3P0 variant

GKvfx

Sr Member
So, after toying around with one of skaught's IG-88 castings, I decided to tackle a droid of a different sort - a C3P0 (or variant). To me, if you are doing a C-3P0, you have to vacumetalize it in gold or it just won't look right. I kinda wanted to avoid all that so I settled on just doing a "generic" 3P0, along the lines of the white protocol droid we see in the Rebel Command Center in EMPIRE.

I found a fiberglass casting here in the junkyard for what seemed a reasonable price. (I guess I should say that I have 0 experience/expertise when it comes to 3P0's - so if someone says that I've bought a recast or a knock-off (and someone has), I'll just apologize if I've offended anyone.) I kinda liked the idea of fiberglass since it will allow me to do a lot of work on the head without flexing it. (I'm not going to be wearing it.)

I have no idea of the origins of this particular casting -
attachment.php

The front/back pieces were pretty good. But the eyes and ears - not so much -
attachment.php

I may not be an expert on how 3P0 was made, but I do know that the eyes are key to pulling this off. I knew they would have to be re-done from the start.

I kinda wanted to make this an interactive piece. Wanted the eyes to light up, make the brain plug thingee on the back of the head removable to see the CPU (yeah, I know I'm crossing my STAR WARS and TERMINATOR streams here......), and see some details in the neck. Not going to go full PHANTOM MENACE, but wanted something to tinker with with my godsons who are old enough to start doing science projects in school and learning the various functions of the parts.

For the neck, which will also be a base, I got a 4" diameter styrene pipe couplers from the hardware store (OSH here in Ca. carries them). I cut the bottom at an angle with a Dremel and used the scrap piece on the other side to fill in a gap and add some level of detail.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The holes in the neck line up with the bolts in the ear pieces. This way, I can bolt the head together, and to the neck, at the same time. When it's all together, it sits at an angle - not vertical:
attachment.php

attachment.php

On a recent raiding trip to Norton Sale or Apex or C&H (I forget which.....), I came across a cool looking stainless ring that just happens to (with a slight styrene shim) fit inside the neck -
attachment.php

There's a lot more shiny bits of metal that go inside this thing, as you will see as this thing progresses along.

Enjoy.

Gene

Clever with the neck as the base. Can't wait to see more.

There's a bit more to the base, but yeah, the neck is going to be the main support. And with that hunk of stainless in there, it should balance it out.

The next part were the ears. The castings were only vaguely round, but I liked the idea of a bolt going through the ears, through both front and rear faceplates and into the neck.

Luckily, I had some round metal parts I picked up @ C&H a while ago -

attachment.php

I know they don't match, but they are the right size. And since I'm not doing that gold guy, I claim artistic license.

Here's the result -
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

With some white auto primer, it should all balance out.

I also had some cool parts to use on the CPU plug thingee on the back -
attachment.php

Cool thing was, the inner diameter was just the right size for the plug.

The flat plate, which has a 3" diameter was cut from 1/8" Sintra -
attachment.php

I borrowed a 3" hole saw and basically bored a huge hole in the back of its head -
attachment.php

Made a hell of a mess, but was done in 60 seconds -
attachment.php

- and yielded a clean hole for the new plate -
attachment.php

attachment.php

Gene

Funny, I've been thinking of doing the Red R-3po, but keep thinking if I do one protocol droid it has to be plated...

Nice to see a new build.

Funny, I've been thinking of doing the Red R-3po, but keep thinking if I do one protocol droid it has to be plated...
When we first see C-3PO with coverings in ATTACK OF THE CLONES, he is not plated at all, rather a dirty grey metal finish, though the plated look does complete him.

A very cool build.

Very cool work so far.......

Thanks Jez. Not that it matters at this point, but can anyone tell me the lineage of this piece? Is it a recast?

i did one a while back

Love the weathering Zorg. Anything I do is going to have to be really subtle since it will (likely) have a white finish. I would love to do a plated one - I think you can get some astounding finishes by combining the shiny of the plating with the flat, dull colors of the weathering. Maybe the next go-around......

Again, the stash from good 'ole C&H Sales turned up something that was just perfect for the antenna. I have no idea what this was - an axle of some kind -
attachment.php

I trimmed it down and rounded out on side so it would fit with the contour of his head -
attachment.php

I found a washer that was the correct diameter. I'll pick up a couple more and add them to it -
attachment.php

Here's a sneak preview of the eye grills -
attachment.php

My first attempt was an epic fail, but I think this will work. I'll document the steps later........

Gene

Thanks Jez. Not that it matters at this point, but can anyone tell me the lineage of this piece? Is it a recast?

ITS A RECAST OF ONE OF MY KITS, DONE BY MLC AKA MARDON AND HIS PARTNER IN CRIME TK409.

Love the weathering Zorg. Anything I do is going to have to be really subtle since it will (likely) have a white finish.

I DID A WHITE ONE TOO, SEE ATTACHED PIC

I would love to do a plated one - I think you can get some astounding finishes by combining the shiny of the plating with the flat, dull colors of the weathering. Maybe the next go-around......

I'VE DONE THAT TOO AND IN FACT I'M JUST FINISHING ONE UP.

just found a pic of a shiny gold one i did (not plated i know but hey) with matt varnish , brown , black for the weathering,

if it was chromed i think the effect would be a little better.

-z

Well..... crap, Zorg.... I feel kinda bad for getting suckered at your expense. Especially since I seem to keep bugging you about doing another 2-1-B......

Gene

lol hey i'm not bothered, as far as i'm aware they are no longer making them......after they got busted.

hope i'm not derailing your thread by posting up pics?

i do like your neck portion you made, i might have to steal your idea :love

just found a pic of a shiny gold one i did (not plated i know but hey) with matt varnish , brown , black for the weathering,

if it was chromed i think the effect would be a little better.

-z
If it was a "pristine" version, I'd agree. As a weathered version I think it's spot on. (y)thumbsup

If I may ask, what did you use for the gold basecoat?

lol hey i'm not bothered, as far as i'm aware they are no longer making them......after they got busted.

hope i'm not derailing your thread by posting up pics?

i do like your neck portion you made, i might have to steal your idea :love

Go ahead and keep posting, Zorg..... Great stuff..... I have to admit, I got the idea for the neck from the Prequels "Chronicles" book - and it went from there.

On to the eyes.

So, it was pretty obvious I had to ditch the (re-)cast pieces. Just ouch. I hunted around my scrap bin for some thin-walled tubing that I could use for the eyes. I happened to stumble across a couple of wheel hubs from an RC car that had bought years ago for something else. The outer diameter was close and I figured a Dremel would make quick work of the interior spokes -
attachment.php

I ran a bolt through the hub so I could chuck it in a drill press -
attachment.php

- I just used sandpaper and a block to reduce the outer diameter so it would fit in the socket.

Once that was done, I used a Forstner bit to grind away most of the spoke and open up the I.D. a bit -
attachment.php

- finished it up with a Dremel and wound up hand sanding the interior to get it smooth.......

I'll get back to the slats in a bit, since I've only got the one made and need to finish the other. But the discs were relatively easy. I got some light grid material (I know it isn't accurate, but I had some and this IS a variant.....), taped it to a wood block and used a hole saw to cut out the discs -
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The disc that comes out is just slightly oversized. It had to get chucked in the drill press and sanded down to fit.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

The back pieces were done in the same fashion.

I picked out some grain of wheat bulbs and glued them to the back plate -
attachment.php

And the brass tube serves as an alignment lug for the whole unit -
attachment.php

Looking at the thing lit, I realize I need to reposition the lights and get them out a bit more (they look too close to the center), but that is relatively easy -
attachment.php

attachment.php

Kinda looks spooky in that last one, just with the one eye lit.........

More later.....

Gene

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back