Spiderman web shooter: A collaborative project.

Re: Spiderman web shooter: A collaborative project. FREE Model now Available!

Welcome to the board, glad to you have here!
As for your question, in essence yes. The website you're talking about, Shapeways, is a company that offers affordable 3D printing. You simply upload the 3D model and they will "print" it into a real, physical, tangible object for you to finish off. I'll PM you the thread that has more information and a link to actually place an order.

i'm going to be getting some stuff in soon from them that's really small and detailed: hands for a transformer toy. So i'll post pics to show how the detail is on that too.

Oh cool, do you remember what material you had it printed in? I've been trying to find that little dead space pendant to post up but for the life of me I can't remember where I placed it. The WSF picks up a decent amount of detail for what it is and that pendant was a good example of it.

Found it!

Ok, by way of reference here are some decent examples of the material we're working with here.

I haven't printed in Ultra Frosted Detail before so I can't comment on that, but Finhead posted some awesome pictures of a 1/4 scale helmet he had printed in the material.
http://www.therpf.com/f11/1-4-scale-iron-man-mark-vi-150302/#post2320826

I modeled the nozzle according to the spec sheet given so we should be good. :thumbsup

Tolerances can be a little wonky though so keep that in mind. The model will still need work done to it but it's a fantastic base to work off of. Anyway, onto the nitty gritty.

White Strong and Flexible=
This is the standard material that most everything in shapeways is built upon. It's a decent material that will withstand some light abuse. It captures some detail but is no where near the accuracy of Ultra Frosted Detail. The finish however is pretty rough. Here's a super close up pic of a projectI had printed in WSF a year back.
View attachment 101936

White Strong and Flexible Polished =
The same as WSF but this time they add a finishing process consisting of a "bath" of microbeads polishing the surface and removing the rough texture. The result is a nice, smoother, surface. Work still needs to be done to make it look presentable but it's a lot better than plain old WSF. Here's an extremely large picture to give you a better idea. And just for reference, the bottom eye is .2" across and that first step is roughly .01" raised from the surface, with the third step .03" raised from the surface. Since the Face of the shooter and Bezel lack any small details like this, it's an ideal material choice for what we want.
View attachment 101935

Printed Metal =
Some of you were wondering if metal might be a cool option. Yes and no. It comes out as a pitted texture and is a PITA to finish off to a smooth finish. The detail it captures isn't that great but hey, it's metal. Would make a cool battle worn version though!
View attachment 101937

Last edited:

This is fantastic! Thank you for doing this. I didn't realize 3D printing could be done so cheap. This opens up a whole new world for me. Major karma points to you epilepticsquirl.

Thank you so much for creating this! I can't wait until some extra money to buy one for myself!

For the red cover I was thinking of using RIT Liquid Dye on some of that sturdy plastic clamshell packaging everyone hates so much. You could also try and use lexan or any other thick plastic really. I incorporated a small lip into the face of the shooter so you can experiment with different plastics and materials.

On a seperate note, lookie what my USPS driver delivered to me today!
I can't believe how small some of these parts are! Watchmakers must be certifiably insane to work with such small and delicate parts day in and day out.
View attachment 102348
There are some things you just can't duplicate with a 3D printer. :):thumbsup

I was looking at those exact same parts on ebay. Etsy has them available and you can also stop by your local clock shop and ask if they have any, sometimes they will give you an entire busted clock piece for free.You just have to take it apart.

DO NOT under any circumstances try taking one apart without getting it from the clock shop. Before they give them away they deactivate the springs.Those thinsgs are under a tremendous amount of pressure and can do a lot of damage if you dont know what youre doing.

Re: The open source Web Shooter project. Free 3D Model and at cost printing.

Anyone have any idea what to use for the Red Centerpiece?
The-Amazing-Spider-Man-Peter-Parker-Web-Shooter-Design-9.jpg

could we not do another 3d model that clips in using the red strong plastic shapeways offers ? when i say we i mean someone who knows what theyre doing i can just about do a circle on 3D designs :L

The centerpiece looks like a red PCB with a 36 pin SMD chip soldered on. I'll have to take a look in my junk box to see if I have something like that. Any idea on the chip dimensions?

Also one way to clean up/smooth printed metal parts would be to use a rotary burnisher in a Dremel followed by a very fine sandpaper and steel wool.

Re: The open source Web Shooter project. Free 3D Model and at cost printing.

could we not do another 3d model that clips in using the red strong plastic shapeways offers ?

That center portion is a SMT IC under a red tinted glass. I can certainly model the glass/plastic to be printed in shapeways, but personally I find it silly to waste $5.28 on something I can readily find for free. On top of that the amount of finishing work required to get it nice and clear is just not worth it IMHO.

i was thinking purely for perfect sizing and being able to get the lines on the shooter i suppose it all comes down to my unsteady hands and trying to cut out the circle to match it perfectly would take me a decade lol

Oh I understand, perhaps a member with a laser cutter could lend us their services. :love

Just ordered 4 sets of these, the second set I ordered in scouole of the odd materials, I'll post pics when they arrive, working on electronics boards for them now, I'm trying to see if I can fit a PCB inside with a sequencing light pattern for the lights on the side, and a scouole surface mount LEDs for the main light under the PCB. I wouldn't mind ordering a clear disk from shape ways for the main red circle, not really sure what to use on that part. But thanks so much for offering these! I used to own one of the concept shooters for the Rami film, the one thing I regret selling!

too bad we cant get an electronics person in here to identify the model number of that chip.I have contacts in China who could make 1000 of em for us without even working up a sweat.

since the chip is under plastic it shouldnt be that hard to make something very close with 2mm foam and some craft paints.

So was really looking forward to these being delivered but then received this a moment ago...

Dear Michael,

We regret to inform you that one or more models in your order were rejected and can not be produced. Given the nature of 3D printing (converting digital files into physical products), every now and then we catch designs that will be too fragile to create. Though we do our best to defy the laws of physics, some things still remain out of our control.

We have informed the shop owner about this and we will do our best to resolve this problem soon. Please contact him/her for additional information by going to the shop and clicking on the "send message" button.

(in the event that you are the the designer of these models you will receive another e-mail)

So you have the full context, we were unable to 3D print the following designs from your order:

- #345407 Shooter Face Left 1 x $ 3.37 Thin walls : Min thickness should be at least 0.7 mm
- #345410 Nozzle 2 x $ 2.16 Thin walls : min thickness is 0.7 mm

We have canceled these parts and have created a credit coupon for you to use for an updated model, or a different design of your choosing.

Coupon code: irni8
Coupon amount: $ 8.00
Expiry date: 2013-07-10

You can use this coupon until the total amount is reached. Once you've added the designs to your cart, you can apply the credit in step 3 of the checkout process by entering the coupon code and clicking the "apply coupon" button. Please note that only one coupon code can be used per order and be aware that you must enter the coupon before you reach the 'Pay with Paypal' step of checkout.

If you do not wish to order anything else for the moment, please let us know and we will arrange a refund.

So sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for helping us make ideas real!

Kind regards,

The Shapeways Service Team

Any one else?
Not sure why the face shell right was not rejected....

HELP ME PPL lol :-(

See i got the same thing ..... But only for the " shooter face left "

They said nothing about the nozzle.... What material did you order it in ? I ordered frosted ultra detail

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back