revisiting the jayne troublemaker t

stormtrooperguy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
so, as i was tormenting myself with serenity stuff at propstore.com, i saw that they had the yellow t shirt with the gun on it.

hopefully linking to their pic is OK here...

Serenity-JayneShirtDispay1.jpg

the text of the listing it what interested me...

"Made by ‘Old Navy Brand’ this Medium sized yellow t-shirt has a print of a gun of the front and Chinese-style characters. "

Old Navy Brand, eh?

i poked around online and found this:
http://www.marsclothing.com/Old%20Navy.htm

looking at that picture, the banana/navy looks pretty close. ;)

so, i ordered a couple from that site. standard disclaimers about indoor lighting, color cast, etc... here it is:

normal_jaynet.jpg

if it's not the exact shirt, it's good enough for me.

and from looking at the prop store of london's photo, i think the approach i'm going to take for the graphics is inkjet printer iron on paper. i think that will give me the faded, cracking kind of look in a very realistic way.

i picked up 2 of the shirts, so i've got 2 shots to get it right. i'll try the iron ons on some white shirts first to get the size right.

anyway, i figured i'd post here in case anyone else wants one of the shirts. if this is old news then, well... uh... sorry :)

It definitely looks like a simple iron-on inkjet job - notice the dark backgrounds behind the chinese characters. I don't think that's intentional. If you need help with the graphics, i might have some time this weekend to tackle it.

So the t-shirt should have mega short sleeves. The replicas we have cover too much bicep and just do not look the part as a result.

<div class='quotetop'>(kurtyboy @ Nov 1 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]1348708[/snapback]</div>
So the t-shirt should have mega short sleeves. The replicas we have cover too much bicep and just do not look the part as a result.
[/b]

That's what I've said from the beginning when discussing this shirt. I've not seen any with the correct length sleeve. I wonder if he had them shortened to show off the "guns". ;)

<div class='quotetop'>(SurferGeek @ Nov 1 2006, 11:06 AM) [snapback]1348710[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(kurtyboy @ Nov 1 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]1348708[/snapback]
[/b]

That's what I've said from the beginning when discussing this shirt. I've not seen any with the correct length sleeve. I wonder if he had them shortened to show off the "guns". ;)
[/b][/quote]

i was wondering about that too. the ones on the old navy shirts i got aren't super short either.

if they used a standard old navy ringer, they wouldn't have had the baby doll sleeves, unless he was wearing a woman's shirt, so maybe it was altered.

on that note... as for him wearing it: the prop store says it's a medium. he's MUCH bigger than should be wearing a medium, so on him that would make them look really small too.

Perhaps they did use a womans shirt just to get the short sleeves? We need someone to try on one of those old navy shirts and see how one that's too small for the person fits.

I think that is a damn close shirt...I wonder if they ship to Canada?

<div class='quotetop'>(dr_slurpee @ Nov 1 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]1348728[/snapback]</div>
Perhaps they did use a womans shirt just to get the short sleeves? We need someone to try on one of those old navy shirts and see how one that's too small for the person fits.

I think that is a damn close shirt...I wonder if they ship to Canada?
[/b]

well, the medium fits me like you'd expect a t shirt to fit. definitely no little sleeves for me. then again, i wouldn't want to wear one that fit like that, so i'm happy to be inaccurate there :)

I'm amused at the thought of Jayne realizing he was wearing a girls shirt...

Nice find though. Hope anyone that who makes a nice iron on pattern will post it here.

i did up my iron-ons tonight...

Photo_20~0.jpg

epson iron on paper, canon pixma ip1700 printer, using artwork posted by sith sherrif brody in the old thread researching the shirt.

not bad. not bad at all.

i flubbed the first try, trashing the extra shirt i picked up. #2 worked out ok though.

<div class='quotetop'>(Lingarn @ Nov 8 2006, 01:03 AM) [snapback]1353183[/snapback]</div>
That looks really good.

Do you have any plans to try and age the print?

Lingarn
[/b]

my guess is that 1 washing and it will "age" itself ;)

it also doesn't really show up in the crappy webcam shot i did, but the artwork has "cracks" in it to begin with.

i'm still not sure if this is a costume, a collectible or a garment. maybe a bit of both. i still have 1 shirt left to make a 3rd one. i'm saving it for after the first washing though.

Shirt looks great. I picked up my own Jayne shirt from cafeexpress many months ago and I love it. Your's is by far more screen acturate though.

where did you get the actual graphics?

nevermind I just read it. :$

Looks great. A friend of mine wanted one of these a while back. He bought the Old Navy T-Shirt, but I couldn't find the artwork. I went looking for what Sith Sheriff Bordy posted, but the image was gone :(

a couple summers ago, old navy had what they were calling "vintage fit" t-shirts, they have the shorter tighter sleeves... just my two cents

<div class='quotetop'>(Zeppo @ Nov 8 2006, 12:48 AM) [snapback]1353202[/snapback]</div>
Looks great. A friend of mine wanted one of these a while back. He bought the Old Navy T-Shirt, but I couldn't find the artwork. I went looking for what Sith Sheriff Bordy posted, but the image was gone :(
[/b]

we have a winner... :D

"a couple summers ago, old navy had what they were calling "vintage fit" t-shirts, they have the shorter tighter sleeves... just my two cents"

that seems far more likely the case than a baby t...a medium in that would not fit him at all...keep in mind that women's "baby t" shirts are just boys' t-shirts...no way was he wearing a boys' medium...a vintage fit medium i can see though...skott

<div class='quotetop'>(mtsbspidey @ Nov 8 2006, 02:08 PM) [snapback]1353446[/snapback]</div>
that seems far more likely the case than a baby t...a medium in that would not fit him at all...keep in mind that women's "baby t" shirts are just boys' t-shirts...no way was he wearing a boys' medium...a vintage fit medium i can see though...skott
[/b]

yeah, my wife ruled the baby doll out right away. ;)

the vintage fit might be the answer. i have a couple of their newer ones, and they are definitely trimmer than the regular fit. i've never seen a vintage fit ringer, so that will be something to keep my eyes open for.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back