The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

GeneralFROSTY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
With so many members showcasing progress on their own shield - and me wanting to do the same without having yet another personal thread, I thought it would be nice to have a community "Work-in-progress" thread where we can all upload our progress photos and share ideas.

Big thanks to those RPF members (and you know who you are!) who have contributed so much valuable information and tips on painting this shield, I hope to have you join in on this.

Below is my first attempt.
This was meant to just be a practice run and I will be stripping this thing clean and do it over. That being the case, I did not bother to do a completely perfect masking job.

06.jpg

I learned a lot about how to work with this paint and am confident I can doo better next try.

This was done with completely warmed-up paint cans - and yes, I believe I will be shaking them much more inbetween coats next time.
Painted laying horizontal on a lazy suzan rig.

11.jpg

I can see why it is suggested to paint these vertical - the paint does not "spot" as much as is apparent in my test I did on a metal paint can.
The metal can was painted vertical in several light coats with the final coat a tad heavier. It was wetsanded then clearcoated with Krylon SATIN clear:

09.jpg

Here is just the blue - which I went too heavy on - next to a metal paint can lid painted in the red. Again, the lid was painted vertical, wetsanded and then clearcoated in Krylon Satin.

03.jpg

Buffing the paint proved to be most helpful in retaining an even shine and was buffed again after the Satin clearcoat (the clear helped to reduce the uneven paint, but not toally. Buffing helped bring out the anodized metal shine).
While others have been clearcoating in a gloss, I feel Satin better retains the anodized metal look and keeps the sheen more in line with how it looks in the movie.

Stripping this should be a fun and messy adventure, but I am looking forward to improving the paint job next time.

Great idea here! My new blank will be here in a couple days, but I wasn't planning on starting up another shield thread. I'll definitely add my WIP pics here. I also plan on using a satin clear as well

First off.....I hate you because this is a gorgeous shield.

Second off...I hate you because you have real MAG's and a Rocketeer rocket pack!!!!

;)

Your test shield looks great. I'm sure the next round will look perfect. And I agree the satain clear is the way I'm going with mine, just have to get aroudn to sinking my stars in.
Look forward to seeing your completed shield. :thumbsup

This paint is so tricky. I really took the advice of Valor and I can see how he says that there is a "sweet spot" where the paint is perfect - a smidgen more and it turns opaque and ruins the effect.

:$
It looks great so far! I like the "candied" red the best. It's def more screen accurate. Hey who's robo helmet is that in the background? LOL

Robo has to hang around for at least another week.
It's been so humid lately that I'm concerned about cure time, so just on the safe side I will have to be an uber geek and have a RoboCop helmet and Captain America shield hanging around the shop....

I tested the Pactra, and I had no luck with them. Let me know if you get any different. The testors is by far the best out of the can for me.

Is that shield made out of Billet Aluminum? What is the material exactly? My family and I are moving and would love to have that to put up in the new house. Any ideas of where I can get the metal pieces and do the painting myself? Thanks in advance.

Whats the testors paint called? I like the Duplicolor because its laquer based.

Candy clear red and transparent blue. They are enamel based though I believe. Tamiya's clear red and blue sprays are also laquer based, but their shades are far off, the blue are too baby bluish, and the reds are too light and pinkish.

Krylon also has anodized spray cans. I saw them at Walmart. Any word on those? I've always been happy with the quality of Krylon so I may pick them up to try.

I tested them a few times back early last year... they were ok, but very blotchy for me. They seem to give a better look on the darker grey steel sled shields though.

Krylon also has anodized spray cans. I saw them at Walmart. Any word on those? I've always been happy with the quality of Krylon so I may pick them up to try.

I tested them a few times back early last year... they were ok, but very blotchy for me. They seem to give a better look on the darker grey steel sled shields though.

I used those on my first shield and was very unhappy with the results. The red is far to dark and, as Chris said, blotchy. Stay away from them. I like the duplicator paints very much!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back