Spiderman web shooter: A collaborative project.

epilepticsquirl

Sr Member
So I've been having this idea nagging at me for the past couple of weeks; and with the release of the new spiderman movie I figured this would be the perfect time to introduce this project.

Long ago before I joined this board I've heard of tales where members would work together on group projects. Everyone would gather the same materials and build their props as a group; spanning the globe even! This idea fascinates me to no end and with the current state of technology, I believe we can take this to the next level.

I have here a template of sorts of the web shooter from the movie that I replicated based solely on the 3D references that have been out. I didn't even reference any other members build.
View attachment 101689
View attachment 101690
View attachment 101691
View attachment 101692
View attachment 101693

Now I've purposely left off some detail on this model. This is where you guys come in. I want to see all the different creative ways you guys can finish off this model! There are so many different options that you guys can add to this shooter! You can leave it as is and have a stunt shooter, or you can really trick it out and add gears a processor and even LED's! Not a fan of the steampunk look? Well modify it with wires and small techno bobs and bits. The point is with a dremel, glue and your imagination the possibilities are endless!

The only requirements I have with this model are two fold, and one is that you MUST share your progress here with the rest of us! In order for this group project to work we need the input of all the members to share the work they've done with their projects. I believe if we all share how we finish off the shooters that we can achieve something awesome here. Best of all, this can be had for a minimum amount of money because I'm offering the model free!

Lastly I must ask that no monetary gains be made with this model; or with any run associated with this project. If you're going to offer something do it at cost. I want everyone a fair chance at making their own shooters.

Shapeways is showing that this model can be printed for about $22.00. This is assuming you have everything polished and the nozzle printed in Ultra Detail. Cheaper options are available but that is what I strongly recommend.

Thr shapeways links can be found in the JY. A simple search should turn em up for you to purchase. :thumbsup

Here are the final dimensions of the shooter that I did based on member input.

View attachment 101685

So let me know what you guys think and if you will be participating in this group project!

and lastly, here are the 3D files for your enjoyment!
View attachment 104893

spiderman-web-shooter-collaborative-project-free-model-proof-12.jpg-102784d1342039569

----------------------------------------------------
**UPDATE!!!**
My 3D print has arrived and it looks awesome!
The nozzle came out unreal, all the small details were captured just as I modeled them. Unfortunately it's extremely difficult to capture it all with my camera! I can not wait to get started on these puppies!
View attachment 104733
View attachment 104734
View attachment 104735
View attachment 104736
Also, this was my first time working with Ultra Frosted Detail and I couldn't be happier with the results. The detail it's able to capture is remarkable to say the least.
One criticism I do have is that the bezel is a little thin by itself. Once it's on the base it's no problem but I can certainly see now how the material behaves when it isn't modeled properly. An awesome learning experience to say the least. :):thumbsup
7631675882_2a139a0634_c.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Spiderman web shooter: An RPF collaborative group project

FAQ's

• Wait, you're giving the 3D model away for free?
Yuppers! The purpose of this project is to get together and come up with different ideas and methods to finish off a Spiderman Shooter.

• How come you didn't detail this model with cogs, gears, and a processor?
A couple of reasons. 3D printing, while being amazingly awesome, is still limited by what it can do. I could certainly model the individual gears and have them printed in Ultra Frosted Detail. However the cost for that would be substantial, especially considering you can get a small bag of watch gears for about $10 on e-bay. That comes out to about $5.00 per shooter for real brass and steel cogs that you can use to trick out your web shooters. I don't know about you, but I don't feel like painting those things!

• So can I modify the model so I can add stuff?
You most certainly can! That's why I uploaded the model, so that everyone can have a chance to modify and have an affordable web shooter option.

• Can I mold the pieces and do a run in the JY?
That's one of the caveats to this project, absolutely no Monetary gain can be had with any runs associated with this project. You want to do a run? Do it at cost.

• So how do I go about getting a web shooter for myself?
The easiest method, and the one this project was designed around, is to have them 3D printed! You can certainly use whatever method is easiest for you, but I suggest Shapeways for their ease of use!

• That sounds great, how do I get started!
There are two ways.
You can either use the model I provided and upload to shapeways yourself, or follow the links I've provided to get them directly from shapeways without having to upload them. They are provided at cost and no monetary gains are made here.

• So what materials should I get them printed in?
There are really only two materials you need worry about. They are White Strong and Flexible Polished and Ultra Frosted Detail.
Everything but the nozzle should be printed in White Strong and Flexible Polished. This material gives an almost finished quality with minimal amount of cleanup work at the best bang for the buck. Ultra Frosted Detail is needed for the nozzle; this material is incredibly accurate and best suitable for small detail parts, it's also on the more expensive side but since the nozzle is so small, it shouldn't be a factor.

• What if I want the costume version?
It's easy, just don't have the bezel printed bringing your cost even further down! :lol

Last edited:

Aren't models priced by volume? So in either case it would cost the same?

They're priced by how much material is used. Just to give an example, the bezel is coming in at $5.84 for the WSF polished option. This is possible because the walls are about .02" thick. So the base being a slab of solid plastic is naturally going to be more expensive.

Great question though; i hope that an added benefit of this collab is that more people will become experienced with the printing process and get a better understanding of how it all works.

Yeah, this came up once or twice at my studio. With a handful of people trying out 3d printing for the first time, it was new territory. I never did get a chance to test it out, until this reminded me to do so. But pricing by the amount is material used rather than volume is good to know.

As a fan of Spider-Man and hero/scifi movies in general, I'm interested in seeing where this project goes.

Thanks for the input, I hope this project can really show how awesome group thinking can be.

I did some tweaking to the base of the model and was able to hollow it out and add .03" walls. This brings the cost down from $15.00 WSF Polished to an affordable $3.81 WSF! I also did some thinking and realized that this portion of the model isn't really shown as it's role is a support piece from which everything else sits on top of. This means that it really doesn't need to be polished like the others, which brings the cost down some more!

I also did a couple of more tweaks to the model including notching out the bezel arms to add in the strap bars. Small metal tubing can be purchased at your local home improvement or craft store so I won't bother including them.

View attachment 100929

I also added a notch on the top of the "face" to make adding the red glass a lot easier.
Here's an awesome idea I received concerning the glass:
I did however, have an idea on replicating the transparent red "lens" for the circuitry covering that i'll share with you. Shapeways material Transparent Detail is pretty awesome stuff. After being printed, its rather frosted and hazy but after a nice high grit wet sand and polish on both surfaces it becomes very clear. From there all you'd have to do is dye the piece red in a hot water RIT dye bath (or Smooth-on dye) and it'd be perfect. To control clarity on the piece, you could wet sand only one side and leave it a little more opaque than totally clear. Or you could hit it with a satin or lacquer clear to finish it off. All up to personal preference i suppose.

So there we go, I'll add the glass in at a bit and see where we're going.
My original thought was to cut and dye the plastic from the clam shell packaging material. Something that's always in abundance!

Just to summarize, here's a breakdown of the parts list available for this open source project:

Watch Face.......= $3.69 WSF Polished
Nozzle...............= $6.26 Frosted Ultra Detail
Fluid Cartridge....= $3.60 WSF Polished
Base.................= $3.81 WSF
Bezel................= $5.84 WSF Polished

Bringing our total to about $23.20
That means we can have two shooters for less than $50.00 in base materials. How awesome is that?

I'd love to hear feedback on this project and what kind of improvements can be made.

You've already put so much into it, I'm not sure how you could make it better or cost less without sacrificing the balance of quality and cost. Obviously details could be added, but like you said keeping it simple allows for some post production(printing) modification and customization.

I see the possibility of various adaptions of the parts. Like different web nozzles, web fluid packs etc., but what you have now is really solid.

Hopefully more people will chime in...

Re: Spiderman web shooter: An open source RPF collaborative project. Now with mockups

Got some more updates!

I adjusted the thickness in the bezel to .03" instead of .02". I feel this will give it just a tad more durability with the bigger walls. I also adjusted the base to accommodate the new thickness.

Here I printed up a 1:1 mockup of the shooter for my wrist. I think that it is just a tad bit too big. Now keep in mind I'm 6'1 with the frame to go with it. The kid playing spidey in the movies is a twig compared to me. I think a 15% reduction would be perfect. Thoughts?

You've already put so much into it, I'm not sure how you could make it better or cost less without sacrificing the balance of quality and cost. Obviously details could be added, but like you said keeping it simple allows for some post production(printing) modification and customization.

I see the possibility of various adaptions of the parts. Like different web nozzles, web fluid packs etc., but what you have now is really solid.

Hopefully more people will chime in...

Thank-you for your kind comments, you get exactly what the purpose of this project is!

Just for reference here is an overlay of how my model ligns up with the real deal. Looking at it now I see that I need to adjust the length of the fluid cartridge to account for the angle of the picture. Almost missed that!
View attachment 101098

Re: Spiderman web shooter: An open source RPF collaborative project. Now with mockups

This is a great idea, and it's looking awesome so far! Definitely interested.

you could take some cost of by removing the bezel section if we wanted it for a costume i have a place in the uk that will print them for about £20 i we had the print the top red blue and green bit as one section that clips onto the base you could buy these 50g watch parts STEAMPUNK JEWELLERY ALTERED ART CRAFTS CYBERPUNK COGS GEARS ETC | eBay pick the most accurate ones and attach them then clip the top back on

Excellent suggestion with the cog gears, looks like you could easily outfit both shooters with your hearts desire with those!

I saw your other build and was wondering if I could trouble you with the general measurements of your bezel? I'm trying to scale it out but I don't have a watch to base it on, only pocket watches. :lol

I shall get some measurements wen I get home tommorw

awesome that'd be great, I liked the size of the watch that you used.

Just so that we are all on the same page. Before I release the model and links I want to verify that it is indeed printable the way it is and that the scale is to our liking. Once I'm satisfied that all the bugs are worked out, then it'll be available for everyone. ETA on that is hopefully by the end of the week.

Interested as well. This could be fun.

Small update:
I adjusted the holes for the strap bar to better accommodate where the strap should sit. Seeing as how not everyone will have access to a spare bar, I figure most everybody can get their hands on some tubing, either from a hobby/craft store or a home improvement store. I figure that you could place the bar inside the recess, and fill with epoxy to seal it in. It's going to be made up of plastic so it should be an excellent mechanical bond.

View attachment 101261

I'm just waiting on a good watch bezel measurement to go off of as this still just a tad big.

Re: Spiderman web shooter: An open source RPF collaborative project. Help with scale

Man this seems like it is gonna be a winner. Good thought squirl. I am in aswell

Re: Spiderman web shooter: An open source RPF collaborative project. Help with scale

Will you be making two different versions, since the left and right web-shooters are mirrored, or will there just be one?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back