The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

One other thing I wanted to mention, I did NOT clearcoat the bare metal ring. I just think clearcoating the alluminum takes something away from the natural sheen and color of the bare metal.

Well, the aluminum will then continue to oxidize until it looses it's sheen. Also, any finger prints or anything else will dull it quickly. There are some great clear coats to preserve it. I love the testors semi gloss laquer

We have a gigantic box of shop cloths here which are just recycled shirts. I just picked one that felt right and buffed with it.
Keep in mind, that choice was made purely to experiment. After this is stripped and repainted, I will use mu full size buffing tool.

QUOTE]

Hey, thanks! I think I might take the wetsanding tactic on my next attempt. I've collected lots of good buffing t-shirts, but I maybe this means I should get a buffing tool as well. :)

Can I ask what grit you used to wetsand it? I'm really afraid of losing of the brushed aluminum look by sanding, but you seemed to preserve really well. That last pic you posted looks just about perfect to me.

I'd guess you want REALLY fine sandpaper.. like 1000 grit.

I used some super-fine sandpaper I got at my hobby shop. I think it might be 1000 grit.
I went with the grain.
That pic of the paint sample I did on the paint can lid - that was sprayed verticle, wetsanded, buffed and then satin coated. It's as smooth as can be AND I did not lose the anodized finish.

I've heard of people using pantyhose to buff paint though I never tried it.

For anyone else interested in having their shield painted, we are making a jig that will hold the shield verticle and spin, be temporarily screwing the shield to the jig through the center hole.

Thought I'd share this neat pic. Was watching John Carter last night and the trailer for the Avengers came on. Couldn't resist snapping a shot.

DSC01407.jpg

you know I'm reading over this thread and the amazing thing is what you guys are saying look like crap still looks great. All of you guys have got some great talent and eye for details thanks for sharing hope to share my own pic one day soon!!!!

Gorgeous. I'm going to be painting the blue of my shield this weekend. I've primered it with the Duplicolor adhesion promoter and letting it cure a few days first. Really hoping it goes well.. here's hoping.

I just got done doing the testers candy clear red. I'm amazed at how awesome it turned out. I'll be doing the blue tomorrow, after I let the red cure up.

Hey, question on taping. What is everyone using? I've got the blue of my shield done and I'm happy with it. I'm ready to paint the red rings next, but I'm concerned about laying tape on the blue stuff. The tape I used previously left a little gummy residue on some spots I pulled it off, so I'm afraid it'll do that to the blue. The residue came off with a little alcohol and a rub, but I'm concerned that will just screw up the blue. Any suggestions on a non marking, gummy, tape or how to protect the blue while you do the red?

I've been using simple masking tape. I haven't had any issues. I think you really have to make sure not to leave it on too long.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back