RTV Urethane Questions

Bftiedt

Hey guys I am finishing up my Iron man helmet and a friend wants one so I plan on casting mine. I have been looking at supplies for the process and RTV silicone is a little more pricey than what I would like to pay. I have been looking into RTV Urethane instead. I know it requires a release agent but seems like its a viable option and less pricey.. I was wondering if anyone here could help me out a little and tell me if there is some reason RTV urethane WILL NOT work? I found some videos on youtube from smooth on about there urethanes and it looks like it would work just fine for what I need.

Any advice, pros and cons, or tips in general would be great.

Thanks guys,
Brandon

This is also a 3 piece helmet if that matters at all.

First mold I ever made which was for my IronMan helmet was out of urethane. Looking back the 20% I saved was absolutely not worth it.
Silicone is just much easier to work with. IMO I would just go with a tin cure silicone rather than a urethane for a helmet mold.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking the silicone would be easier to work with but as little as im going to use it ( maybe just once) im not sure what to use. How flexible is the urethane? Thanks

I have to agree with Finhead here - You're going to want to use silicone for your mold.

Or if you have an incredible amount of time on your hands and are hard up to save that $, you could go with a latex mold. It will shrink slightly, but you should be able to get decent results if you take your time and put in the man hours to layer up the material.

I see you are also in Nashville! - If you need any help/advice with your molds drop me a line and I might be able to give you some pointers.

Somewhere I have a list of the pros and cons of using urethane and silicone. The one thing that I remember is that urethane molds have a much longer shelf life. Some guy told me about seeing a WWII urethane mold.

I've used RTV urethane along with cabosil as a thickening agent for full torso molds and have had great results. They're still in great shape too after about 6yrs of storage.

Do a brush up mold. SO you use a think coat of RTV Silicone. Check out the SMOOTH ON WEB sites for HOW TOs.

Words to live by:
"There is never enough time, or money to do it RIGHT, but there is always enough time and money to do it over."

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back