Cobra Commander (80s Version)

Seems like, in addition to that central bend, it ought to be cambered top to bottom. I can't find any side-views from the cartoon offhand, but as I recall, it has a sort of bubble appearance from the side, rather than being a straight line. It also appears to come inwards pretty significantly towards the chin, rather than just being cut into a point.

Seems like, to get that close fit from the cartoon, rather than have it as one solid piece, it might be easier to strap the visor to your head like a mask, and then just set the helmet over top.

I found some military style patterns (for suits) at JoAnns that my wife is going to alter to look like the Commander's outfit. The blue is the most difficult thing to find though, we've been to a few fabric stores and couldn't find an exact match in the fabric I wanted. But, I'm really not to that point yet and I have moved states since we last looked. Hopefully I'll have better luck here. The rest of the outfit isn't to difficult to get/make. For now, the focus is on the helmet :) Best of luck and let me know how it comes along! I might have to pick your brain on some stuff :lol

I'd check online fabric stores, most will offer a small swatch for free or at least for super cheap so that you can see if the color and texture is what you want/like. If it were me I'd be be looking for either suit material or, better yet, something like a wool gabardine kind of material that's used for making military uniforms.

this is super. colour me impressed with how smooth you cot the helmet, and that blue is a perfect match. concerning the visor, making a blank out of fibreglass and Bondo, then vacu-forming would be a great idea. I would recommend building a vac table (you can do sir for less than 50 usd) as simply heating clear plastic will yield an uneven look. one thing i have learned is that metallic window tinting does not particularly like compound curves, much less seams. though you could probably get around this by slicing the tinting down the centre of the mask. alternatively "Mirrachrome" , or "Alsa stretch chrome film". Over all, super job, can't wait to see the finished piece!

Rnc

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back