and we'll get it) We can then assist in helping you you access to the complete information on how to build the costume.

Send Admins PMs here for information on the USO Girl Costume:
https://www.facebook.com/CaptainAmericaGirls

PMing individuals privately on facebook looses the PMs in the "other" folder so that is why it is important to go to the fan page and send a message there. That way myself (Kathy KayDee) Kristina, or Lady Arwen will see it.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back