Captain America's helmet -> speed-peping foam file.

I've finally made mine up for my Avengers Cap, WIP and finished pics are in the thread in my signature :D

@Billymaya: I used the SmoothOn 65D process on mine, it worked fairly well however there was a bit of an issue with it running down the curves of the helmet and not coating properly (pics of what I mean are in my thread). I would suggest if you're going to go that route that you coat in fairly 'flat' areas, ie I ended up breaking the main curve from front to back into 3 sections and coating them one at a time so that they could be put in a relatively flat position so that the coating didn't run and pool.

Thanks for the advice P4r4dox86 :) did you have any problems once cutting it into 3 losing the shape of the pieces? i see a few people are having problems with runs and pooling there must be a better way to coat it on im wondering if the more layers you add the less the runs will show up and then give it a sand for a smooth finish maybe

I didn't actually cut it or anything, what I did was, tip it onto it's back and lean the top of the helmet against something solid so that the front of the mask was horizontal, then I coated it until it started to curve back towards the top of the helmet, then I stopped and let it dry. Once it dried I would sit it back up normally and coat from the part I finished across the top until it started to curve again and would then stop and wait, then tip it so it was laying on the nose part and coat from my finish point to the back of it, that way it gave me 3 semi-flat surfaces to coat rather than trying to coat from front to back and ending up with it not working properly as it did with the first coat I tried putting on.

The issues I actually had weren't with it running/dripping as such, the effect I got was almost a pooling, like if you tipped water onto an oiled surface. It was weird and I'm still not exactly sure why it happened, but it seemed to be much less of an issue on flat surfaces.

ahhh right i see what you mean now ive had a look at your build thread kinda like crators on the moon effect, sorry for the confusion if i get round to trying this method ill let you know how it goes :)

My friend is going to be very annoyed when I show her this. She has been making one out of paper and the pva reacted to the resin making it turn into a mush. This will be a big help.

This MIGHT be a dumb question, as I'm just starting to look into pepakura files and stuff, but is there a way that I could download what you did, and then edit the dimensions to fit my own head? So that its a really tight fit?
Any responses appreciated

Also, to jump on the new post bandwagon, I assume the parts won't print onto a single piece of A4 paper?

I.e. what I've started is to print the file on multiple pages (the top of the helmet is rather long) and then will join up the pieces to make one single template to transfer to foam.

I hope I've explained that right. It made sense in my head :lol

Any help is appreciated. I'm doing this build as an introduction to pepakura, then depending on how I get on, a Mjolnir MK VI suit is next :)

this captain america is quite hard for me haha omg i suck with foam really bad. its been my 3rd attempt and i havent got anywhere near as good as yours man and the funny thing is i have enough foam to build one more... lol

Amazing work! I was wondering, did you use the default scale of the pep file, or did you have to make any adjustments? Thanks!

Re: Captain America's helmet -> speed-peping foam file.

Great "easy" start files, im going to use this as my first stap into foam building.

Thanks,
-R-

Last edited:
Super silly question (and I posted a similar one in your Iron Man thread) but I am wondering, when I go out to buy foam, how much will I need for this project?

Thank you so much!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back