boiling foam suits,

Hammer

so i was to a party the other night, showing off my iron man helmet and neck in a suit, was awesome, but 5 minutes in i was sweating like a fat guy in the sauna, so my question is, how the hell do you make it less ****ing hot, i´m seriously considering installing fans in the back piece and tubes around the body!

the helmet is made with 10MM foam and coated with glue and then Plasti dip, eyes is 9 diode´s in every eye and a plastic lit, so i can look out of it,
most of my work (rookie work) can be seen here for the ones who wants to look War machine foam build by Hougaard | Facebook

282662_10151883133335594_960190368_n.jpg

Armor is excrutiatingly hot. I know a lot of the guys on the 405th put small battery packs running computer fans into their helmets and upper torso armor.

Good moisture wicking underarmor and a balaclava (head sock) can help a ton too.

Last edited:
Underarmor a must
Computer fans hooked up to battery packs for armor and helmet a plus. When building, I allow for space to put such items into place.

By the way, does sweat damage the foam inside ? Is it better to coat it inside too with PVA or a fabric material ?

Why not use a cooling vest?
You can put ice packs in them and such. Really nice ones are available that are very thin, but they can get rather pricey.

Perhaps it'd be a good solution? And you can find them in many different styles, fits, etc.

Cheapey one.
A different style.

sweat really doesn't, and most EVA mats are actually waterproof. to add more comfort, using fabric to catch excess moisture helps. Cotton fabric, if you want to know.

Wore my first build to HeroesCon two weeks ago and sweat nearly the entire time... Beer never tasted better!

Underarmor or Nike DriFit are on the top of my purchase list for the next build. The fans sound like a great idea, actually. Anywhere that a gap or hole exists in the build, I was thinking of using some thin mesh or something along those lines.

The evaporative cool vests for motorcyclists have potential to last longer than the ice pack vests. These are much cheaper too. Anyone try ever try them?

My ironman suit benefited from the under armor heat gear shirt. If you aren't suffering then you aren't costuming.

*prays to the thunder gods that we have a cold Halloween this year!!*
Last year was like 80 degrees. I'm gonna be upset if I finish my build and then it too got to wear the dang thing! o_O

Ive been planing an IM suit for a few weeks now, and cooling fans have been part of my design for a while. i am planning to put them in the thighs, back, forearms and helmet. the smaller fans (40 - 70 mm), are avaliable in in thin depths that make em easy to squeeze into armor.

No idea, but I would be interested in the answer! Nice work on the helm btw.
thanks Helagak this is my third foam piece ever made, first the war machine helmet which looked descent but my foam cutting technique blew so the helm got a bit crooked and i counted to much on the pva coating to close the gaps which it does but not very well, then the shoulder that went a lot better, when i trace onto foam now i put the paper piece on and pin it and cut it there instead of tracing it. dunno if that's how pro´s do it but i found it way better, with this plasti dip my brother had in his workshop which i stole really gave it a much better finish, but it cracks a bit and its kinda a latexy finish, next build i´m gonna plastic coat it, just haven't found a supplier in Denmark:(

i have fans in mine. it helps, but i have room for them in a gundam. this is what you have to risk when you cosplay.
but things like ironman dont really have room for fans to be effective. you need to have some sort of air flow around your body and vents for inlet and exhaust. what type of under suit are you wearing?

I have a pretty advanced cooling solution worked out for my suit. With proper regulation, I believe that the heat transfer should work flawlessly. What do you think?:
Miller%20Lite%206pk%20Cans%20WEB.jpg

ok, cause drinking while in these things can quickly cause heat stroke.
nothing like waking up in a hospital with your costume cut up cause you decided to be a knob.
and no, i have never done this. im smarter than that

when i wore it i had none, only wore neck and helmet with a suit, but i plan on wearing very thin skiing underwear i got in the army, worked perfectly back then and hope it will work out well too, and i plan on wearing a mask like this
diverse_held_hjelmhue_9250_01_110_160.jpg
for the sweat not to get in my eyes and everywhere

ya. those are head socks. great for covering your head. they keep a little heat in, but keep the sweat off. no matter what, with foam, its insulation, it keeps heat in. i break every 30 min and have a camelback

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back